collapse

Author Topic: Flat ocean  (Read 935 times)

Offline Tim C.

Flat ocean
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:08:18 PM »
Wow, the ocean looks great for diving this coming Monday--Wednesday.  Who's going where?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Flat ocean
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:16:35 AM »
well I am currently in gullalla at breakers inn looking out the window and the whole ocean is white caps as of 9:14 am and the water vis looks marginal at best. It my be calmer south but not that great up here.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline mmcleod639

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »
 :angry7:  Bummer, I was hoping to attempt Fort Ross today......Do you think it is any better down there?
-Matt Danger M

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:36:20 AM »
Lake Ross should be diveable it was yesterday on the drive up just tuck in behind the point in the cove. Have fun look forward to reading your report and the gate was open !

Offline mmcleod639

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:48:19 AM »
 :hello2:  Lake Ross you say?  Is spear/pole fishing allowed there?  I have not been and since it is a state park I thought I should ask in advance.  I know Gerstle is protected, but not sure about Fort Ross.
-Matt Danger M

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
Yes you can spear there just no ling out of season and you can allso take scallops since it is not in any kind of mlpa open game

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
:hello2:  Lake Ross you say?  Is spear/pole fishing allowed there?  I have not been and since it is a state park I thought I should ask in advance.  I know Gerstle is protected, but not sure about Fort Ross.

Hey Matt, nice size freshwater pelagic (a.k.a Carp) there you are sporting in your PIC. Care to share your story there.

Offline mmcleod639

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »
I must state that I now know I shouldn't be spearfishing in the Healdsburg River, but here is the story.
If you go to Healdsburg and take the Central exit, drive down the road and hang a right on Matheson.  Take this street all the way down until it drops down to a tight road running along the river.  The spot you are looking for is Camp Rose and I located it on google maps so you can reference it yourself.  The carp and river bass, along with sucker fish, are plentiful at camp rose during the summer.

So I have been seeing these giant carp hanging out around the lilly pads but they were always outside my pole spear range.  I had, what I thought, was a really nice head shot on one but it merely bounced off.  The next weekend I went out and sat still right on top , pole spear loaded, of the area where I have seen them.  After fifteen hard minutes holding the pole spear fully loaded, one of them swam out from under the lilly pads and I nailed him.  This is the biggest one I've gotten so far and the family helped clean him.  It was like BBQing two large slabs of ribs! 

I better understand the regulations now and I guess I gotta hit up the Sac river to be legal.  So, now I'm shooting perch in Fort Ross Cove for the winter.
-Matt Danger M

Calif_Diver

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:36:55 AM »
Well the regulations i have read say that no spearfishing is allowed in salmon spawning areas, Im not going to risk  a ticket  spearing in the Sac river,im sure a DFG warden would tell you the Sac river is a salmon spawning area, if you do spear in the Sac River  you cant take any kind of game fish.

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »
Hey guys I am from sacramento and dive freshwater alot.....I dive Lake Natoma,Sacramento River,Folsom lake for crawdads(striper bait,food-mmmm)  I  have seen many carp over 5lbs in all places... They are taking over in one spot so bad that there are no bluegill or bass in that whole area and it covers a 1/2square mile. I'll shoot a few to help with them not eating bass,bluegill eggs. I also have a farm pond that is being overrun by carp. It is a fancy neighborhood so i have to talk with the homeowners assoiation but they feel that the carp are overruning the small lake too and want to take organic action,Hopefully I can make some buck$ at it too. Lake natoma and Folsom lake are not a salmon spawning ground so if anyone is in sacramento or coming here,let me know......Bang.......... :fish:

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 10:30:51 AM »
   It was like BBQing two large slabs of ribs! 

So you eat the carp?

Whats that like?

Aren't they bony little critters?

Not sure if I'm down for eating crap I mean carp!! 

Thanks for the cool story though.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:33:46 AM by Stacy Stephenson »
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Calif_Diver

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »
The DFG shoulld allow us to go up to lake Davis and shoot some Northern Pike, now that woulds be some fun,

Offline livesinhumboldt

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
take organic action
     :icon_thumleft: Good line!!
Bryan S.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt