collapse

Author Topic: Santa Cruz  (Read 881 times)

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
Santa Cruz
« on: February 10, 2011, 07:26:07 AM »
Has anybody seen the conditions in Santa Cruz lately?  I'm thinking of checking it out with an old friend/newbie to freediving who lives down there.  Any tips on a good spot to check out?  Cheers!

Offline snaildiver

Re: Santa Cruz
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:38:48 AM »
Don't know about Santa Cruz but you intersted in diving Pacificia again for crabs and fish?  Maybe the Uni came in too  :laughing4:
Alex L.

chaeki

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:56:22 AM »
keep me posted on santa cruz, that is very close to me...  I would be interested, in whats around there.

Offline .

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:31:58 AM »
Me too, I've always been wondering about SC with good viz. I dove there once this summer, towards Capitola, but I couldn't even see my hand when I stretched my arm out.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:03:03 AM »
After reading some posts by some locals on Spearboard saying that traffic and crowds from the golf tourney shouldn't be a problem at Lover's Point, I'm going to try it out there for the first time on Sunday.  I'm picking my friend up in Santa Cruz and try to get to Monterey as early as possible.  Not sure what that means yet...Where's the best place to park and enter the ocean from that beach?  Would it be worth bringing my little inflatable with an outboard motor, or are the diveable/spearable areas pretty limited due to the MLPA's?  Thanks.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:26 AM »
Actually, I just read scslayer's report:

Swift St. was very nice today.  20+ viz which is very rare for this area.  It was nice to drive down the street instead of across the bay to get a dive in.  Spotted 4-5 different greenlings in 15-25' of water.  also very large schools of perch.  didn't take anything, but overall it was a great time.  Might be clear enough to get out tm as well!

Since I'm stopping off in SC first anyway, I think I'll check conditions and maybe just spend the day there.  If it's not so hot, we'll truck it to Monterey.

chaeki

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »

here is a sample map of where you can go.. i would say go around the bend where the vis is better.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:22:57 AM »
Thanks chaeki, but that's Pebble Beach, I that will pretty much be in accessible this weekend.

Offline .

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 12:03:13 PM »
You can pretty easily access the water at Lover's Point. There's a protected beach there where you can get in. Just be sure to stay to the west of the point. The cove and area east is off limits, but you can still launch there.

And you don't necessarily need your inflatable, as Otter Cove/Lovers have some decent fish in close. If you do bring your boat, you can motor out to the kelp beds and dive there. Lots of olives out there.

Offline todd

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 01:31:40 PM »
you can dive the pleasure point kelp area in SC, or go 10 minutes north and dive the reefs at the beach in davenport, take davenport landing to the beach
Todd Stagnaro

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt