collapse

Author Topic: New Video: Spearfishing Black Rock  (Read 4399 times)

Kirby

New Video: Spearfishing Black Rock
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
Hey Guys.  I just realized, after posting this video on Spearboard, that the crowd on this forum would be more appreciative...since you guys are used to diving in poor conditions, this will be more up your alley than those from down south.

Visibility was 3-6ft.  Video was shot with a GoPro with a modified (Mako brand) front lens, at 760p, 30fps.  As you can see, the video quality with low light is very poor.  I still got a couple ok shots in there.

Change the quality to 480p before watching.

aquaman

Re: New Video: Spearfishing Black Rock
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
That was a good video.  I like the banks board toboggan.  I lived 2 doors down when I went to HSU.

chaeki

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:47:36 PM »
That was cool, I seriously have to get a hands free camera.  What casing are you using for the gopro?

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »
Nice job being able to spear fish in such murky waters.

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 07:36:37 PM »
I have a stronger urge now more than before to get a banks board because of that tobaggan video.

Another great video to show people what "good" vis looks like.  My favorite video is still "Abalone Breakfast". 
Do you have a chin strap for the Gopro?  I used the strap they give you but it's so easy to fall off. 
Alex L.

chaeki

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:54:48 AM »
I have a stronger urge now more than before to get a banks board because of that tobaggan video.

Another great video to show people what "good" vis looks like.  My favorite video is still "Abalone Breakfast". 
Do you have a chin strap for the Gopro?  I used the strap they give you but it's so easy to fall off.

are you not using the head strap under your hood?  no possible way for it to fall off.

Offline fuzz

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:03:57 AM »
I can't speak for others, but I put my headstrap over hood, like my mask.  Don't want any water trickling on hood!  Brrrr....

chaeki

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:06:16 AM »
I can't speak for others, but I put my headstrap over hood, like my mask.  Don't want any water trickling on hood!  Brrrr....

good point, I only saw what I said on spearboard.  I have a point and shoot that I have bungee'd to my arms.  I was at one point, thinking of that liquid image hd mask, over a gopro, but a gopro could be use for other things out of the water.

fuzz what casing are you using?

Kirby

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 08:29:14 AM »
That was cool, I seriously have to get a hands free camera.  What casing are you using for the gopro?

Check out the GoPro website.  Their cameras all come with housings.  In fact, I don't believe you can even purchase a camera from GoPro without it coming with a housing.

As far as the head strap, I wear it on top of the hood for multiple reasons (no water leakage, won't mar the inside of my open cell suit, and if I want to take it off while diving).  But I have had it pop off of my head twice now, once from kelp entanglement, once from a strong wave.  I've been thinking about making a chin strap, but now that I know that the low vis footage sucks, I won't be using it as much and will only take it out on clear days where if it pops off of my head, I'll be able to locate it easily.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:30:56 AM by Kirby »

chaeki

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »

Check out the GoPro website.  Their cameras all come with housings.  In fact, I don't believe you can even purchase a camera from GoPro without it coming with a housing.

As far as the head strap, I wear it on top of the hood for multiple reasons (no water leakage, won't mar the inside of my open cell suit, and if I want to take it off while diving).  But I have had it pop off of my head twice now, once from kelp entanglement, once from a strong wave.  I've been thinking about making a chin strap, but now that I know that the low vis footage sucks, I won't be using it as much and will only take it out on clear days where if it pops off of my head, I'll be able to locate it easily.

I phrased that wrong, what lense mod are you using... LOL

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 09:11:21 AM »
Looks like Mako got into selling the GoPro with accessories .
http://www.makospearguns.com/results.php?category=22
They have a replacement flat lens for the concaved lens for only $17!!
Alex L.

Kirby

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »

Mako.  I wish it were glass so it wouldn't scratch, but at 17bucks, it is an easy replacement.

chaeki

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »

Mako.  I wish it were glass so it wouldn't scratch, but at 17bucks, it is an easy replacement.

What about those scratch proof stickers they put on the ipad/iphone?  would that work?

Offline fuzz

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »
Nope, a sticker over the lense, no matter how clear, would hurt the image quality.

I have three lense solutions.  They're all pretty comparable.  :)

Offline fuzz

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »
Btw Kirby, I like the vid.  It's how we really see it on some days.  I know it's not what you were shooting for, but it appeals to me in showing what challenging north coast conditions are like.  ;)

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt