collapse

Author Topic: Way in time; who use to do abalone diving south of GGBR to Yankee Pt and where  (Read 2280 times)

Red Abalone Diving

1997 recreational free diving from south of Golden Gate to Yankee Point is closed to the present day; anyone care to share where they did free dive for abalone and how often they did before the moratorium.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
I use to rock pick down there while my dad dived when I was a little kid before my parents moved us to the russian river back before 1986.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Abking

• It means nothing w/o Honor
In the early 90's (1992 - 1994) I dove alot around Pigeon Point, Franklin Point, and once at Ano Nuevo.  I got quite a few fat 9+'s and one day I limited on 9.5's.  4 was the limit then, and that may have been the only limit I took since then.  I loved diving at Franklin Point - saw the biggest ling I've ever seen, saw lots of otters eating up to 9" abs on their bellies,...  those were fun days.

Offline phil herranen

• herranenspearguns
i used to dive (and still do just not for abs)pacifica ,hmb ,pigeon pt, grayhound rock , and all the the spots from sc to carmel . as the otters moved in the abs quickly disappeared,the last time i dove pigeon for abs i only saw 2 or 3 reds in the whole day,there were still lots of blacks way back where the otters couldn't get to them.
phil

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
 used to SCUBA for reds and rock pick for blacks in San Luis Obispo County
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Red Abalone Diving

Way to go guys and keep the history coming in.  See if we get all the weigh in possible here.

Thanks Matt for the input and your experience with your dad is interesting from another perspective, a history perspective and loss of knowledge experience that matters. What I fear somewhat is this, and it is an easy perspective to see if you are an old enough recreational abalone diver.  When the moratorium went into effect in 1997 a good amount of recreational abalone diving was being done in San Francisco County, San Mateo County and Santa Cruz County at various locations.  To my knowledge very little survey's of abalone have been done in these area's.  I am aware of the surveys at Fitzgerald, but nothing else at this time.

My point is two fold.  A new generation of abalone divers is now entering the the recreational abalone sport without ever knowing what lies below the GGBr., and this new generation if not careful, because they do not know any different may assume a fallacy. And that fallacy is: there aren't any abalone there or there are not enough abalone in the that area for sustainable recreational abalone use.  To that I say malarkey!  Second point is: the unspoken point that is never said.  Some surly want you to forget and hope you forget that there was an sustainable recreational abalone fishery in county's south of the gate for many agenda reasons.

Just to keep the information blowing, two of friends before the moratorium closure of recreational abalone south of the GG gate used to dive Pacifica for abalone and always did limit on 8" + abalone, four of them per day back then.  And I also know some of the cen-cal folks use to dive the San Mateo coast for abalone and again always did well.

At this time I am aware of only one limited survey work done for abalone at Fitzgerald.  I know of no other survey work that suggest at this time is an issue with abalone populations in SF, SM, SC county's relating to sustainable recreational use.  Basically the DFG has not proved why the area should be closed today and certifiably the DFG had no prof in 1997 that abalone densities were warranted to recommend closure from SF to SC counties.

We must not forget and we must ever be vigilante to retain our sport. Remember the "State" in the name of precautionary ideology will take it from us if we do not call the fallacy.

Please keep them reported uses coming in on "Way in time; who use to do abalone diving south of GGBR to Yankee Pt and where"

~B   

Glaucus

Good point Bill, always better to keep our eyes open. 

One of my best memories is rock picking with my dad and brothers when I was about 9 y/o.  We were on some rocks very near Molera beach during a family camp trip to Big Sur.  Just a bunch of little black abs but damn they tasted good (I believe the shells are still to this day out in my dad's garden).  From then on I always had it in the back of my mind that someday I would be an ab diver, just took me about ten years to get myself in the water.   

Red Abalone Diving

Great info there guys. Yes I do believe many of us have witnessed the otters getting the easy abalone, but how about the cryptic populations, yes I do believe there is a possibility for a sustainable abalone fishery in these area's.  I would greatly appreciate hearing form the guys who dive the Big Sur area, Jade Cove, Yankee Point, etc. on what they think (see) in the amounts of abalone.

A little math here. At 6,600 abs/ha means one would need to see 40 abalone in a 60 square meters. Them 40 abalones can be cryptic or out in the open and they can range in size from detection (seeing them to 13"). And that 60 sq.meters needs to be sustainable habitat.

Tell us what you think you are seeing knowing this. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:51:59 AM by Red Abalone Diving »

chaeki

I would greatly appreciate hearing form the guys who dive the Big Sur area, Jade Cove, Yankee Point, etc. on what they think (see) in the amounts of abalone.

I want to dive jade cove for the jade, but would love to count abs while I am there, just not sure if I want to go there alone.  lol

Red Abalone Diving

I'll dive there with you there chaeki, but this old fat politician diver in his fifty's is going to need an army of pack mules or the boat to get there.  :toothy9:

Offline todd

my family used to get abalone at rockaway beach in pacifica, no joke, also was great for eels with poke pole- Other ab spots pre 98 my home dive spot, Moss Beach Fitzgerald marine reserve, flischmans reef, flat rock, and mushroom rock right next to mavericks, then south to pebble beach pescadero! Then Franklin point, Pigeon, ano nuevo island area, Davenport landing beach, abalone at steamers lane, then down south to Julia Phipher state park in Big sur, I saw a otter picking off abalone and I did the same the otter thus gave away a sweet spot:)
Todd Stagnaro

Red Abalone Diving

Great stuff there Todd about your experiences with abalone south of the gate to Yankee Point.  I also have a friend who dived the Pacifica area all the time for abalone before the moratorium went into effect and was successful with limits of 8" plus abalone.

I hope you know I totally support reopening recreational free diving for abalone south of the gate to Yankee Point for a few reasons.

Sorry to the DFG folks, I see no data that suggest that a recreational abalone could not exists south of the gate to Yankee Point. Sure Otters are located in this area now and otters were located between these two land marks when we as recreational abalone divers have been and did experience a great and rewarding fishery before the moratorium.  Second reason for reopening between the GG and YP is and assured I know you know this is; I can not think of better way to reduce some of the pressure north of the GG.

Todd, basically in the ARMP, we as recreational abalone participants could of petitioned the Commission to reopen the area in question back in 2007.  The RAAC did vote and move to do so, but the DFG said no to the RAAC.  Remember, the RAAC reports and makes recommendation to the Director of the Fish and Game.  Thank god I am not limited that way.  By the way if I recall correctly the DFG reasons were and I do not agree with their justifications at the time were: money and they, the DFG, want to consider doing it gong into long term plan of the fishery.  Bull I say; my guess they clam a abalone fishery is not possible because of otters. We know otherwise do we not.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 08:30:13 AM by Red Abalone Diving »

Red Abalone Diving

my family used to get abalone at rockaway beach in pacifica, no joke, also was great for eels with poke pole- Other ab spots pre 98 my home dive spot, Moss Beach Fitzgerald marine reserve, flischmans reef, flat rock, and mushroom rock right next to mavericks, then south to pebble beach pescadero! Then Franklin point, Pigeon, ano nuevo island area, Davenport landing beach, abalone at steamers lane, then down south to Julia Phipher state park in Big sur, I saw a otter picking off abalone and I did the same the otter thus gave away a sweet spot:)

Todd and or anyone else, tell me what you might think the densities of abalone were at Fitzgerald before the moratorium?
Example: per an area of 6ft X 90ft how many abalone would one see?

Offline todd

yeah I too would love to see it open.  The only otters north of santa cruz are usually lone males searching for food. I have never seen an sea otter north of new years Island, never at Moss Beach. Honestly I was a bit too young to go diving deep, most of my abs at Fitzgerald were from low tide rockpick snorkling type work less than 10 feet. But Bob and his son Paul Spinali live right across the street and have dived there for 40 years.  Bob has one of the biggest abs pushing 12 inches, but not from moss beach.  I can go to the reserve at any low tide and find abalone at my secret spots, but it not as easy as sonoma county abdiving.  Moss beach is like Humboldt, babies are rarely seen and monsters are found instead of clickers. Its shale reef like Duxburry, uplifetd from seal cove and san gregorio fault lines,  and not too much bull kelp, very little.  Some giant kelp near seal cove.   The reef takes the brunt of the storms wave energy, the onyl thing blocking the waves is the farallon island swell shadow, otherwise surf is always up unless summer time.    I used to snorkle in the summer when the surf was flat and i couldnt understand why no one else was snorkling, it was way better than hawaii as far as concentration of life and color.  It used to be my monster poke pole spot, snorkle till you came across a huge purple urchin bed, the scared eels would swim into the holes under the urchin, its the wierdest thing seeing 20 eels scatter into the urchin bed just like magic, then poke the holes for a tasty treat.  ahh those were the days....
Todd Stagnaro

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Here is a little bit more history on ab diving down there, Dwayne Dinucci had pulled tens at halfmoon bay, grey hound so there were some big ones down there
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt