collapse

Author Topic: what is your perfered gun ?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
what is your perfered gun ?
« on: June 28, 2009, 07:32:59 PM »
what is your perfered gun ? I like the Ab billers, they work great and they do not cost a arm and a leg to buy.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Abdvrob

Re: what is your perfered gun ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »
Yeah, but if you can gat a Sea Sniper 90cm at discount, I'd recommend it  ;D ;D ;D

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »
what is your perfered gun ? I like the Ab billers, they work great and they do not cost a arm and a leg to buy.
I have an AB Biller 32 Special. It's awesome!

-eR
20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:43:04 PM »
That is what I just bought 2-ban 32 inch woody, I also have a jbl 3-ban 38 special for the big game and a 12 inch Mares pneumatic for up close hunting in the holes.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »
  I prefer my jbl 220 custom double band. Its light weight and has a hell of a kick aswell as it has never let me down...Also it was free i found it on a dive at about 20' at fisk north..
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Abdvrob

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »
  I prefer my jbl 220 custom double band. Its light weight and has a hell of a kick aswell as it has never let me down...Also it was free i found it on a dive at about 20' at fisk north..

You cant beat that!!

Im STILL waiting to get my Sea Sniper bloody!! Had it lined up on some rockfish, but I didn't pull the trigger. I think I want it's first kill to be something bigger. At least a Red or Cab. A ling would be GREAT.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
Abdvrob, do you shoot a 90cm on the orth coast? I bought one  but  thougt it might be t o big for conditions up there, gave my JBL away so im planning on  using a air gun and maybe the 90cm.

Abdvrob

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 10:26:39 PM »
Yeah, I have the Reef 75 which is 95cm long. Anything longer than this would be hard to handle up North. I friggin love this gun, it's got all the stopping power I need.

Abdvrob, do you shoot a 90cm on the orth coast? I bought one  but  thougt it might be t o big for conditions up there, gave my JBL away so im planning on  using a air gun and maybe the 90cm.

Diablo Loco

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:26:46 AM »
For most of my hunting at short range (less than 10') I rely on my trusty Riffe C-1.  I have used for about 15 years.  I have shot more fish than is possible to count.  That gun has never let me down and I have shot some pretty huge fish with it.  I am still even working with the original shaft.  It has never been bent.  This is not to say that this is the best gun, only that it is my favorite and most trusted gun.  It has "mojo."

Calif_Diver

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »
Brain  is the  riffe c1 your gun the  competitor#1 ? im eventually goin to buy a smaller gun althought i liked the 90cm Mako  the pneumatic i shot i missed more fish thne i hit with thee air gun so i eaither need to learn  how to aim the air gun  or retire it after two fish lol. i do like the  air gun because it is  real easy to load.

Diablo Loco

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Brain  is the  riffe c1 your gun the  competitor#1 ? im eventually goin to buy a smaller gun althought i liked the 90cm Mako  the pneumatic i shot i missed more fish thne i hit with thee air gun so i eaither need to learn  how to aim the air gun  or retire it after two fish lol. i do like the  air gun because it is  real easy to load.

If I were you, i would retire the PNEUMATIC and get a banded gun.  The PNEUMATIC guns have their place.  They are for close-quarters shooting, like hole hunting.  The reason they seem to be inaccurate is because they are so loud.  It spooks the fish that are out in the open when they are fired.  The fish jumps and you miss.  It's hard to miss a fish that is holed up.  I have had a few PNEUMATIC guns.  I do not care for them.  Some people swear by them.  And in my opinion, they have not had much experience with other spearguns.  I have owned more spearguns than I am willing to admit.

Yes, my gun is a C-1, which is the Competitor series.  They are expensive.  I only bought this one because a dive shop went out of business and I was at the right place at the right time and bought it for $100.  For the money, I would buy a Mako.  I do not think you will have any problems with their  guns.  If on the off chance that you do, Dano will fix the issue or just send you a new gun.  Because Dano custom makes these guns once they are ordered, he can make one that will fit any size you want, even if it is not listed on the website.  Just ask him.  Get the open muzzle.  For Nor Cal, nothing bigger than 90cm.  A 90 has great range.  But I would lean more towards an 70 to 80.  And get a reel.  They are cheap from Mako, but quality made.  Bets of luck deciding.  But get rid of the PNEUMATIC.  Sell it on Ebay and use the money to buy another gun.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:26:44 AM by Diablo Loco »

Abdvrob

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »
I TOTALLY agree with Bryan on just about everything he just said. I said it earlier, the pneumatic guns are loud. Banded all the way. I have a 90cm gun and I wouldn't get anything bigger than that. If the kelp is real thick, I'll take out my smaller JBL which I've been using since I was a kid. I've looked at the Mako guns as well and they look real good for the price. I have been bouncing around the idea of attatching a reel to my Sea Sniper, or just keep it attatched to the floatline. I guess its all personnal preference.

Offline thereefgeek

• Do what you like, not what your friends like.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 08:32:18 PM »
My prefered gun?  The ones I built ;)
-Rich VanDusen (my friends call me "Dick")
www.svrambleon.com

Abdvrob

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 08:50:10 PM »
My prefered gun?  The ones I built ;)

In a while, I'll be able to say that too!! ;D

Calif_Diver

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »
well  some of you guys  build some nice looking guns, i dont have the right equipment to build one or  much less the patience.Brain i do have a Mako 90 and it did shoot  great, ill look on makos site again or call dano  when im ready for a new gun and see if he can make me a 75cm. Do you like the open muzzle  better then a closed one? ihave the closed Muzzle  on the 90 cm and it seems like a PITA to me some times. I also got a reel from Mako for the 90cm, after a trip down to monterey and  trying to use it under water i removed it, maybe i just need to get used to it,might use it if hunting halibut. PS im not blaming any PITA on Mako  IM a rookie using these guns  so its all my bad ,just need more time  in the water with the equipment to get used to using it  i think.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt