collapse

Author Topic: easy way to cook filets...  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Flyin Brian

easy way to cook filets...
« on: August 04, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
I enjoy cooking fish a lot of different ways but I'm getting tired of the same old beer batter or bread crumbs style.  I shot a ling last weekend (thanks to Mike Rogers) and I had a filet in the fridge and decided to cook it for lunch today.  I thought about making up some batter but it's just a small filet, so I looked around the kitchen for a few minutes, thinking about ways to cook it.  Then I looked in the cupboard and saw my old George Foreman Grill tucked away back there and decided to give it a try.  I sprinkled some old bay seasoning on the filet and heated up the grill.  I slapped it on there and cooked it 2 minutes and then flipped it (it wasn't thick enough to touch both sides of the filet completely) and finished up with 1 minute on the other side.  Well, I just bit into that filet, and I have to say that was the juciest piece of ling I have had in a long time!  And it wasn't greasy or oily.  It literally had juices pooling up on the filet where I poked it with my fork, yet I did not add any liquid to it at all.

I think this George Forman gree-yill did a damn good job on it, and it's easy to clean up, so I'm definitely going to keep it handy from now on and try it a few more times and see how it does on other fish.  Heck, I think everyone has one of these things stuffed in a cabinet somewhere and forgets they work pretty good on this stuff... I know I did.

Abdvrob

Re: easy way to cook filets...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »
SOLD!! Im buying one now and am going to try that. Im having ab and Cabezone tonight, think I may beer batter my fish. Thanks for the idea Brian.  ;D

BTW- It was nice meeting you and Tessa last weekend  ;D Hope to see you 2 again soon.

Offline Flyin Brian

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:02:25 PM »
Rob, make sure you check the thrift stores... every time I go to goodwill or the thrift store, they have 3 of these grills stacked up for $5 each!!

We enjoyed meeting you as well and I'm looking forward to diving with you.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:27:01 AM »
i cooked  up some fish i shot at OC the other night,its been while since i had any rock fish so i beer battered it,for the most part it was prett D$@m good,but,i want to know what  fish you guys like best  or do you choose certain ones to shoot only or do you like them all . I think  of the ones i  ate i liked the  blue rock cod and the vermillion best at least the way it was cooked this time . Im thinking  next dives ill target the blues or vermilion and ling .

Offline Flyin Brian

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:20:56 AM »
Blues, Blacks and Olive rockfish are all pretty much the same taste to me - GOOD.  Vermillion is like friggin Lobster... sweet, pure white meat, YUMMY.  Ling is probably not as good tasting as vermillion but it tastes fine and they're so damn big you can feed your friends on one, so that's a definite benefit.

I've had other rockfish and I can't say I ever had a bad one, I just really dont target the others like China or GrassRock, etc.  I like Cabezon too.

I've never shot a sheephead, but some people say it tastes good.  Probably tastes like Gariibaldi!!  just kidding.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »
I've never shot a sheephead, but some people say it tastes good.  Probably tastes like Gariibaldi!!  just kidding.

LMFAO !!!! I my self don't eat fish but my wife and fam say they like the vermilion and lings, and blues and that is all I pretty much shoot that and the occasional kelp greenling.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:03:31 PM by matt mattison »
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

NorCalDvr

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 01:02:11 PM »
I shoot the BIG one's! The bigger they are the better they taste!! ;)

Abdvrob

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »
Lingcod has to be my favorite. Vermillion is a close second.

Offline Tim C.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »
Hands down, has to be a cabazone with a belly full of crab

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 08:15:06 PM »
Vermilion, Ling, Halibut, The Whole RCG Complex. Pretty much in that order. If you do Vermilion right, I personally don't think it can be beat, but that's only my opinion. Most others swear by Halibut and I must say, they make valid arguments.

So Brian, does that mean you weren't too thrilled with the breaded and fried Ling at mt house the other day? I feel crushed! :'(

Heck, whatever one is in front of my face and fresh, is probably my favorite for that day! ;D :D
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Abdvrob

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 08:43:29 PM »
Damn Mike, am I the red headed step-child?? I didn't get an invite.... :D :D :D :D ;D

I only eat ling if it's OVER 40". DOH!!!  ;D

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »
Keep it up Rob! I got a 42" softball bat for ya, ya punk! Damn, I'm still not over it! You lucky a-- b----! I hope you had a good time eating that huge ass Cab you shot too :o! You need to go to Vegas with that luck lately Bro! 8)
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Abdvrob

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
LMFAO Mike!! You kill me bro  ;D ;D

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:38:22 PM »
It's called he has good dive buddies putting him on some good honey holes and a little skill I guess LOL !!!!!
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Flyin Brian

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »
Vermilion, Ling, Halibut, The Whole RCG Complex. Pretty much in that order. If you do Vermilion right, I personally don't think it can be beat, but that's only my opinion. Most others swear by Halibut and I must say, they make valid arguments.

So Brian, does that mean you weren't too thrilled with the breaded and fried Ling at mt house the other day? I feel crushed! :'(

Heck, whatever one is in front of my face and fresh, is probably my favorite for that day! ;D :D

It was awesome, no complaints here Bro.  I'm just trying to increase my culinary diversity regarding seafood preparation.  :P

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt