collapse

Author Topic: Reef Campground  (Read 2565 times)

Offline jackyd

Reef Campground
« on: July 22, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »
How available is the reef campground on weekends? If I were to show up first thing on a saturday morn during abalone season would I get a spot? Every campground that is not first come first serve is booked solid on weekends, if I am not mistaken?

Glaucus

Re: Reef Campground
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »
I would not count on it.  From what I've always seen all of the campsites are taken on the weekends all up the Sonoma Coast, the key like I'm sure you are aware is to catch the one guy that happens to just be there for Friday night.  I always try and go get a spot on Thursday after work.  There is another first come first serve campground just north of there, Stillwater Cove, run by the Sonoma County Regional Parks.  They have a walk in site that is usually available.  They call it a hiker/biker site but it's just for folks without a huge mess of gear to lump.  The host has been cool in the past about letting you know who is leaving that day (if anyone at all).  If you really get skunked you can go to Pomo Campground in Jenner (FCFS policy).  My guess is you'll be staking the place out for a couple hours waiting for someone to leave, but you probably already know that.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »
Go to ocean cove first come first serve  it is only a few more miles up the road ! and it is only 20 a per a vechile per a night insted of the state parks 35 a night and oc even has hot showers !
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Glaucus

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:56:35 PM »
Freediving or Scuba?

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »
I have camped at ocean cove and never faced problems finding a spot. It may be due to it not being state run so the people just pack in as many as they can. Unless you end up next to a roudy group, it is a great spot to camp.
Alex L.

Trinidad

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:30:16 PM »
My idea was to spear fort ross because people were telling me fort ross has awesome spearing.
I've free-dove FR twice this year and the first time out I saw some rock fish (yellow & black, blue, etc) but nothing huge nor in great numbers.  The second time I went out I saw nothing worth shootin.  I'd recommend to 'save' FR for another day if the ocean is flat to flat-ish b/c you can dive FR almost any day of the summer.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt