collapse

Author Topic: Breath hold tips.  (Read 6759 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Breath hold tips.
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:38:47 AM »
Hey divers I was wondering what you all do to improve your breath hold ? I know the obvious is exercise and water time but what other techniques do you use. I know their is the PFI course but not everybody can afford 600 to 800$ dollars in this economy. Just some food for thought.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
Re: Breath hold tips.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 01:55:55 PM »
I'm a general contractor and spend alot of time on the road from job to job and to the bay area from the Chico area, as Im driving i will hold my breath. Sounds funny but it helps me.
Stacy
Rock On
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
 When im sitting around on the couch I hold my breath and watch the clock and every time I take a new breath I try and hold it for 10 seconds longer until I reach my limit so far its about 1 min 30 sec. It helps a little but i havent determined if it helps me in the water yet. I think this is called static apnia?
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:12:28 PM »
it is called static apnia when you are underwater and not moving

Offline surfbum138

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:33:48 AM »
I was a distance swimmer in high school and my coach had me breath through a straw when i was not in the water to get the body used to functioning with less oxygen. Start with a thicker straw and work you way down.

Abdvrob

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:48:13 PM »
I was a distance swimmer in high school and my coach had me breath through a straw when i was not in the water to get the body used to functioning with less oxygen. Start with a thicker straw and work you way down.

Very interesting!

Krisdude

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 07:51:44 PM »
functioning with less oxygen, I do that by smoking, I can hold around a minuet , but they say to hyperventilate your self a little to get out the carbon dioxide, the carbon dioxide levels is what tells your brain to breath, but don't let your self pass out from lack of oxygen from holding your breath to much. Just somthing I herd about over the years, and I think it does help

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 10:00:18 PM »
I have a book that says the sam thing about hyper ventilating just slighty. Tried it and Iam not sure if it helped or not. Next time i will pay more attention
Stacy Stephenson

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 08:18:01 AM »
   I never really tried til last weekend but Matt gave me some advise and it worked for me I guess it could be considered hyperventilating but as it was explained to me it is called breathing up i.e. taking about 5 large breaths right before you hold and go down and this practice seemed to improve my bottom time and breath hold. I understand that this puts oxygen in the blood stream before the the dive and improves your chance of a longer breath hold...
Jason Holliday

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
Also ideally it is good to wait 2 to 3 minutes betwen dives so the body can replenish the spent oxygen in the body. The other tip I have Ben told is to not clinch you jaw and relax you buttocks.

DUCTBOY

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 06:29:01 PM »
check out (Impluse Adventure), they have breath hold tables you can play with till you find the one thats best for you.My breath hold has gone from 90 sec. to 3 min. in a months time.(That is sitting in my chair at home not under water.)

coot

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
The tables mentioned by Ductboy are huge for improving breath hold times and are what Kirk and Mandy at Performance Freediving recommend to increase your static. Also, working out and diving a bunch can't hurt either.
Learning how to do a proper breathe up helped me to add almost two minutes to my static. The breathe up process is kind of lenghthy but it goes something like this:

5 minute facial immersion (mask off, snorkel in)
2 minutes deep breathing...2 second inhales, 10 second exhale
5 hyperventilations...1 second inhale, 4 second exhale
Final breath....making sure to fill diaphragm, thorax, subclavian, throat, mouth
1 minute breath hold
Recovery Breathing...three hook, three cleanse

I repeat this process and add 1 minute to both my deep breathing portion and my breath hold portion until failure. So my second set would be have a 3 minute deep breathing cycle and a two minute breath hold, etc.
I always do the recovery breaths and never hyperventilate excessively (more than 5) if you're diving.
Always use a spotter if in the water and don't push your limits if you're driving, standing, or any other time where a blackout could be hazardous.
This isn't gospel but it works well for me. I try to do it once or twice a week.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »
I'll try it on land first at home in controlled enviroment, then report back, thanks for the info
Stacy Stephenson

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 10:53:16 PM »
 Thanks for the great info I will try it out for sure ;)
Jason Holliday

Offline grummy

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »
The tables are great training. One works on preparing your body for a low O2 condition and the other prepares the body to work in a hi co2 condition. I would recommend doing O2 tables one day and the Co2 tables after 2-3 day brake (do each only once a week). The other thing that I have found useful is apnea walking. Its just like it sounds, start walking and a comfortable pace and breath up. Take a deep breath and hold. Measure the distance you walked and try and do a little better next time. Two pieces of advice, do this training on grass and with some one who knows what you are doing and two, after a short period of time your improvements will be measured in inches... don't push it   
Grummy
Ps. this winter I want to do some pool training when I cant get to the ocean. Any one interested in joining in?
Mike Grummell
Santa Rosa CA

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt