collapse

Author Topic: Anyone Notice Parasites in Perch meat?  (Read 2857 times)

chadwtts

Re: Anyone Notice Parasites in Perch meat?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 06:03:34 AM »
A little Copenhagen kills most worms! I don't kill alot of perch unless I'm bored, but I definitely can confirm the worms in rock fish. More than once I left fillets in the frig  and after a couple of days you can visual see a ton of worms, it's never stopped me from eating them fully cooked but you can definitely freak yourself out. I figure a little extra protein in my wife's :thumbsup: diet won't hurt.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
If your wife needs protein supplements, you're doing something wrong. ha ha

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 10:46:42 AM »
No it is the wrong kind of protein supplement ! LOL !!!!  :laughing7: :laughing7: protein should come from  HUM ? I will leave that up to your imagination  :laughing7: :laughing7:
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

yakfisher

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
I think Sushi in Ca has to be frozen to an especially cold temperature. I don't think most home freezers will kill parasites. Cook your fish or risk all kinds of problems. Some types of fish are more prone to parasites than others but any fish can have them.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »
I found this on wikipedia:

Health risks
As with most foods, sushi is not free from health risks, but these risks are minimized with proper preparation and service. Some large fish, such as tuna (especially bluefin), can harbor high levels of mercury. This is due to the tuna's position at the top of the food chain (among sea creatures). Thus, tuna can lead to mercury poisoning when consumed in quantity.[16] Details are also described in an article, "Mercury in fish". The FDA recommends eating up to 6 - 12 ounces a week of a variety of fish and shellfish.[17]
Parasite infection by raw fish is rare in the modern world (fewer than 40 cases per year in the U.S.),[18] and involves mainly three kinds of parasites: Clonorchis sinensis (a trematode/fluke), Anisakis (a nematode/roundworm) and Diphyllobothrium (a cestode/tapeworm).[18] Infection risk of anisakis is particularly higher in fish which may live in a river such as salmon (shake) in Salmonidae, and mackerel (saba). Such parasite infections can generally be avoided by boiling, burning, preserving in salt or vinegar, or freezing overnight.
For the above reasons, the EU regulation No 853/2004[19] forbids the use of fresh raw fish; it has to be frozen at temperatures below -20 °C in all parts of the product for not less than 24 hours.

Offline Kali_Diver

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 09:58:39 AM »
I always cut the cheeks out of fish and eat raw while I finish cleaning the fish....I will not be doing this any more. Guess I have been lucky thus far.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt