collapse

Author Topic: Reverse Cove Carmel.  (Read 923 times)

mtv_medic

Reverse Cove Carmel.
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:18:23 PM »
Went o Reverse cove in Carmel yesterday freediving for rock fish.  Me and a friend from work arrived around noon to mile marker 66 on HWY 1.  first turnout past a grove of Cypress trees on the right  and parked.   Take a trail the goes to the coast about 75 yards north of where the turnout is and follow the steep grade on down to a little sandy beach.  We put into the water around 1PM and kicked about 75 yards out through the kelp.  Visibility was pretty good somewhere in the 15-20 foot range with a mild swell and light surge.  The cove is very shallow mostly in the 20-30 foot range with a few areas around 40 feet.  Lots of rocks and very thick kelp with a beautifully array of colors and invertebrates covering everything.  Now as for the fish....a Little disappointing.  We spent 2.5-3 hours out there and saw a few Perch and one decent rockfish.  I'm very new to this but couldn't figure out the lack of fish.  As far as i know everything was there including cover, kelp, rocks, small bait fish, and pretty good protection from surge.  Don't know maybe it was just a bad day.  Anyways we had good time and i defiantly feel i improve my diving every time i go out.

NorCalDvr

Re: Reverse Cove Carmel.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
Dont be discouraged this IMOO has been a very light year as far as Quantity of rock fish up and down the coast. But, the big ones are out there!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »
some days are good and some are not so good, all that counts is you enjoyed your dive. Way to get the gills wet, and one of the best ways to improve your skills is time in the water and that is what you got and a good dive.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:24:22 PM »
 Thanks for the report happy to hear you got wet . Sorry about the bad luck with the fish and all but dont get discouraged they are there somewhere and trust me you will find them sooner or later....... ;)
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt