collapse

Author Topic: What not to eat or drink before free-diving?  (Read 2996 times)

Glaucus

Re: What not to eat or drink before free-diving?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 09:56:09 AM »
Matt, you should make your own dictionary!

:laughing7: kinda like the redneck dictionary !

:laughing4: :laughing4:  A lot like it!

Offline livesinhumboldt

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »
one soft pastry just to have something in my stomach and a soda in a plastic bottle. I take the soda with me to wash the salt and/or vomit from my mouth.

Zero booze the night before, unless I'm plannin on staying real shallow.
Bryan S.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »
I never eat before freediving.  Even if the ocean is calm or I'm not diving till the afternoon, as soon as I hit 30' with food in my stomach it's all over.  That's my reason, I know some professionals don't eat because it sends a signal to the brain to slow your metabolism thereby conserving oxygen.  Also not having food in your belly saves energy.

Trinidad

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 12:47:34 PM »
I never eat before freediving.  Even if the ocean is calm or I'm not diving till the afternoon, as soon as I hit 30' with food in my stomach it's all over.  That's my reason, I know some professionals don't eat because it sends a signal to the brain to slow your metabolism thereby conserving oxygen.  Also not having food in your belly saves energy.

Interesting.  Might have to try running on empty sometime.  Thanks

Offline gsharp

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »
Pb&J sandwich and water.

Peanut butter and jelly has never let me down.  And I read somewhere a few years ago that Terry Maas drinks Ensure instead of eating when he is diving.
Glen Sharp

Glaucus

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 02:54:26 PM »
I know some professionals don't eat because it sends a signal to the brain to slow your metabolism thereby conserving oxygen.  Also not having food in your belly saves energy.

Good point Josh.  Do you know of guys going out for multi hour spear trips on an empty tank?  I know the pro divers won't eat before a freedive comp (one extremely deep dive for depth) because digestion uses quite a bit of O2.  I don't think my punk ass could dive in cold water for too long with no calories. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:02:35 AM by Glaucus »

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 04:23:08 PM »
I can spend all day out there.  The longest Ive gone that I remember is 6 hours and I came back because the others were done, not me.  Hunger increases your focus too.  It's a hunters reflex to be a better hunter when you're hungry.

Offline livesinhumboldt

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 05:22:37 PM »
LOL .. I don't think I could play for team Hardcore like you guys. About 3 hr.s into a dive I start getting a little cold, tired and hungry. Instead of focusing on abs, my mind wanders to my truck and the bag of chips sitting in it.
Bryan S.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 06:05:30 PM »
Hunger increases your focus too.  It's a hunters reflex to be a better hunter when you're hungry.

:icon_thumright:

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »
The only prob I've had is being hung over. That's not such a great thing when getting in the ocean. I'm usually good for a bit but not long.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline Julian

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 04:23:02 PM »
I must be the only one out there who doesnt have food issues out there.  Seems like both my dive buddies usually give it up at some point during the dive.

I usually down one of those big Bolthouse Farms blended fruit or protein drinks (basically a cheaper brand of "naked" or "odwalla") and maybe a donut or a breakfast sandwich from Jack in the Box and havent puked once. 

Ive always stayed away from booze the day of a dive...not always the night before.  Having drank the night before leaves me a lot more tired and short of breath out there.  When I pulled my ten I had been drinking the whole night before and gone through an entire pack of Newports...but I think the planets were aligned that day or something anyway lol.

Trinidad

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 09:06:55 PM »
I can spend all day out there.  The longest Ive gone that I remember is 6 hours and I came back because the others were done, not me.  Hunger increases your focus too.  It's a hunters reflex to be a better hunter when you're hungry.

I dig it  :headbang:

Offline Flyin Brian

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »
I always stop at Whole Foods in Petaluma and get some garlic stuffed olives and some jalapeño stuffed olives too.  I go to the cheese aisle and get some hard gouda and maybe a little salami.  Then a spicy tomato V-8 to wash it down.  Oh, and a spicy burrito from the deli.  It always works for me ;)

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 11:03:45 AM »
Please don't ever lend me a wetsuit.

I always stop at Whole Foods in Petaluma and get some garlic stuffed olives and some jalapeño stuffed olives too.  I go to the cheese aisle and get some hard gouda and maybe a little salami.  Then a spicy tomato V-8 to wash it down.  Oh, and a spicy burrito from the deli.  It always works for me ;)

Offline .

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »
Eat ab guts, squid, and baitfish before you dive, so when you throw up it makes a nice chum slick  :puke:   :icon_thumleft:

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt