collapse

Author Topic: Way in time; who use to do abalone diving south of GGBR to Yankee Pt and where  (Read 2275 times)

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
RAD,

You could always launch at Mill Creek day use area, is not too far from Jade Cove...We used to kill a lot of fish off that area, as well as take some nice scallops.  I don't remember if we got abs or not, but if they were there, we did.

Montana de Oro State Park in SLO county was always good to me for Blacks, rock picking.  I have one in my living room which is 6" long (pretty big for blacks) and 2.5" Deep!!  Those are some cool dimensions.   The inside of the shell is the most beautiful pastel pink/purple/green.

We also used to SCUBA there for Reds, as well as beaches between Cayucos and Cambria, off of Cambria, and up around Ragged Point.  I even took a legal red from the rocks inside Morro Bay...guess the otters didn't look well enough.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Red Abalone Diving

RAD,

You could always launch at Mill Creek day use area, is not too far from Jade Cove...We used to kill a lot of fish off that area, as well as take some nice scallops.  I don't remember if we got abs or not, but if they were there, we did.

Montana de Oro State Park in SLO county was always good to me for Blacks, rock picking.  I have one in my living room which is 6" long (pretty big for blacks) and 2.5" Deep!!  Those are some cool dimensions.   The inside of the shell is the most beautiful pastel pink/purple/green.

We also used to SCUBA there for Reds, as well as beaches between Cayucos and Cambria, off of Cambria, and up around Ragged Point.  I even took a legal red from the rocks inside Morro Bay...guess the otters didn't look well enough.

Way good information there! Huge black none the less and treasure that black abalone shell for I suspect you may never see another one that size ever again. 

Launch what at Mill Creek? Inflatable, kayak?

For now I guess, and I know it is going to be major up hill battle just to get the area from the gate to Yankee point reopened.  I assume you have been abalone diving long enough to know Yankee point was the division line between free diving for abalone and the use of SCUBA.

On another off beat point relating to the use of SCUBA; the former commercial abalone divers were allowed to use SCUBA all the way up to San Francisco county and the Farallons Islands.  And of course, SCUBA to the commercial abalone divers was, they choose to use hookah rigs.

I suspect the only chance for the recreational abalone fishery to expand southward will and can only be to Yankee point, thus a free dive abalone fishery, the established status quo prior to the moratorium.

I'll leave the readers with a thought to ponder. The reason why scuba is not allowed north of the gate for abalone may not be what you think. The reason why scuba is not allowed north of the gate is:............................take shot at it.  However if someone takes a poke at the answer do it with another post subject.  I would like to keep this post topic dedicated to the subject matter intended for "Weigh in time; who use to do abalone diving south of GGBR to Yankee Pt and where"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:51:53 AM by Red Abalone Diving »

Offline maodiver

Never been off a yak. We launched a small Zodiac there, and I have seen guys launch aluminum boats.  The beach is steep like Monastery in Monterey/Carmel, so it has to be smallish before you try a boat.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Red Abalone Diving

Yes sir, totally get it for back in 1976 I too experienced the Monastery pebbles being ground into my face.

Offline maodiver

AHhhh Monsterberries...good times

Dude, I steered you totally wrong.  Mill Creek Picnic area is 7 or 8 miles from Jade cove...a long pull in a yak.  Plaskett CG is closer.  Sorry bout that, it's only been about 20 years since I dove Mill Creek.

It does have a lot of fish to kill though.

As payment for my misinformation:

http://www.jadehunt.com/types-of-jade/how-to-find-big-sur-jade-at-jade-cove/

Mike
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Red Abalone Diving

Thanks Mike,

In fact I have been to Jade cover several times over the years but never with my dive gear at hand for one reason or another as it worked out.  Yep, if one wants to dive Jade Cove from what I saw at the bluff it's equal to the effort required to hump tanks, BC and gear down to Horseshoe Cove from the park sign entry point and the old Richardson property line.  But who want to do that anyways now a days, hump HSC for what? Nothing that I can see. 

Again thanks for the info.............yes another way I can lessen my pressure on the NCC & NC by expanding to other dive sites where at least I can shoot fish and if I find a piece jade all the better.

chaeki

Next year or even if the weather permits, we should have a jade cove event also... Shoot fish and take a piece of jade home as a gift.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:15:58 PM by chaeki »

Red Abalone Diving

Late June or July after the 4th weekend might a good time venture southward. Booking for a holiday weekend such as the 4th of July at near by camp grounds requires advancement planing I think many are perhaps not ready to do just now.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt