collapse

Author Topic: Breath hold tips.  (Read 6775 times)

Offline divn-cali

Re: Breath hold tips.
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2009, 12:15:11 AM »
Well you better have been diving ya little girl! What do you have on all of us, ~60+ years?!?! You old f***!! Im questioning the accuracy of BOTH that damn depth finder and your damn MEMORY. Too much whacky-tobaccy back in the day I think there Mikey-son.  :thefinger: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Believe it or not, but the wacky-tobacky helped to lower my heart rate, maybe that's why I can't dive that deep now? I haven't hit the wild stuff in at least ten years! Sorry to the author of this thread, Rob and I just like to play rough is all!!! And it's Mike-iagi not Mikey-son, I'm the sinsei not the student! :thebirdman:
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Abdvrob

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
Alright Mike, I think we have de-railed enough. I too am sorry to the author. Mikes right, we mess around alot and sometimes we get carried away.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2009, 12:59:29 AM »
All right, back on track. The last tip I have is when you get near the end, swallow hard! :evil6:
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline tommygun50

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2010, 01:33:54 AM »
The only reason I remove my snorkel before I dive is to allow it to fill with water at the surface.  If you don't do that, you'll hear bubbles gurgling (like with SCUBA) as you drop below; white sea bass will hear the same thing and disappear.
I realized about six months AFTER I took the Performance Freedive Clinic that I was using my chest muscles to hold my breath.  That's a MAJOR O2 waste.  Your breath is easily held by the pharynx (I think that is what that valve in your throat is called.)  Try holding your breath by locking up your chest muscles.  Then relax them while still holding your breath.  That's the pharynx in action.  You should notice the difference immediately.
tom krebs
San Bruno, CA

Offline speargearshop

• Sven Anderson Owner- speargearshop.com
    • speargearshop - high performance spearfishing hardware and lifestyle clothing
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2010, 08:18:32 AM »
The primary reason that a diver should spit his snorkel is that in the event of a desperation ascent or spasm, the impulse is to want a breath as soon as the surface is hit; there's still water in the snorkel and the first thing you inhale is water, not air.  That and having a snorkel in your piehole keeps you from completing the hook and recovery breaths.
Tom's right in that flooding your snorkle keeps you quiet and your air is held in your lungs by your larynx and what you pack in your mouth to let you clear and mask pump.

One other thing that has to be mentioned is that all this advice and training tips needs to come with the caveat that you need to have someone aware of what you're doing and able to revive you with you and this includes doing statics on the LaziBoy.  It's as easy to go into a O2 debt blackout lying on the floor as it is under water and the results are the same as well.

And doing the course in warmer water certainly makes the whole thing less daunting and there can be some time/depth tradeoffs. In Kona it was possible to hit 156' and have a 6:40 in the pool and those numbers went down by 10% in So Cal owing to wetsuit thickness and cold and lack of viz jacking with your mindset.  The course is easily one of if not the best thing I've done in terms of dive education, and worth every penny.

Kai Kane

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2010, 02:58:25 PM »
spitting out your snorkel also prevents water from being funneled down your throat in case  of a shallow water black out.

dansilveira

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »
After reading all the posts about increasing a divers breath hold, I was compelled to respond.

I am currently in the process of becoming a freedive instructor with Freediving Instructors International.
www.freedivinginstructors.com

I just want to caution people about learning how to properly freedive or increase breath holds by secondhand knowledge. The best way to become a better freediver or safer freediver is to take a course that has been developed by experts.

Some of the information listed above was correct and some was not, so rather then try to figure out which was which, go straight to the source. (A freedive instructor)

I will be conducting a few seminars over the next several months on increasing breath holds and spearfishing. If you are interested in attending, please see the dates and locations on my website:
http://www.spearfishingisnotacrime.com/classesandseminars

I will have a Level 2 freediving manuel to use as reference if anyone has questions at the event.

I hope that helps,
Dan Silveira

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt