collapse

Author Topic: Breath hold tips.  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
Re: Breath hold tips.
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 10:21:20 AM »
Has anybody bought the book "Freedive!" ?  I flipped thru it at a dive shop I was at last week and it seemed pretty good and of course covered breath holding techniques.  Kind of pricey at $45, but it is a thick hard-bound book.  Can anyone offer a review?

yakfisher

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 12:11:21 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Freediving-Underwater-Single-Breath/dp/1928649270/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259784621&sr=8-6

This is the book I would recommend. It covers everything. I have it and it made a big difference for me.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »
I have it and it is an awesome book with a ton of great info. Highly recomend it. I got it as a gift from a friend in so cal.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »
Just a little clarification. Static Apnea is holding ones breath while motionless and floating face down in comfortable warm water. Matt, the 100' dive was done in Florida, so yes, it was tropical waters. Our cold, dark and scary waters here that require a wetsuit changes everything in the way of breath holding dynamics. It gets really complicated when you start talking about balancing the Circadian Rhythm which is thrown off for several minutes if even your face is exposed to cold water. Also, I'd like to say that of all the techniques used for breath hold, the most valuable is the techniques that allow you to slow your heart rate and therefore O2 consumption. The heart rate is affected by way too numerous of things to talk about while one finger typing. I would love to have this conversation around the next Monthly Club Dive campfire. I learned some excellent meditation techniques that can be easily taught in conversation and practice while in a chair, then just apply in the water and I guarantee that you will see results. Over all it really comes down to being relaxed! All the technique in the world won't help if you're breathing at a rate of 100 breaths a minute!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »
Dont you think Mike, if you can acheive 100' in tropical could'nt you acheive 60 in our cold water here in Nor Cal?
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 01:45:19 PM »
Yes I do! It just depends on so much different stuff. Like, is the wetsuit tight or custom fit, that matters a lot when it comes to how deep of a breath you can take. Also, when you can see the bottom, it makes you much more relaxed and comfortable, when the unknown is removed and you can see where you want to go, that matters! It affects us psychologically and therefore in our heart rate. Anxiety is a killer for breath holding abilities. Generally, you lose about 1/4 to 1/2 of your down time in cold water. It's why the big competitions are done in warmer oceans. But again, that gets really complicated, because when they reach deep depths of over 200', the water becomes colder and affects their Circadian Rythym. It just goes to show how they posses a super concentration ability and learn/practice how not to let their rythym's change. My best dive here in CA is 65', of course I was 20 lbs. lighter and my suit fit much better (it's custom made), my partner timed my dive and it took me 1:15 seconds. Doesn't seem like much, but it sure felt like a lot! In Hawaii I dove 90'. I felt like I could stay forever, the only reason I would bring myself up was that I was afraid of blackout! The dive guide timed me and I was down over two minutes! So there ya go, I'm only giving my own experiences here. People and techniques vary, dramatically! We just practice at all the stuff and find what works best and become better at it.

Offline hamachijohn

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »
thx Yakfisher.  just clicked on the link and purchased the book, and much cheaper than B&N. 

Glaucus

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
I own Manual of Freediving as well, great book.  Very, very in depth.  There is quite a bit of great info, but some of it gets a bit tedious.  It is also very much geared towards diving 40m+.  Of course that would be great, but for the North Coast spearo there is going to be quite a bit of this book that just does not apply.  That said, the book is great and has helped me out as much as I would ever expect from a text book. 

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 04:05:53 PM »
I have it and it is an awesome book with a ton of great info. Highly recomend it. I got it as a gift from a friend in so cal.

Matt, are you talking about "Freedive!" or "Manual of Freediving"?

Thanks.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »
I have this one Manual of Freediving: Underwater on a Single Breath  as well as the Perfromence freediving insitute  student hand book which was a gift as well. Both are great books. But Like Mike said the main thing is slowing the heart rate and relaxing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all the excersise and trtaining wont amount to crap if you caint relax.

Abdvrob

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
My best dive here in CA is 65', of course I was 20 lbs. lighter and my suit fit much better (it's custom made), my partner timed my dive and it took me 1:15 seconds. Doesn't seem like much, but it sure felt like a lot! In Hawaii I dove 90'.

Oh yeah, Im calling out the  :bs: :bs: :bs: flag on this garbage. And my personel best in Ca. waters is 200' w/a BT of 6:38. SERIOUSLY. :laughing7:

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 07:45:23 PM »
Whatevvvvvverrrrrrr dude! Seriously, no BS, we were Halibut hunting in Monterey over sand, fishfinder said 65' with a flat bottom. Somehow our anchor got stuck on the only piece of slate rock around. So I dove for it, we had sucked our tanks dry looking for the flatties. I don't normally press my limitations but hey, I was young with a lot to prove, kind of like Rob! Any way, I came back from getting the anchor out with sand in my hand! So f*** you Rob! You're just jealous that the old man can best ya! While you spent your time honing your MMA skills, I was diving, BIOTCH! :laughing7: :icon_tongue:

Abdvrob

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 10:11:38 PM »
Well you better have been diving ya little girl! What do you have on all of us, ~60+ years?!?! You old f***!! Im questioning the accuracy of BOTH that damn depth finder and your damn MEMORY. Too much whacky-tobaccy back in the day I think there Mikey-son.  :thefinger: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 07:02:47 AM »
You two are cracking me up. :laughing4: :laughing7: :laughing4: :laughing7:

Offline rafterman

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 07:19:52 AM »
Boys take it outside...I've done 80yds underwater in a pool without fins.

With exercises comes a lower HR...what I do when getting ready to dive is "push the air out of my lungs" clean em out of air.
Also after watching the Samba video and other videos I see a number of diver without a snorkel in their mouth that a NO NO here on our coast, very bad. You need a guaranteed breath when reaching the surface, the snorkel assures that.

Do what You want to do…

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt