collapse

Author Topic: Duxbury reef Marin county  (Read 6805 times)

Offline todd

Duxbury reef Marin county
« on: July 09, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »
Has anyone dove or rockpicked at the Duxbury reef near bolinas? its the largest intertidal shale reef in north america, the Indians used to get abalone there....
Todd Stagnaro

Glaucus

Re: Duxbury reef Marin county
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
I've always been intrigued by the reef when I'm surfing Bolinas.  I've heard it's very dirty with some major currents.  I'd be very interested in diving it with you if we can find someone who knows the currents a little.  I've looked at it from the cliff and getting drug off to see looks like a good possibility...

Offline todd

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »
yeah on super low tide you can walk 1000feet out to the tip and only then would you have to get wet, Im down too, lets do it....
Todd Stagnaro

Offline todd

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:33:57 PM »
Todd Stagnaro

Offline todd

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
Todd Stagnaro

Glaucus

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:06:08 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm in.

Offline todd

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 12:27:32 PM »
Im heading out on tuesday wiht my poke pole and to scout abalone, 6am -1.4 low tide, any one else is welcome! largest shale reef in north america.....
Todd Stagnaro

Offline todd

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
here is a good article on the Dux.....

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/fishing/13439/1

At dusk fog hides the shore. Kelp swishes against waders. It's easy to imagine Angelo wanders still over his favorite rocky reef. A gnarled and bent Italian, he died by the side of a favorite tide pool at age 87. Nobody was surprised when they found a sack full of rockfish and an empty bottle of home-made wine next to his body. For, like the Coastoan Indians who planned their days to the ebb and flow of the tide, Angelo lived off the shore. He would appear from the mists with his poke pole on one shoulder and a sack of fish. Unknown, probably unloved, his claim to attention was the fact he always caught fish We first meet when, like many Bay Area Italians, I learned to poke pole off the reef at Bolinas north of San Francisco Bay. Like most, I wasn't impressed with Angelo. A tiny man, he moved slowly even then, but he never slipped on the slick rock and kelp that mock "non-skid" wading shoes. His tackle, a twelve foot long bamboo poke pole with a rusted cyclone fencing wire extension 16 inches long tipped with a size 2 hook baited with mussel meat, didn't compare with my new collapsible fiberglass model. The torn gunny sack he had "improved" with a tarred hemp rope shoulder strap lacked the convenience of my paperboy's bags. Still, as happened many times over the nearly twenty years we shared the reefs, his tattered sack bulged with more and bigger fish and eels than I ever managed. 쳌 A quiet man, who I later found knew Dante as well as the label on the screw-top Gallo bottles he favored, he offered his help that first day. So I took my first rockfish and eels out of the far from obvious slits, slots and holes in the rock he showed me. Perhaps Angelo died at the right time. Poke poling fades as today's fishermen often buys technology, rather than learning expertise. Poke poling isn't glamorous, merely effective. Poke polers aren't impressed with gear; you can rig up for less than five dollars and glean bait from the rocks. Poke poling is only the most effective way to take fish off reefs and around shore kelp. Even better, it's as near home as a rocky shore. I've poked up rockfish -- even the odd lobster -- off the Maine coast, and prodded my poke pole into holes in the reef from Mexico to British Columbia to Prince Rupert with solid results.

Read more at Suite101: POKE A POLE IN A HOLE http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/fishing/13439/1#ixzz0tW22cYrc

http://offshoreanglers.com/discuss/forum_posts.asp?TID=5498&PN=1&get=last
Todd Stagnaro

Offline todd

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:03:54 PM »
have report comming, just got beck from epic Dux low tide, wow I was amazed, and rewared with a fatty rock fish!!!!! I saw some abalone too......pics and report comming soon, what a cool reef!!!!
Todd Stagnaro

Glaucus

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »
 :headbang: Glad to hear somebody got out of the office today!  Can't wait to hear more.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt