collapse

Author Topic: Freediving Wetsuits  (Read 1111 times)

chaeki

Freediving Wetsuits
« on: October 19, 2010, 08:46:18 PM »
I plan on hitting up freediveshop, and I know Matt wears a combo 7m top, 5m bottom.  What are you folks out there wearing as in mil?  My scuba is a farmer john 7m and I am comfortable with temp.  Is majority with 7m suits or 5mil for freedive wetsuits?

Offline kuba hemmerling

Re: Freediving Wetsuits
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »
I was in the same spot few weeks ago looking for a wetsuit and took good advise from the guys from NCUH to get two piece wet suit made by riffe, and like Glacus said "If you have never dove in a true freediving suit you don't know what you're missing" and he was absolutly right, I almost don't feel I'm wearing one, so if your budget is about 450 bucks go with riffe or yaz 2 piece suit.

Kuba

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
I wear a one piece 7mm wetsuit and have a neoprene vest underneath.  After 2 hours, I start to get cold.
When I read that Justin was able to stay in the water for 6 hrs!!!  I want a better suit and have been reading up on wetsuits.
So far, a two piece 7mm freedive suit with arm and leg seals looks like the way to go.  Getting gloves with good seals sounds like a must as well.  Oh, getting a bigger dive board where my body can rest out of the water will help me stay warmer too.   

And I know IST makes the freedive suit with knee pads (comes in handy when crawling out on your knees).  Goes for about $300.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:36:16 PM by snaildiver »
Alex L.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 06:47:48 AM »
I dive a yazbeck and I love it.  I'm frequently in the water for 5-6 hours or more.  A freedive suit makes all the difference as far as comfort and ease of movement, but the warmth thing is all about fit and ability.  Newer freedivers exert allot of energy thereby releasing allot of heat into their suit making the thin layer of water warm.  More experienced freedivers conserve energy and thus release less heat.  The professional freedivers I've dove with all get cold no matter how well their suit fits or how thick it is.  They get used to it.  You'll have to evaluate whether you're getting cold because of excess water transfer, (poor fitting suit),  or because you're that good a freediver that you're keeping your heart rate down and exerting such little energy as not to warm the water that is in your suit.  Either way, if you're not in a freedive suit you should be.   

Glaucus

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:07:02 AM »
I wear 7 mill Yazbeck top and bottom, and I've been cold a few times.  I wouln't consider wearing a 5 mil unless the water got above say 60 or so. 

chaeki

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 10:10:30 AM »
thanks for the replies... headed to freediveshop this week to pickup a real suit.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
I use a 7mill top and bottom Riffe, the only thing bad about the riffe is no knee pads but I got my hands on some and glued them on and it is great !!!!!!

CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Glaucus

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
I use a 7mill top and bottom Riffe, the only thing bad about the riffe is no knee pads but I got my hands on some and glued them on and it is great !!!!!!

Where'd you get knee pads?

Trinidad

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 11:16:34 AM »
thanks for the replies... headed to freediveshop this week to pickup a real suit.

Chaeki – If you can hold off on buying that freedive suit for about another month, the freediveshop in West Sacramento has a huge sale; like I bought my suit for around 50% off.  They have a huge selection of suits.  I would also recommend trying on a few suits prior to buying.  When I tried on four different suits, there was a clear winner in terms of fit.  And a suit that fits one person well; might be a poor fit for you.  I know Glaucus loves his Yaz and hated the Picasso… and the Picasso fits me perfect.

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 11:21:55 AM »
Where do you get those pads?  I want a dark Autobot Transformer Logo pad on my chest!
Alex L.

chaeki

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »

Chaeki – If you can hold off on buying that freedive suit for about another month, the freediveshop in West Sacramento has a huge sale; like I bought my suit for around 50% off.  They have a huge selection of suits.  I would also recommend trying on a few suits prior to buying.  When I tried on four different suits, there was a clear winner in terms of fit.  And a suit that fits one person well; might be a poor fit for you.  I know Glaucus loves his Yaz and hated the Picasso… and the Picasso fits me perfect.

I would love to wait a month.. but unfortunately the PFI class is next month.  And I bet the sale would be right after the class time frame, LOL.  But for sure, I will go in and test a few out.  I have been talking to Roger Yazbeck and getting his advice along with our guys here.  And just speaking to Vanessa at freediveshop, she really seemed helpful and knowledgeable on the subject like our guys here.  I think I will be spending at least 2 hrs in the shop trying them all on.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 02:48:31 PM »
Jon I shopped around for old scuba suits that had knee pads on them and removed from the ols suit and re-glued onto mine ! I founds a suit that had nice kevlar pads ! I will take a pc tonight and post so you all can see how it came out !
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

chaeki

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »
I have gotten 4 people to tell me to wait for the sale... so majority wins.  I will go to freediveshop to get fitted so I know my size, and just rent for the PFI class.  It looks like 2weeks after the class the sale will happen, and I would just get it then, because of my budget.

aquaman

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 08:10:41 PM »
you can make knee pads out of this stuff:http://www.graftobian.com/commerce/catalog.jsp?catId=2159  You just paint on a few coats.  It probably doubles the life of the knees of your suit.  Its very flexible so you don't really notice it when you are swimming.   It is similar to the stuff they put on the Picasso comercial seems, knees and elbows.  It also keeps the seams from unraveling on the old picasso suits (ghost and older). 

I wear a 7mm all year and put a 3mm vest on when the water is in the low to mid 40s.  If I am ab diving I can stay warm for a long time because I make a lot of shallow dives and I am constantly moving.   but if I am spearfishing for vermilion I like to lay still on the bottom.  My suit crushes and I don't generate much heat.  then I rest motionless on the surface for 2x my bottom time.  I get really cold after a few hours of that.  I dove Point Arena in the spring a few years ago.  It was in the low 40's on the surface and 39 deg under the thermocline.  Its cold where we live.

I didn't realize how much new gloves and socks help keep me warm until this year.  It makes a huge difference. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:22:01 PM by justin smith »

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt