collapse

Author Topic: Guide to Nor Cal Underwater Hunting DVD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 12989 times)

Red Abalone Diving

That's funny Trinidad, I forgot about that vid!  One time I read the comments on youtube and there were a bunch of tree huggers  :icon_puke_r: talking smack about my bit...  :boxing:

You got me there John. What was your bit?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
ADMN hat on ! Hey guys lets try and keep this thread on topic please not meaning to be a dick just want this to stay on topic and not get cluttered up with other stuff, thanks ADMN hat off
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
Bill, Matt, and Allen thanks for your responses. I was just trying to get people to look at it from another angle. I am by no means trying to sway anyone in any direction. Lord knows I could have used a DVD when I got started, even now. We could all probably learn from it.
Thanks
Ken
Ken Butler

Offline winklecl

Personally I think this is a great idea and I would be excited to be a part of it!
However, I don't think that anyone should quit their day job and expect this to be a big money maker. What were the numbers I saw earlier, 42K people bought tags last year? I'll bet the vast majority of those only get used 1-5 times during the year. To my mind those are diver/pickers who already have their spots and do it as part of a tradition. The number of people that actively look for new spots, want tips on gear, hunting technique or even different types of game are going to be a pretty small number of those 42K. When you consider production costs, man hours etc this is likely going to be a labor of love. But I can't imagine too much a better way to spend some time!

Red Abalone Diving

Todd, here is the beauty of it.  You do need my permission nor anyone else permission either for that matter and to be frank about it, I am looking forward to the day you come and interview me.  Sit down my friend and plan our questions well in advance, for I think it is going to be "you Todd" who can get it out of me...........it's going to be great story or the rambles of mad man. History is always been written in the eyes of the victor, perhaps not today.

Ken ,the moment you said somethings about knowing when and where to look for halibut and pointed out some common mistakes divers, be them free or scuba in all truths, I knew you were a study of the kill.  Given the time, I know you would of said or stated or phrased the most important question and I think it would of been and intended to get divers to think for themselves. I think you headed down the path of getting divers to ask the why question, rather than the ask question. To ask why is to learn. To ask where are they at tell's nothing.  Why are halibut here now and at times not, and if not here then why and where should they be and why. I like you know these questions are answered to truly be a practitioner in the art of the take or kill.  I could clearly see that was the direction you were headed when a your diver was firing question after question in the post relay's of the subject matter for which we speak.  I am with you and I like you perhaps to are wondering how to teach and not give it up at the same time.

Thanks you Ken for your insight. Keep it up. Well done.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 05:41:53 PM by Red Abalone Diving »

Offline todd

yeah I got some good response from divers who are unto it, your right about it being a labor of love, were not doing this for the money, education is first and instiling our forum values goes hand in hand with this project.  This forum has over 200 members and if each member contibutes a little they get in the vid, then thier friends and family will want to see it, then they will pass it along to other people who  see it and learn and possible bring the vid up in passing conversation with others.  Its a self and other benefit, starting with ourselves and then expanding our sphear of influence outward to family, then to friends, then to others, this way its gets around and good value seeds are planted in ways that exponentially increase awareness of this forum.  I often say to divers "have you seen that red treasure dvd" then I say "have you heard of the nor cal underwater hunters forum, pretty soon people will be talking about our forum vid and it will be far more positive than we can ever imagine.....
Todd Stagnaro

Offline todd

rember this vid is about more than just abalone, the index sights are also places of entry for spearfishing and bubble divers, yes most people stick to the sites they know, we are going to show the northern Del Norte sights but really only hardcore ab nerds are going to drive 7 hours to get to cresent city and such, but alot of people would still be interested in checking it out on vid and such....it kinda bonds the hunters who all share this great sport over such a vast geographical area
Todd Stagnaro

Red Abalone Diving

Todd do you have a rough time line yet.  Lets see you are heading up north soon right? What is the tentative scope toward this project you hope to do?

Red Abalone Diving

Ken ,the moment you said somethings about knowing when and where to look for halibut and pointed out some common mistakes divers, be them free or scuba in all truths, I knew you were a study of the kill.  Given the time, I know you would of said or stated or phrased the most important question and I think it would of been and intended to get divers to think for themselves. I think you headed down the path of getting divers to ask the why question, rather than the ask question. To ask why is to learn. To ask where are they at tell's nothing.  Why are halibut here now and at times not, and if not here then why and where should they be and why. I like you know these questions are answered to truly be a practitioner in the art of the take or kill.  I could clearly see that was the direction you were headed when a your diver was firing question after question in the post relay's of the subject matter for which we speak.  I am with you and I like you perhaps to are wondering how to teach and not give it up at the same time.

Thanks you Ken for your insight. Keep it up. Well done.

Oops!! I gave credit to the wrong person in the quote, I met Phil Herranen. Thank you for insight Phil and knowledge about halibut.

Hey Ken sorry about that too, it had been awhile sense we met at ocean cove. After seeing a pic of your inflatable in a post was what got me to realize I had gotten something foo bared up.  Phil is 100% dead on, the halibuts do like to be at 17ft mark or less in the summer and always will be in the bait fish or near by if around and at the same time they can be deeper too. Water temp is always a factor too; 55-60 degs water works, Lots of variables to be checked on and anyone of them can be the key for success for that day, that week, that month.       

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
It's all good Bill.

Ken
Ken Butler

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
Hey Todd, count me in on anything i can help with. I dont have a underwater camera or anything but im sure between Matt and I we could come up with some pretty good footage with his camera.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline todd

Thanks Brandon, we can start charting up the need shots soon, think about what needs to be conveyed to people as far as etiquet and gear and tips from pros type thing
If someone films a trophy being shot it would of course be a blessing, think scallops too

as far as timeline goes, not going to be done by opener unless we get a good turn out, I can do humboldt, and I know we have a lot coverd, I will post list of needed areas soon

Also good chance for any dads/moms out there that want to film your kids this is a cool chance to get them into the vid and make some good memories

Just talked with my mapping friend, we got another cartographer on board - more on that to come!
Todd Stagnaro

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
I like the idea of some Nor Cal under water video Todd.

I would say count me in but I just do not have the time or money write now,
but keep me updated and will jump in and help when I can.

Dave C

Offline todd

here is a working list of sights, we can ad more later, some spots are * for reason...... let me know which ones you would like to do or already have info and vid on.  Would be nice to get multiple vid to show for popular spots so dont worry if you think somone else has aready contributed for that spot, we will work yours in somhow, let me know if you have vid already of any areas.....

Del Norte: Crescent City

Humboldt:   Patricks Point
Humboldt:   Trinidad
Humboldt:   Punta Gorda
Humboldt:   Shelter Cover
Humboldt:   Other Humboldt County

Mendocino:   Bear Harbor
Mendocino:   Usal
Mendocino:   Hardy Creek
Mendocino:   ABALONE pT
Mendocino:   Westport
Mendocino:   Kilbesillah
Mendocino:   Mackerricher State park
Mendocino:   Glass Beach
Mendocino:   Georgia Pac Mill
Mendocino:   Todd's pt
Mendocino:   Hare Creek
Mendocino:   Mitchell Creek
Mendocino:   Jughandle
Mendocino:   casper cove
Mendocino:   Russian Gulch
Mendocino:   Jack peters Gultch
Mendocino:   Mendo headlands
Mendocino:   Gordon Lane (spring ranch)
Mendocino:   Van Damme
Mendocino:   Dark Gultch
Mendocino:   Albion Cove
Mendocino:   Salmon Creek
Mendocino:   Navarro river
Mendocino:   Elk
Mendocino:   Point arena light house*
Mendocino:   Point Arena
Mendocino:   Moat creek
Mendocino:   Schooner Gultch
Mendocino:   anchor bay
Mendocino:   Robinson pt

Sonoma:      Gualala pt
Sonoma:      Sea Ranch
Sonoma:      Black pt
Sonoma:      Fisk Mill cove*
Sonoma:      Salt point*
Sonoma:      Ocean cove
Sonoma:      Stillwater cover
Sonoma:      Timber cove
Sonoma:      Fort Ross
Sonoma:      Reef campground
Sonoma:      Cardiac hill
Sonoma:      South Goat rock

Marin:       Tomales pt
Marin:        Other marin
Marin:       Pt Reyes*
Todd Stagnaro

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Todd I will work on the sonoma locations,what kind of footage you want ? above and below the water ?
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt