collapse

Author Topic: Breath hold tips.  (Read 6760 times)

Offline Dino222

Re: Breath hold tips.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 07:31:01 PM »

Recovery Breathing...three hook, three cleanse

Hey coot, it's been awhile since I took David's class, but if you could remind me what exactly are "hook & cleanse breaths". I usually just take long deep breaths to recover
Dino Spadoni

Offline Kaveh

• the ocean and I get along just fine
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »
relax the buttocks and dont clench.... yeah.. actually i have found that i do both when i dive and just this year have tried to make sure i dont.. i think the teeth clenching was definitely holding me back..

grummy..i too heard about holding breath while walking... that is a great way to do it because it can be measured quite easily and you can do it anywhere.. interestingly, what i read was slightly different though...

i read that you want to sit in a chair and breath steadily and attempt to become as relaxed as possible.. then take a deep breath and hold it as long as possible then slowly exhale... when all the air is gone, stand up and walk the distance.  this trains the body to function on very little oxygen. measure that distance and then next time, hold the breath and walk... switch off.. i tried it and it seemed to help, though around the same time i quit smoking 2 packs a day so its hard for me to say what helped more.
diving the edible ocean since '99

Glaucus

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 12:03:02 PM »
Before I reply I'd like to say that I'm very much in the learning stages of all this apnea biz, so what I'll post here is just what I've read...

I've been doing "tables" as well.  I usually lay down and do a 60 sec breath hold with no "breathe up".  Then breathe for 120 sec - hold 120 sec.  I just keep increasing the breathe up and the hold time.  Usually increasing by 30, 45 or 60 seconds.  I work my way up until I can't increase anymore.  I think you'll be very surprised how long you can go.  Anyone out there have a super long breath hold time (anything over 6 would be pretty serious ).

I have also done a little dynamic apnea in the swimming pool.  What I've mainly learned is that my technique with fins is poor (never even gave it much thought).  I can go almost as far underwater with no fins as with fins. With good technique I should be getting an additional 30-40% (as opposed to the 15% I currently get) by putting on freedive fins (picasso black teams).

The main benefit I've gained from this is learning to relax.  I visualize a super deep dive while I hold my breath.  I also try and relax part of my body you'd normally forget about (although I had not thought of buttocks until Matt brought it up).  Check out your tounge.  I read that it's pretty common to hold some tension in the back of your tounge, along with as Matt mentioned the jaw, when holding a large breath.  So far I wouldn't say this has turned into much more bottom time, but I'll keep working.

Someday we should get a group of NCUH's to take the PFI class together!  That way we'd all be on the same page and could help each other out.  Maybe next year...  :dontknow:

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »
PFI class next year I would be down I will start saving my pennies. That is money well spent for a free diver.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

yakfisher

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 07:56:16 AM »
PFI said they will put on a private class but the group has to be 16 people.

Offline Kaveh

• the ocean and I get along just fine
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 04:21:04 PM »
count me in!   so i know how much to save, does anyone have a link to the site where we will be doing this through?
diving the edible ocean since '99

Abdvrob

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:03 AM »
+1 for the PFI course next year. I think it's ~ $750. Not a quote.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 12:10:58 PM »
Where would this class be held and any idea how long it would be ?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »

yakfisher

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »
The class is 4 eight hour days with pool and open ocean. Most of the people that attend reach 100 ft by the end of the class. Their website has some impressive videos. The class is 695 but I think there may be some boat fees also.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »
Now when they say 100ft does that mean in our cold merky north coast waters or a 100ft in nice warm clear tropical waters ?

yakfisher

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »
Here is a report from someone on Spearboard

I just returned from the intermediate course with Performance Freediving in Ft. Lauderdale. It was an awesome and super-informative experience. Mandy-Rae and Kirk have devoted much of their lives to the study of freediving and the creation and collection of the best techniques and safety procedures available and they deliver it all to you in a well organized, entertaining four days of classroom, pool, and open water experiences. They and their two instructors, Erin and Ted, are natural teachers. There was never a dull moment. We saw videos of samba, blackout, competitions, anatomy and physiology, and practical applications of freediving. We played out dozens of rescue scenarios.

I left home with a personal best breath hold of 3:00 and a deepest dive of around 55'. At the course, I managed a static of 4:45 and dove 100' very comfortably. One of our fellow students pulled off a 6:45 static.

This is the best way to push the envelope on your personal diving limitations in a safe, planned environment.

If you haven't taken this course, I highly recommend it. There was no part of it I didn't like.

www.performancefreediving.com

Offline rafterman

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 09:18:45 PM »
Thanks...I just watched that guy swim the blue hole which made me look further into the web site cool stuff, I just did 2:02 in the chair.
Yakfisher can you share further info you gained from the course...
I'll go...
Do what You want to do…

Calif_Diver

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 11:55:04 PM »
Does any one know if there is a course  like this in northern california ?

yakfisher

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 06:24:02 AM »
I didn't take the course. That is a quote I copied from another person. They host a class in Monterey. Checkout the link in my last post.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt