collapse

Author Topic: Diving for halibut  (Read 981 times)

Offline Lino

Diving for halibut
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »
I don't mind freediving for halibut and I have been somewhat successful in coming home with a halibut.
Obviously I have learned that July was a good month to be out there looking.
This is my first year hunting halibut and I got them by doing my time.
The question I have is if anyone knows the time frame for finding halibut in the Monterey are, I want to continue and dive for halibut but I don't know if I will find anymore, or if it's over for this year.
All 3 of my halibut were taken freediving from a beach.
Lino
209-202-DIVE

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Diving for halibut
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »
way to go, that is impressive cause diving for butts involve punding lots of sand and to to do that free diving is dam good. As far as butt diving my days are pretty much done to boring I will take my ling,scallop diving over that any day. Just my 2-cents. 3 words TO MUCH SAND.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Flyin Brian

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:24:37 PM »
Hey Lino,  that's cool you are having such good results on the halibut.  I've freedived for halibut quite a bit and never seen one, I have only shot them on SCUBA.  All of the ones I have shot in Monterey have been in the 60 foot depth range, so I would never have been able to freedive those spots.  I know they come in shallower, obviously, but that's just the ones I have seen.

I'm curious what sizes you are getting?  Are they in the 22" to 26" range or bigger?  I mostly see over 30" in the depth I dive.  It sure is interesting to figure out where these guys are hanging out.

Take care, Brian.

Offline Lino

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »
I got 2 that were 25-26 and 1 that was 28.
This weekend I think I am going to dive for something different somewhere else.
Lino
209-202-DIVE

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt