collapse

Author Topic: SQUID BLOOM  (Read 682 times)

Offline Joshua R.

SQUID BLOOM
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
So a friend of mine heard from some local commercial fishermen about a squid bloom that happens at a pinnacle about a mile and a half offshore that attracts monster lings.  30 lbs is a small one supposedly so obviously we're going there Sunday but I wonder if anyone else has heard about this.  These commercial guys are all on scuba but I'd like to freedive it, does anyone know the depths out there?

Offline todd

Re: SQUID BLOOM
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
humboldt squid are back already? I wouldnt want to dive with those things, monster lings sound awsome, do those guys have vid? that would be cool-
Todd Stagnaro

Glaucus

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 01:43:09 PM »
does anyone know the depths out there?

Out where?  I have a buddy I can ask.  He fishes commercially and dives, so he'd be in tune with something like that.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 02:13:47 PM »
I don't think they're Humboldt squid.  They're saying it's at a pinnacle a mile and a half out from Fort Ross and that this bloom happens end of October, early November every year.  I've heard of this down south but never up here.

dlcesar

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »
What are those commercial guys you talking about doing out there? Urchins I know of a few boats commercial diving for them but always right on the coast line in where the abs are. Cerious what they were diving for so far off the coast commercialy.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:04:58 PM »
this is something they do on their time off.

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
Maybe the off shore Ft. Ross Reef, marked by the buoy can? Best guess based upon the information provided. If I recall correctly parts of the reef were marked at 35 ft according to my fish finder.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »
yeah, sunken reef.   No squid bloom though, it was an elephant graveyard.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt