collapse

Author Topic: hunt for red treasure  (Read 11961 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: hunt for red treasure
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »
Hey Byers sorry I have ben swamped and had not had the chance to mail it but I will get it in the mail in the morn I promise ! I all so threw in a coupl other diving dvd's you might enjoy I will get them from you at the camp out at ocean cove later in april.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Calif_Diver

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »
How about fanning and a beer?I'll be ur partner

Ok  bring Corona and  a palm frond or two . :laughing7: :laughing7:

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
How about fanning and a beer?I'll be ur partner

Ok  bring Corona and  a palm frond or two . :laughing7: :laughing7:

Pacifico and lime for me and I'll bring the now turned grapes to wine.  :occasion14:   

Offline Kali_Diver

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
Trophy Divers dive for trophy abalone. Pretty simple to me.

Offline RudeView

• RudeView
    • Rude View
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2011, 10:53:56 AM »
I have to say... I am very disappointed in the nature of some of the comments on this thread. First off, Hunt for Red Treasure is very cool. Whether you like it or not, you have to respect the effort. I personally think it is the best representation out there about a sport I love.

As for the personal attacks being made on Jack Linkins, they appear to be based upon pettiness, ignorance, jealousy, and immaturity. I know Jack Likins, I know him well. He is an honorable man and very good diver, and yes, trophy abalone diver (the title is self defining...)  I was with Jack during the MLPA process. Because he took a different stance on a specific proposal from someone else does not warrant the type of visceral personal attacks that I have read on this posting. Anyone who thinks they were going to influence the outcome of the MLPA process is naive. I personally championed the cause of not closing any area where there has been historic shoreline access to the public. I am sure there will be those who will now target my name because of this post, if so, so be it. I just could not sit by and see a good man's name slandered so blatantly and unjustly. I do not know the individuals making the comments, but I do know Jack and his involvement in what they are commenting on, so I do know how wrong they are. I am also disappointed that comments of such a nature would be given voice in this forum.
There are lots of wrong ways to do the right thing, but no right way to do the wrong thing...

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 11:21:29 AM »
Hey Roger I don't agree with some of the comment's either but we try to run an open forum for all to speak there minds !! Kinda like freedome of speech, we try not to censor anything unless it is a racist or of  sexual content !!! That is what makes this country so great ever one is entitled to there own thought and view points.

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
I gotta say...

Red and I must almost be kindred spirits.  I have been diving abs for 25 years, have never found one bigger than 9.5, can't make any depth below 25', have no access to private areas, and ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF EVERY MINUTE.  Every ab I have ever taken have been trophies for some reason or another, from my huge black to the 7 incher I took during bad conditions opening day this year....They all taste like winners to me.

As far as targeting only 9s, 10s etc...Not gonna happen, when I drive 3+ hours to get there...I can spend a few hours in the water, but don't care to.  I am in it for the caloric value, and will target big'uns until I get tired...then I fill my limit.  Some days that may take an hour or two.  Opening day this year, I was in and out of the water in less than 45 mins...by design.

Then only thing RAD and I don't seem to agree on is making diving a competition.  Have seen too much bad acting when people compete for food, be it fish, abs, deer, or whatnot. 

But as Matt sez, this is an open forum...and I love it that way.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 12:50:08 AM »
I gotta say...

As far as targeting only 9s, 10s etc...Not gonna happen, when I drive 3+ hours to get there...I can spend a few hours in the water, but don't care to.  I am in it for the caloric value, and will target big'uns until I get tired...then I fill my limit.  Some days that may take an hour or two.  Opening day this year, I was in and out of the water in less than 45 mins...by design.

Then only thing RAD and I don't seem to agree on is making diving a competition.  Have seen too much bad acting when people compete for food, be it fish, abs, deer, or whatnot. 

But as Matt sez, this is an open forum...and I love it that way.
Totally understand that need:as for targeting only 9s, 10s etc...not going to happen. And in fact the fishery is designed around anything above 7 is legal for some specific reasons, one biological productivity of abalone and another very, very, important consideration is; truly the DFG wants individuals to be successful because successful abalone divers are happy abalone divers and it is the happy abalone divers that support the 15.9 million dollar per year industry that abalone diving is.

Quick facts about abalone diving demographics:
Each year 35K to 43K abalone cards are sold. Sonoma and Mendocino county's account for 4K of the card sales and the vast majority of the card sales are from Bay Area county's down to Monterey and then the Central Valley county's. ~30K+ abalone divers travel about 2.5 hours+ each way to participate in the sport. The 15.9 million dollar per year abalone industry is part of the 180 million dollars California recreational sport diving industry. The DFG RAMP balanced (supposed be balanced)budget has averaged ~ between 700K dollars per year.

Maodiver as for abalone competitions, not sure I followed your drift there. Personally I am not for abalone contest; right you are maodiver, I to believe contest make people at time do funny things. However to be honest, I did enter the 2007 Randy Fry comp only because at the time I was the MLPA, NCC-RSG rep for recreational abalone and spearfishing. You know, being the rep in all I though it would be a good idea to get out and meet the constituency so why not enter the contest right.  Talk about the pressure being on for that event for me, trust me the process relief valves were stuck wide open, total pressure. Well, in fact I went out with only two hours left in the contest, hopeful to at least show or place right. Needless to say I went to the best place within the shortest distance with the best chance to find a ten inch abalone. After 40 minutes in the water, under a rock way back in there was a huge abalone. Popped it and bobbled it and out of air but sure it was going to be a ten. Together we came to the surface. Measured it at the tube, crap it's not a ten but at least this guy might place. Yep you guess it, that 9.588 inch abalone won the abalone division. That was fun and that surely was the time to win one! I have not entered another abalone contest since that time nor prior with at the time 30+ years of abalone diving under the belt. Abalone diving for me has always been me and the mother ocean and my ability's, nothing more nothing less. For the guys who want to compete go for it. Hope you don't mind if I sit that out though.

A few post back someone asked me to define trophy abalone diver. I don't define it by only taking 10 inch abalone, although at this time I do not see taking only ten inch abalone as a bad thing either. I define trophy abalone as being able to recognize the area's that have the best chances to produce ten inch abalone and there is another consideration that is in play, which is seldom recognized and not discussed about that often which plays an important roll, genetics!! But generally and I wrote an article about this for Pacific Freediver, and I do believe this should be practiced by all abalone divers is knowing how to harvest abalone in a sustainable way.               

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »
What I was trying to say about competitions is just what you explained in your last, RAD.    I believe that concentrating people on a cove/section of the coast, all looking for the biggest and best leads to both extreme machoism and overcrowding the resource.  If that's your bag...enjoy.

I have seen the waste involved in Spearfishing comps firsthand, and have seen how spearfishing comps can destroy the fishery of the small area the comp takes place in. 

I can compete with myself, and don't see the need to compete against others.  I grew up with a brother who made everything a competition.  Been there...done that.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 11:51:10 AM »
What I was trying to say about competitions is just what you explained in your last, RAD.    I believe that concentrating people on a cove/section of the coast, all looking for the biggest and best leads to both extreme machoism and overcrowding the resource.  If that's your bag...enjoy.

I have seen the waste involved in Spearfishing comps firsthand, and have seen how spearfishing comps can destroy the fishery of the small area the comp takes place in. 

I can compete with myself, and don't see the need to compete against others.  I grew up with a brother who made everything a competition.  Been there...done that.
Hey we are good with that perspective and insight to.  :sunny:

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
I find it funny that the reasons you guys are citing for not liking the competitions is the reason I do like them.  Obviously I'm not talking about any negative impact on the fishery, but the self inflicted pressure to perform.  Competitions remind me that no matter how much planning and prepartation I put in to an event the ultimate authority on dive day is the ocean.  I enjoy spending a day or even two before a competition "scouting", but what I'm really doing is getting into a mindframe.  I usually do not dive on competition day in the same spots I was the day or two before so it's not like I marked an ab or a spot where there might be a big ling.  My own experience is that the more prepared I am or the more I expect to do well the less the ocean cooperates and therein lies the lesson for me. 
The thing I find pleasing is the lesson that it's not how well you do but how much fun you have, and the day or two before is always the most fun for me, meeting new people, diving new coves and on competition day I'm more interested in how my new friends do than myself.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do well in the competition but if I expect to I've already lost.  In the rare case that the universe cooperates that makes it all that much better, and it also adds to the experience of winning if it doesn't happen every time.
competitions remind me not to be so competitive.  Sounds silly huh?

Abdvrob

hunt for red treasure
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
To each their own!
Dive safe everybody.

Offline Kali_Diver

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »
Really interesting debate as far as the comp diving goes.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 01:46:42 PM »
wow this started out as a thread about the movie Hunt for Red Tresure but now has morfed into a thread on competive diving and dive comps !!!! to each there own as long as they are following the rules and regs and are having a good time and enjoying them slefs !!! right differnt strokes for different folks !!!

scotty_rez

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 04:38:28 PM »
To be honest I'm too lazy to read all of the posts so I don't know how the thread changed to comps but to answer one of your questions there's a couple copies of the video for sale at the shop.

Scott

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt