collapse

Author Topic: Best boat for the north coast  (Read 2082 times)

Offline grummy

Best boat for the north coast
« on: August 15, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
Hay folks, I am considering purchasing a boat and I am looking for input. Some of the requirement I have are I needs to hold 4 scuba divers (hopefully more freedivers), It needs to be reasonably comfortable to fish out of and light enough to be launched over the beach in Mexico. What is the best boat and why
Thanks in advance
Grummy   
Mike Grummell
Santa Rosa CA

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Best boat for the north coast
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:03:48 AM »
14 to 16ft inflatable there are very reliable and have multiple air tubes so it is hard to nearly imposable to sink and can be hand launched with 4 guys no problem and they perfrom great, and not to expensive. I would recomend a Zodiac or Achillies.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »
I had a 14 foot Zodiac with a 30 HP motor. I could carry 2 divers and 4 tanks comfortably  :walk: or 4 divers and 4 tanks in a well organized boat and still feel crammed in  :hmh: Also could do 6 freedivers no problem  :3some: :3some: 2 people could launch it across the beach with beach wheels  :occasion14:

Krisdude

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:02:26 PM »
go at least 16' any thing is small still works but small I have a 20' skipjack and any thing smaller seems small

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
Krisdude is just spoiled! It happens easy when you've got a big boat! With what you stated, I agree with Matt! Four divers with scuba? You aint getting that done with anything less that 16ft. The bottom has to be traditional (flat material bottom with an inflated keel to help carve a slight V into the hull) and not the hard fiberglass bottom RIB (rigid inflatable boat), the RIB's (at least the size that you would need) are just too heavy for beach launching! So, a sixteen foot Achilles (I prefer them to Zodiac because they're made out of Hypalon which is impervious to gasoline!) with a 30HP motor would be my recommendation. The motor sounds a little short on power for such a large inflatable, but, outboards above 30HP usually have to be bolted to the transom. So unless you're trailoring the boat and then using the beach wheels on back, you might want to remove and haul the engine separately.That's a real pain in the butt if the engine is bolted to the transom! There may be some motors out there that are larger than 30HP and still have twist on mounts, but I do not know of any. Another thing is the weight, above 30HP and you tend to move into the next bigger engine block, which just adds that much more weight to the whole package. Make sure you organize very well. I have used a small 13ft. Achilles for over 13 years now and I have it so well organized that I can take four divers with full scuba gear (only one tank each, but crowded as hell and not really worth it), or three divers with two tanks each (again heavy and crowded), you get the idea! with more than two it is crowded and then becomes slow, but up on the North Coast, you don't have to go very far for some great diving! If you would like to talk with me and get much more detailed info. Just PM me your number and I'll be glad to chat it up with ya!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 10:37:50 AM »
I'll speak for the small boat option.  I have a 9' Achilles with a 6hp motor.  2 freedivers seems to be the limit with all our gear. I have had 2 divers and one passenger just along for the ride.  Technically it's a 4 person boat. I can fit it in the back of my pick up inflated, with the motor underneath, holding it all down with just 2 straps.  Nice and easy to load and get on the road, and don't have to worry about parking a trailer.  I have also put it on top of my Subaru Outback, deflated, along with 2 bikes, and a 20' 2 person Kayak on family camping trips several times, with the motor in the hatch back.  I got mine for free, but I've seen similar stuff on Craigslist for about $900.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »
Excellent points made there Dan! The author was asking about four divers in a beach launch situation. But you made good points all the same. I guess he could just get two of those little boats and make someone else haul the other half of the gig! That's what buddies are for right?

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »
Also depends on wether or not you go in partners, with more people means more money for a bigger boat. I prefer a smaller boat owned buy myself, the more people you carry the more your responsible for.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »
That's true Stacy, however, in the court system it has been common practice for judges to accept the inherent risk factor of diving sports, scuba or otherwise. The real liability lies in negligence. Like, if I surfaced and you did not, I can't just pull up anchor and run for help, I would need to at least mark the spot by floating the anchor line and seeking help immediately! Or, if I backed over you with my prop and you got hurt, or tried to move the boat while divers were still down and they get hurt because of it, stuff like that. Solo diving is not the law! DAN has had many articles in their quarterly magazine covering legal topics like this, it is where I got my info. from. Just food for thought. It is why I'm not afraid to take out fellow responsible divers in my boat. But yes, we do inherit some risk for those that come aboard our vessels. Just like I did when I took you out! :icon_tongue: :laughing7:

Glaucus

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 03:24:22 PM »
Diver Dan,
Could you give an idea as to how much ground you are able to cover in a setup like that?  Approx how fast and far are you able to go?  I like the idea of the smaller craft for all the reasons you mentioned.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 04:15:56 PM »
Hey Glaucus, I run my 6hp with a 3 gallon tank and was told that I would get 6 hours on it.  Never put it to the test.  I was also told that I get best fuel efficiency at about 3/4 throttle.  With no gear, It does go pretty fast, I don't know how to estimate that kind of thing, but I went from Berkeley harbor to Treasure Island in about 10 minutes.  With gear, it slows down a bit but, I can get from Fort Ross to the large rock a bit south of Reef campground in about 10 minutes, maybe less.  Not that is a good spot for abs and rockfish :BangHead:, no, no, don't go there.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
In that size boat you will have to have calm to great conditions their is no taking that size boat out in a 6 to 8 ft swell. at least I wouldn't I have a 14ft rigid which I have hardly used this year, the secrete  is put on your hiking boots and get away from the public and dive area's that no else typically dives and plus next year all of the area's where you would really need a boat to get to will be closed because of the wonderful MLPA's meaning Fisk north all the way up through stewarts point, speaking of stewarts point the store is open again.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 05:24:46 PM »
In that size boat you will have to have calm to great conditions their is no taking that size boat out in a 6 to 8 ft swell. at least I wouldn't I have a 14ft rigid which I have hardly used this year, the secrete  is put on your hiking boots and get away from the public and dive area's that no else typically dives and plus next year all of the area's where you would really need a boat to get to will be closed because of the wonderful MLPA's meaning Fisk north all the way up through stewarts point, speaking of stewarts point the store is open again.
And due to that my boat will be probably most used in Mendo County, Mike thanks for your input it is always appreciated, DAN is on my to do list for the new year.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »
Right on Stacy, and guys I don't mean to sound know-it-all or anything, just want to make sure you all succeed and get what you will really enjoy and most importantly use!
Sincerely,
Mike Rogers

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 09:02:46 PM »
No mike you are a know it all !!! LOL  :laughing7: :laughing7: just kidding bro

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt