collapse

Author Topic: Anyone Notice Parasites in Perch meat?  (Read 3024 times)

scslayer

Anyone Notice Parasites in Perch meat?
« on: January 10, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
In the last two perch I have been filleting, I have found live parasites burrowed in their meat.  They look like little worms and are still alive when found.  One fish was taken right off sand dollar beach in Big Sur, the other in SWC Carmel.  one parasite per fish (or at least only one found)

I am cooking the meat so I have been assuming its all killed in that process.

Anyone know if this still poses a health concern?  / Noticed the same thing?

Thanks for your input.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Anyone Notice Parasites in Perch meat?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 05:01:43 PM »
Lings will have them as well ! as long as you cook them good it kills them off and all is good ! but that is one of the meny reason why i dont eat fish
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:56:22 PM »
I find them all the time in Perch, Ling and rockfish.
Cut them out and cook the fish.
And dont let the wife or kids see them or you will be eating alone.  :laughing7:

Offline todd

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »
I saw a show called, Monsters inside me, they had a segment on a so cal person who ate fresh california salmon shashimi that had parasite which infested her, too small to see, the human body does not react with the worm until it dies, then the body produces too much response and it is the over stimulation when the parasite dies, of the human immune system that could be fatal.  They then went to SF state university and had biologist check local rock fish caught off marin coast and all the rock fish had the parasite, so best if you eat fresh to cook the meat, or freeze the flesh, then eat sushi style.  Of course I will eat porcini with maggots but I am more afraid of hitchiking parasites on rock fish more than ticks, sharks  and death caps combined....   
Todd Stagnaro

scslayer

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
Ha ha!  Well that video scared the shit out of me.  I guess I should stop eating a cut of my fillets raw with a splash of soy sauce! Although I am kinda bummed I will never eat my own kills raw again, thanks for the warning.  I am definitely cooking all my locally caught fish now.

Offline todd

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:32:52 AM »
yeah most sushi in restaurant fish is always frozen and not fresh unless oyster or tobiko eggs or somthing.  Even Iron chefs only like to use fresh fish that have gone through rigamortise, to firm up the flesh before cutting.  Freezing will kill the worms, but just think about all the campouts youve done before, cooking the rockfish in the low light of the camp stove, does it look done? Cant see that well? It looks a little burnt on the outside, it must be done right?  think about a wormy that snuggled against a bone and survived the char.....Its a gamble out there. Any carnivore in the food chain can have parasite out there, yet the things that are veggie like abalone have less risk factor.

Todd Stagnaro

Offline livesinhumboldt

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »
I treat my cattle with a topical parasiticide. A little squirt down their back and they are worm free ... next time I eat some sushi I might have to give myself a little squirt  :laughing7: :laughing7:
Bryan S.

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Someone told me if you fillet fish, a good way to look for parasites is to put the meat between you and the sun. 
Not sure if that will work but I'll definitely look at my catch more closely. All this talk about parasites in fish freaking me out. 
No more steamed fish, I'm just having fried fish from now on. 
Alex L.

Offline fuzz

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
Someone told me if you fillet fish, a good way to look for parasites is to put the meat between you and the sun. 
Not sure if that will work but I'll definitely look at my catch more closely. All this talk about parasites in fish freaking me out. 
No more steamed fish, I'm just having fried fish from now on.

That works fine for the large parasites... but just think of all the baby & adolescent parasites you can't see so easily!  ;)

Bon Appetit!  :D

Calif_Diver

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
I havent shot alot of rockfish,but the few i have i never noticed the parasites,believe me i look because im pretty picky about how my meat of any kind is cleaned,not saying that there wasnt any there. This thread just gives me a reminder to look closer for them,99% of the time i make my fish beer batter fish and chip so at least the worms i may have ate were cooked good lol, In fresh water Stripers i have caught, i have saw parasites in them ,but it was usually only in the stomach lining. For some reason im not real hungry for any fish today.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
About 16 years ago my girlfriend and I were shore pole fishing and we caught about 20 smelt in an hour.  We took em home and found that every one of them had several worm parasites in the flesh. :puke:  I didn't know anything about them, and that was back in the olden days before the internet so we turned them into fertilizer.  After reading all this I think I will be freezing all of my fish now.

aquaman

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 02:07:50 PM »
The worms usually found in rock fish are nematodes. Some of the species can survive in humans.  If you eat a live worm it can penetrate you stomach lining.  It is supposed to hurt like hell.  When i took fish disease management at HSU the instructor said they would get a case or 2 a year at the local hospital where guys would be coughing up the worms.  Some of them like to move into the lungs and nasal cavity.  If you cook and kill them they are harmless.  They are pretty tough and I think it takes a few days to kill them by freezing.  Rockfish, lingcod, halibut, cabezon, perch can all have them.  I have seen black rockfish in Humboldt county that were packed full of them.  I have seen perch in bodega bay that are pretty bad too.  I don't make ceveache out of raw norcal fish anymore.  I boil diced up meat ahead of time.  You can't tell the difference in the end.  People say that the lime juice kills the worms, but they can survive in our gut and that is pretty acidic. 

Most pelagic fish don't get nematodes.  This might be because nematodes have a complex life stage where they have to be eaten by an invertebrate before they can reach adulthood.  It is the adult form that causes problems for humans.  Pelagic fish might not eat enough inverts.  It makes me wonder about pelagic crabs though.

Salmon carry a giant cesatode which can live in the human intestine and get over 30 feet long.  Unlike most tape worms it sheds chains of egg packets call proglotteds that can be 3 feet long.   It encysts in the muscle tissue of a salmon and looks like grains of rice.  when we eat the tissue it hatches out as an adult and lives in our intestine. 

Don't let rockfish and salmon scare you off of sushi.  I don't eat raw norcal fish including halibut and salmon.  I do eat a ton of sushi.  I brought back about 150 pounds of yellowtail one year at HSU and I think my room mate and I probably ate 3/4 of it as sushi or poke.   

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »
I made some sashimi out of a MonkeyFace PrickleBack that I shot awhile back and it was delicious.

I told my wife that since they are herbivorous they didn't have any worms...

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/nearshorefinfish/monkeyfaceprickleback.asp

You guys think that is true???
 :dontknow:
Sincerely,

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »
Cook everything!!! Be safe. It is not safe to eat fish raw. Forget the rave buzz trendy times of today. A lot of you know Steve at OC, he was sick for 5 month from eating raw abalone.  Chasing the raves of times are dangerous for the average consumer of fish products.  Unless you have been trained, you and I are average consumers of sea food. Trust me, one here is going to prepare blow fish for me.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:16:46 PM by Red Abalone Diving »

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »
Are the parasites what make perch (and greenling) taste so bad?  Or do they just taste bad in general?  Regardless, I won't be targeting them again.   :nono:

MN

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt