collapse

Author Topic: Guide to Nor Cal Underwater Hunting DVD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 12999 times)

Offline todd

Guide to Nor Cal Underwater Hunting DVD!!!!!!

Ok members I have been talking with Matt Mattison and others members about this project we are about to embark on for some time now. Alot of you have been wanting to do a DVD video on nor cal underwater hunting and we are going to start on the project.  First off this will take some time, but with a little help from everyone it will go by fast. Its going to be a true community efort. This will be an epic dive DVD unpresidented in its scope and info on Nor Cal underwater hunters.  We will work as a group and we will have meetings in a central location (santa rosa) to go over details, brainstorming and planning. 

What is this project going to be? Its going to be the first comprehensive guide to everything hunted in norcal underwater.  It will be like Bruce Watkins book but better and more updated, far more detailed than the great read "all abalone are deaf" by Felix Macias, it will be everything "hunting for red treasure" DVD isnt.  Bruce's book is still the best guide out there and a MUST have for any hunter, but it is outdated and only covers sonoma and mendo very well, most marin sites are not mentioned in detail and humboldt to oregon dive sites are non existant, we are going beyond what has previously been acomplished.  Many of you have the "red treasures"dvd.  I have bought and given away over 20 for x-mas and intersted relatives.  Let me say that it is a good dvd and I have friends interviewed in it, but I have to critique it.  Its really just a glorified you-tube video, kinda "pat your self on the back" type job with some lame intro anthropomorphic narration and go nowhere  interviews.  The footage is great, dont get me wrong but they are so secretive about the diving spots and dont explain anything.  I really didnt learn anything from the video about trophy divers or abalone etiquet. If anything it scares you with tales of sharks and getting tangled in kelp. We will change that with the proper respect and honor it deserves, giving credit to native americans who showed us the way and give their histories and stories about abalone and their traditional use, talking with tribal elders and such, not just some show off vid, but somthing very tastfull and honerable.
    Our Idea is this, make a DVD for the club to sell and use the proceeds for club events and such, we can nail down those details later.  The DVD will be a Diving 101, going over comprehensive topics such as Dive gear, wetsuits, short vs long fins pro and cons, dive tubes and boards, rig set up, spear guns, mask and snorkles, ab irons and so on.  Tips from the pros on down time, clearing your ears and such.  That will be done with film examples with narration and so on. 

This is a great chance to instill values of the club to whoever watches, just think how many people will go out and buy 10 inch gauges after watching the informative DVD.  We could even have multi language subtitles or whatever, anything is possible....

We will have a section on how to properly pop and ab, showing how to do it with video footage underwater while explaining it,  diving and rock picking ettiquet and the do's and dont's of abalone diving, going over rules and regulations, politics, how to prep/clean abalone and simple recipies or links to our web site forum for more details,  ect....

There will be a section on taking game and we will show and talk about more than just abalone, including urchins,scallops,halibut, inverts, finfish  and even different varieties of kelp, and the more common things a diver will encounter underwater here on the north coast, and have a picture guide to rockfish so people can see what a grass rockfish vs kelp rockfish looks like and so on. The list can go on and on...

it can be like an underwater trilogy, the next part is the best of all....

The main part of the DVD will be going over the index sites on the abalone punch card.  We will go to EVERY site and get footage topside panoramic and in the water, compile it with fade in and out of maps of each spot.  We will break this down into sections for Marin, Sonoma, Mendo, Humboldt, Del Norte and Oregon.  We need footage of diving for each spot, also important to take a top side view of a good divable conditions and then show footage of the same spot on a non divable day, example: we show ocean cove on a 4-5ft swell in summer with perfect glassy seas and then show ocean cove 15-17 ft NW swell in April on a blown out day with white caps, then show footage underwater while talking about bottom substrate and what to expect.
 Listen I know a bunch of you are going to get Butt-hurt and PM me saying you shouldnt show all the spots, and keep it on the down low, were not going to treat it like an all you can eat diving buffet video,were not going to show your secret honey hole, but we are going to go over general dive site area, dont get butt hurt thinking you dont want "your" spot shown, thinking people will go there enmass and clear everything out, listen the coast is only so big and there are no secrets anymore,if your butt-hurt and this is your stance than just keep to yourself,but if you want to be involved in this project and want your ugly mug in the video than you need to contribute some footage or help in other ways big or small, plain and simple. By splitting up the index site work and abalone 101 prequil talks and demos,everyone can help out and we can amass tuns of vid fast and send it in to the editors for compilation, if you already have some youtube vids then we can patch them in no prob, show the name of the diver to give credit where needed, kids and women to be included....when you send in info, make the date, time, ocean conditions and divers name with the hard copy footage. Remeber we need you to go back to the same exact top side spot twice and show vid from perfect dive day and then undivable, helps people with sacramento syndrome really know what is acceptable diving conditions and newcomers can see how conditions change with swell and wind and other variables like low and high tides ect... Many of our members are pros, trophy divers,diving nerds,yes most of you are hardcore dive nerds, and have all the equiptment and cameras already so we will count on your knowledge to "get-r-done".  Its doesnt all have to be Imax HDTV quality, just good enough to be helpfull to anyone who watches it.  Heck we are going to get some great vid, I also know some pilots who can take us up and do some arial shots as well, can do the whole coast in one day taking off from the bay area, refuling at shelter cove and cresent city! We WILL make it happen folks, if you have any interesting thoughts, now is the time to speak up....

Also there are members of our forum who are musicians or computer nerds and we will put your skills to use.  When done this DVD will be library worthy and can be an asset to your resume for all involved behind the sceens, in other words, professional in all regaurds.

What can you bring to the table? let me know your thoughts and ideas..... I am going to get together with members at central locations yet to be named, like santa rosa and SF, central mendo and eureka area  and we will plan out what we need, have, and how and what resources that can be obtained to help our endevor.

I have a abalone diving friend who studied with me at Humboldt state with Geography dept. We went to Tibet for field research and GPS'd a tun of sites to help make computer generated high quality maps. He is a profesional cartographer and we are already making maps of all the abalone index sites on his fancy computer with multi-thousand dollar mapping software. Better maps that in Watkins great book, with bonus separete map PDF files you can print to bring with you on your dive adventure.  Listen, this would cost thousands to do with outside help so we are doing this for free, for the benefit of our club and diving comunity.  Its slow going but the two of us can make detaled maps of all the index sites to show during each segment.  So lets say you want to check out the chapert on Humboldt since youve never been there before, after clicking Humboldt section, a map will pop up, want to check out Patricks Point or just play all? No problem.  Once you select the site then it zooms to map, fades to top side footage with narration and subtitles to show access spots and such, show good diving conditions and then show examples of a day when its not recomended due to bad diving conditons, then will show underwater footage of abalone divers,urchins hunters,or reef shots if its a famous rockpicking spot, or scallop divers,halibut hunters, spear fishing and so on.  Next up, Cresent city, ect.....its may seem daunting to do all sites but we have people everywhere already that can do it and it will be easier that you think. I bet we already have 85% of all the film we need already at hand, we just need to get together and go through and pick out what goes best with each shot and whos ugly mug will go with each site.

People, every one will want a copy, we will sell soooo many just at club functions and campouts/cookoffs alone... after we run out of the first edition we will make new updated revised versions and so on, it wont be hard to go back and edit out some sites that might close in the future.  Every dive shop in the state and abroad will stock and sell this encyclopedic voluminous nor cal diving DVD, our forum website can also sell copies, it will bring new members to the club  and provide money for club events or web site maitenance into the future,and is a great opportunity to instill our club values to present and future divers of all walks of life, think about the lobbying power it will give our group for various political issues regaurding conserving our precious resource for recretional use in the near future, this is the DVD I wish I had when I was first starting out, when I had no dive buddy and limited knowledge.  Its the answer to all your questions from beginner to pros alike.  SO lets get together and share ideas on the forum and in-person Mid August and brainstorm all of our great ideas, allocate work needed to be done and so on so during the off season we can do the hard work of stiching all the data together.... many people have great ideas this will truley be the first and last DVD of its kind.  I will be in Humboldt later this year and can meet with extreme Nor cal hunters to get those areas covered and hit up my favorite oregon spots for footage as well. Im sure this topic will blow up so we might move the post to a new area or spit it up into different sections to make things go somother and more organized and coordinated. 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:54:53 AM by MATT MATTISON »
Todd Stagnaro

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Lets do it ! like I have said todd I am all for it and will help where ever I can.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:55:17 AM by MATT MATTISON »
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Red Abalone Diving

Todd, I could not think of anything more needed right now in our sport than the journey that you are about to guide us through. Well done start. Let me know what I can do to help.

Bill 

Offline todd

Yes Bill, we need your help to do a little abalone policy and the histoy/future of abalone rec diving segment, do a segment on how to understand creel studies and the issues you are most firmiliar with, also if you have some dive vid then we put it together with the rest of the groups efforts, we are all counting on you, thanks for your help!
Todd Stagnaro

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
Are you accepting suggestions?

I would include the "no-take" areas as well, with maps and maybe even video of the area along the Hwy as you drive thru.  That way people wouldn't inadvertantly get into the water in the wrong area.

I don't even know where they are, and can't use this sites Google Earth co-ords. because my computer is maxed out and I can't have GE.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline todd

yes, that is good idea, places like grestle cove are no take but still great diving area and teaching are for novie and pros alike, we will make map of these areas too!
Todd Stagnaro

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
We should allso get Milo and Scan invovled as well.

Red Abalone Diving

Yes Bill, we need your help to do a little abalone policy and the histoy/future of abalone rec diving segment, do a segment on how to understand creel studies and the issues you are most firmiliar with, also if you have some dive vid then we put it together with the rest of the groups efforts, we are all counting on you, thanks for your help!

Well Todd I don't where my contribution will fit in but, I think a good title would be for what you are wanting me to do could be called: "The Politics's of Ah-Baloney" (abalone); insight clarification and perspectives about the ARMP and the recreational abalone fishery, past, today and tomorrow.  Time to get that interview list of questions started. 

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
?? I am not sure how i feel about this one.  Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great idea if our Abalone Fishery wasn't hanging on the edge of an all out State wide closure. I feel like we would be opening the door to a lot of people that wanted to try diving for abalone but didn't have the knowledge to get started on their own. With that being said, we are inviting a whole bunch of people into our sport that according to Fish and Game we are depleting at an unsustainable rate. Now you and I know that there are crazy amounts of abalone out there but Fish and Game claims are different. Is there another way money could be raised for the club? NorCal Abalone Cook Off Cook book? With recipes that cover everything we can harvest from our NorCal waters Urchin, Mussels, Abalone, Specific fish species, and etc.? I don't know I'm just throwing ideas out there.
In my opinion I think it is a great idea, 15 years to late.  Will you make money? Absolutely! Will it be good for the Abalone Fishery??
Ken
Ken Butler

Red Abalone Diving

Hi Ken, you raise an interesting question. Perhaps the answer goes something like this: sense the recreational abalone fishery started operating under what is called the interim phase of the fishery plan, the number of the participants basically has remained same form 35K to a high of just at or slightly over 42K participants each and every single year or at least card buyers. Typically I speculate this equation is not always thought out or given much insight about what this really means. By this I mean, for the root means squared to be true at points in time, the new participants entering the fishery must generally equal the exiting participants of the fishery. This is the classic the ends must equal the outs equation. Thus far, this seems to be the case in our fishery. This equation is a function of time dynamics; the new divers entering and the experienced divers leaving, what better mechanism than Todd's video archive to ensure that the new divers entering the sport can learn form the mistakes of the past from the experienced divers and exiting divers.  I am not so sure it is a issue of inviting new divers into the fishery, because they are coming on their own, perhaps it would be better to have them be somewhat better educated and better informed before they get here so they might not make mistakes. Heck this might even save a life. And I do believe the premise of what Todd is wanting to do is not just all about abalone either.

Just another perspective for our considerations towards this endeavor. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:01:06 AM by Red Abalone Diving »

Trinidad

NCUWH already has an abalone action star on the board = Glaucus!  See ~1:28

Dangerous Diving for Abalone: VC2
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 06:53:58 PM by Trinidad »

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
Ken I can see your point but like Bill said new divers and people are coming to the sport any ways  more and more every year ! why not try and educate them before they start doing damage to the fishery,The honnor and ethics and respect for it !  I know if there was something like this it would have helped a ton of divers I know including my self. It is not like we are telling people where to go to honey holes but a basic understanding of all the aspects of the sport. This is more for educational  purposes than a fundraiser for the web site ! And to clarify we are not a club but an open forum for nor cal divers.

Sincerly
matt mattison.

rangair94

I think that the market would be mostly current divers. I don't think that thousands of people are going to watch this and start diving, depleting the oceans resources at an alarming rate. I think the hardcore ab community is pretty small.

Glaucus

That's funny Trinidad, I forgot about that vid!  One time I read the comments on youtube and there were a bunch of tree huggers  :icon_puke_r: talking smack about my bit...  :boxing: 

chaeki

I would like to be part of the recon team, that stakes out the late nights looking for the ab poachers, then beating the sh*t out of them traditional style.

LOL

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt