collapse

Author Topic: rubbery scallops  (Read 1174 times)

Offline chillberg

rubbery scallops
« on: November 02, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »
Hey guys-
I've got a good load of scallops from the weekend and planning my next scallop feast. They always taste great, but dammit, they always turn out somewhat rubbery when i cook them   :icon_scratch:
Anybody have any advice on how to fix that?
many thanks!

chaeki

rubbery scallops
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »
Wouldn't that be the same as abalone, don't cook too long.  Quick pan sear?

Offline Joshua R.

Re: rubbery scallops
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »
Yeah, bring em to my house. ;)

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »
Wouldn't that be the same as abalone, don't cook too long.  Quick pan sear?
Correct, pan sear,white or cooking wine, butter, light garlic salt, cook till light glazed brown and serve. Key is not to over cook and not to char the glaze.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 06:45:13 PM »
Eat raw

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 07:02:32 PM »
raw with some soy sauce and a little wasabe.  You'll never cook a scallop again.  Unless you wrap it in bacon and drizzle with white jalapeno sauce and ribeye garnish.

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:31:39 PM »
Ah yes, the eatable Scallop. I do admit raw is great!! but cooking is safer be it heat or chemical such as soy.  Another great one, fresh albacore in bacon wrap. The stuff is to die for!

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »
Look up Coquille St. Jacques...cook it in it's own shell.  Heck with the wasabi, bring on the wine cream sauce.

And as far as albacore goes...there is no wrong way to make that heavenly delight.  My dad brought me one a couple of weeks ago FOB.. I cleaned it and BBQed part of the roast that very night.  Still have pounds in the freezer.....waiting.

And don't none of you go and ruin my dreams with your talk of sashimi, etc.  Remember...raw fish is bait and will give you tummy worms if you eat it...sushi/sashimi = nasty
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt