collapse

Author Topic: PADI vs. NAUI  (Read 1996 times)

Offline bluestar

PADI vs. NAUI
« on: August 09, 2009, 03:49:10 PM »
I have been searching for a diving school in San Mateo county where I live, and have identified a few possibilities.  One of the instructors I really like has 50+ years of diving experience and seem to have very good local knowledge, but he is associated with the NAUI certification program, as opposed to the PADI program which I seem to see more often.

Can anyone tell me whether the certification type make any difference for a future-casual diver such as myself?  Meaning, I don't intend to teach diving or open up a diver shop in the future. 

Krisdude

Re: PADI vs. NAUI
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
I did the PADI , but I don't think their much difference you still end up in the water, heard from a guy that padi was more military like, but don't know why? it was easy and they went over the material three times, almost a guaranteed pass.
I think Mat did the other one

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »
I did PADI way back when PADI was a lot more professional. I'm not taking anything away from any instructor, they are all public servants in my book! They don't make any money doing it, at least not in this part of the state. If you're going just going to be a recreational diver, I don't see anything wrong with either agency. Now, I know there are gonna be PADI haters and maybe even NAUI haters, but the bottom line is, and this is just my opinion, having an instructor with that many years of knowledge supersedes any b.s. about which organization to use! Go with the instructor that you already said you clicked with! Besides, you really learn diving after certification anyway! When you go on your own and no one but you has your back, buddy diving or not! You can drown a few feet from your buddy and he wouldn't have been the wiser! That's why I feel that who you buddy up with after certification is really much more important than what agency you got certified through! Now go get certified and then come dive with some of us! ;D   
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 08:46:59 PM »
I did NAUI 15 years ago, it was a breeze. I did PADI 5 years ago it was alittle more informative, as krisdude said if you just want get in the water then I don't think it matters. stay safe and have fun, Plan your Dive, Dive your plan
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Calif_Diver

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:30:08 PM »
I did padi 20 somethign years ago, now the LDS does  SSI and theysay its better then padi or naui. i dunno for sure but my dive buddy is training with them alot and he is almost an instructor and he tells me its a good program.
 I did my nitrox there

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 07:24:34 AM »
I have been searching for a diving school in San Mateo county where I live, and have identified a few possibilities.  One of the instructors I really like has 50+ years of diving experience and seem to have very good local knowledge, but he is associated with the NAUI certification program, as opposed to the PADI program which I seem to see more often.

Can anyone tell me whether the certification type make any difference for a future-casual diver such as myself?  Meaning, I don't intend to teach diving or open up a diver shop in the future. 
Let me offer a 3rd point of view. I was trained at the YMCA, one of the first recreational dive programs out there. At the Y, they stressed swimming skills, safety, & rescue skills. My program was 6 wks long, twice a  wk, 1.5hrs lecture & 1.5hrs pool. By the 4th wk we were in the ocean and very comfortable with our gear and skills. The 5th wk was fine tuning of skills and the 6th wk we were at the ocean doing our final skills test and a dive tour. The YMCA scuba program has ended, but is now called SEI. Since then I've taken A Padi rescue course, whcih to me was a review of my advanced scuba class and now pursuing my Divemaster with NAUI. I chose NAUI since the training and safety philosophy is very similar to my YMCA training.
PADI is the biggest training agency & a marketing powerhouse. They broke down the classes to bite size chunks to make anybody a diver and themselves a lot of money.

In your case, stay away from the weekend accelerated courses, interview instructors, and ask around. If you PM me I can recommend an instrcutor on the North Coast and a few in the south bay area & Monterey.

- Ericson
20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:22:31 AM »
I am SSI trained and I feel their course s just about the same as any of the others. In my opinion none of them are as stringent as they use to be and need to be. I feel the industry is just about turning and burning the certs out to make that dollar. I have yet to ever hear of some one not passing now days. Prime example go out to breakwater on any weekend and just take a look at some the students and the stupidly going on and the lack of physical training and conditioning. just my 2-cents.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Krisdude

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 07:27:10 PM »
tea it does seem like they want to make a lot of money, joe and I did a weekend crash course and it seemed like second nature for me , on the swimming test we lost count on laps and think they had us do like 4 or 5 more, I do here from some folks that that work on dive boats say some people shouldn't be diving, I don't know about the physical training thing, sounds like to much work, I an't in the best shape being 230lbs but if I had to swim a few miles I bet I could might take me awhile thoe

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:48:19 PM »
It would take me a while too, bro! I pray that never happens to me!

Abdvrob

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »

Me either Mike, I think it would take me ALL day to haul the both of us in :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Flyin Brian

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 12:22:07 PM »
Ive taken classes from all of them and I can't really say one was better than the other.  I do think the NAUI course material was more detailed.  The PADI stuff reads more like a comic book, they dumb it down to make sure anyone with a checkbook can pass.  I got my OW with PADI, then took my Nitrox and AOW through SSI.  After unsuccesfully drowning my GF at Pt Lobos, we decided to take the rescue course.  I bought the NAUI material and I was impressed with the books, but we ended up doing the rescue course on vacation and the shop we used was PADI.  I took all my tech diving instruction through TDI, and I thought their course was fantastic.  That's a heck of a lot of acronyms!!

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 07:02:38 PM »

Me either Mike, I think it would take me ALL day to haul the both of us in :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Heh, heh, yep, and I'd let ya! :P :-*

Abdvrob

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »
It would like the ending of "Jaws", I'd be using you as the flotation and me just kicking in!! LMMFAO!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Again, I'd let ya! JAWS always goes for the moving parts! :D :P

Abdvrob

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 07:09:18 PM »
 :D :D :D

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt