collapse

Author Topic: Wetsuit  (Read 134 times)

Offline rgiani

Wetsuit
« on: Yesterday at 11:57:54 AM »
Hi I'm looking for thoughts on buying a first Spearfishing wetsuit. I really haven't come across a lot of comparisons online. I have read as much as I could find about spearfishing wetsuits, but have never worn a wetsuit that didn't have lining on the inside.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Re: Wetsuit
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:50:50 PM »
Depending on where you live, I'd recommend stopping by your local spearfishing/freedive shop. They will for sure have open cell freedive suits (the kind without the fabric on the inside) and can make recommendations based on your height and weight. You'll need lube to don your open cell suit. I use a 3:1 warm water to mane and tail conditioner ratio. Make sure your wetsuit is made from Yamamoto neoprene. Brands I'd recommend are Yazbeck, Epsilon, Waihana, Pathos, Polosub. You'll want a 7mm for norcal unless you run really warm then a 5mm will do but I went from 5 to 7 because I couldn't stay warm enough after a few hours in the water. If you're near Monterey, go to bamboo reef - ask for Adam (tell him I sent you and you'll likely get a nice lil discount). They have all kinds of wetsuits and knowledgeable staff. If youre up north, hit up Parviz at Red Triangle. Petros at SpearAmerica will make you a custom polo sub suit fit to your exact specs (and it's affordable). Make sure to watch a few videos on how to put on / take off the suit because the inside can rip if you do it wrong.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions :)
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:56:31 PM »
Petros doesn’t make PoloSub wetsuits.  Polosub makes PoloSub wetsuits and you can measure yourself and order your own custom or buy off the rack sizes.

The best advice is to try them on and get the one that fits the best. Let a knowledgeable person fit you. All brands fit somewhat differently. If you aren’t fat you can buy off the rack. If you have a big gut you might want to consider a custom or you can get a “stretchier” material like Yamamoto 45 with 4 way stretch Lycra. The Yazbeck is a good choice for stretchy.

I have owned Xcel, Riffe, Yazbeck, Sporasub, Omer, Beuchat, Hammerhead, Maui Sporting Goods, Salvimar, Ocean Hunter, Hawaiian Skin Diver, and PoloSub.  They are all good suits.
Omer, Yazbeck, Rob Allen, Beuchat, Salvimar, all the top end suits are a good choice as long as the fit is good.

Custom, I would only consider PoloSub, it’s the best in my opinion. I wear the ForzaTre with custom paint. I’ve had 5 of them and I’m sure my next 5 will be the same.

Offline rgiani

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:05:50 PM »
Are Polosub suits made from Yamamoto? I tend to stray away from things that are suspiciously cheap, but the Mako wetsuits are make from Yamamoto, are they not? Also when you talk about 5mm vs 7mm is that high waist or Farmer John? I've been considering 5mm Farmer John. I also spend about a week out of the year at Catalina and may be working there over the summer, is this a wetsuit I would be able to wear there or would I need something else as well? (I have a shorty wetsuit and hooded vest, would that be good enough?)

Offline rgiani

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:09:10 PM »
also for the polosubs I noticed there's the "extra EU" option for wetsuits. Is that to say that I won't have to pay the EU tax since I'm ordering internationally? Just trying to gauge price.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:01:04 AM »
Are Polosub suits made from Yamamoto? I tend to stray away from things that are suspiciously cheap, but the Mako wetsuits are make from Yamamoto, are they not? Also when you talk about 5mm vs 7mm is that high waist or Farmer John? I've been considering 5mm Farmer John. I also spend about a week out of the year at Catalina and may be working there over the summer, is this a wetsuit I would be able to wear there or would I need something else as well? (I have a shorty wetsuit and hooded vest, would that be good enough?)

It is common for people to cut off the top of a farmer john to make them high wasted pants. The farmer john design tends to constrict the diaphragm. I still use my 7mm yazbeck in Catalina and other Channel Islands. I personally don't think a shorty w hood will serve your purposes.

Petros doesn’t make PoloSub wetsuits.  Polosub makes PoloSub wetsuits and you can measure yourself and order your own custom or buy off the rack sizes.

::) I wasn't intending to say he made them, rather that he offered them. As he has helped us out a lot with various things, I was steering business his way.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:08:27 AM »
If you fit into off the rack suit sizes Mako is tough to beat. Top quality yamamoto at the best price. That said my next suit will be a custom fitted Polosub so I can get an extra inch around the neck and armpit areas for more comfort when paddling.

My preference is 7mm farmer john.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:23:04 PM »
This topic has been hashed and re-hashed for years. You’ll find as many different opinions as there are divers. The first step is asking questions. Once you start getting a good idea you should start researching on your own or start asking more focused questions.

Neoprene: There are many types. They all have strong and weak points, including Yamamoto 45.
Yes, Mako uses 45. I haven’t owned a Mako suit, Ive always steered away from them because of the “cheap” factor, but that may be a mistake regarding Mako wetsuits. I think Jon Lata is sponsored by Mako, he’s a better diver than anyone on this forum and he dives Norcal in a mako.
PoloSub ForzaTre uses two different densities, so no it’s not 100% Y45, if they use it at all.
Don’t get too hung up on 45, it’s just stretchy. It is also very compressible so it gets worn out quicker, it’s colder at depth and it also loses its buoyancy faster and regains it later. I like it, it’s not my favorite, but your style, ability and stamina are worth more as a method of determining neoprene than my opinion.
Further, some suits can’t or don’t list 45 or any other type of neoprene regardless which type they are. Maybe it’s proprietary or maybe a trade secret, but it’s a fact that many use 45 but don’t list it.

As for farmer johns. Don’t cut the top. Either get suspenders or get high waisted trousers. If you get suspenders and don’t like them, try tucking them down rather than cutting them first. The suspenders don’t change buoyancy. They make it hard to shit or piss off a kayak but they don’t impact breathing or anything else. If someone thinks they constrict the diaphragm they probably have too small of a size, not enough lube or the particular brand doesn’t fit them correctly. High waisted trousers are thicker than the suspenders and should go all the way up to the sternum so they will be just as restrictive if not more than farmer johns. Suspenders are good to keep your pants from sliding off when use a lot of lube.

If you’re like me and don’t like pissing yourself, get a pisette, or do what I do and get high waisted trousers. When you have to piss, climb on the kayak, pull the jacket up and the pants down and piss. You can’t do that with suspenders.

The yazbeck is perfect for SoCal. I’d use a 5mm rather than 7mm. You’ll freeze your ass off in shorties. Remember, you aren’t surfing or being active. You are spending the bulk of your time not moving. You won’t generate heat like you do paddling. When you get cold you can’t hold your breath.

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:31:14 PM »
Can’t go wrong with a Mako suit for the price!!!! I’m very happy with mine and I have owned two other more expensive brands that were disappointing
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt