collapse

Author Topic: Tips for MacKerricher state park?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Tips for MacKerricher state park?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 10:15:41 PM »
WHEN YOU ENTER THE WATER YOU ENTER THE FOOD CHAIN !
just to clear things up, im not worried about the man in the grey suit but i do know that hes almost always there so im just thinking that hes there more than we think he is.
you got that right
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline gsharp

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 08:29:24 AM »
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes segment the week before last about the South African diver who scuba and free dives with great whites.  He sometimes grabs their dorsal fins for rides.  I can't remember this guy's name but he says different sharks have different personalities, just like humans, and some sharks you can play with and some you can't.

The visibility where he dives is much better than our north coast.  I wonder if that helps with the sharks.
Glen Sharp

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »
Well, I just got back from MacKerricher and I guess I left just after Bigfin mentioned the sheltered cove south of the point from the wooden path.  Kind of glad I didn't dive there after reading all the follow-up posts about the seals and the landlord tonight.  I actually ended up diving at Fort Bragg in Noyo Bay because the friends I was with wanted to launch their kayaks there to rod-fish: 

On Sunday we went out and my friends were kayak rod-fishing while I dove from a kayak.  It is a very easy entry with a kayak from the parking lot.  Maybe 100 yards from the parking lot to the water.  Collectively, just the rod fishers got one 26" ling cod, 4 black and yellows, one 18" cabezone! and one black.  We kept to the north side of the cove just off the first rocky point.  The mid to south side of the cove gets lots of boat traffic.  The vis was between 5-15' and the swell was a bit choppy, not too bad though on the north side of the cove protected from the point. The cove has a very rocky bottom with some areas that drop to at least 50', mostly it is about 20-30' from 100+ yards off shore, with some shallower rocky peaks here and there.  The bull kelp is just coming in in areas about 100 yards and less from shore and in these areas I saw some schools of really small fish, some small greenlings, very few urchins, and a decent amount of abs, but didn't see any much over 9".  Most of them were about 8"  I shot one yellow and black and picked one ab for dinner.  (Cooked it up coconut style from someone's post a while back on this site.  One thing I would add to that recipe that is super delicious, make a salsa using about one part Trader Joes pineapple salsa and one part Trader Joes sweet chili sauce...mmmmm!  Dip it or do it taco style with some guacamole.)

I really liked the campground.  It's close to town, has a small lake (which is stocked with trout but I guess this winter the ocean came in and the salt water killed most of them), nice mix of tree shade and open sunny spots.... 

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 08:03:23 AM »
Sound like mendo's own fort ross the only reason I say that is that the landlord frequents both these spots. I have seen the big guy 2 times now at fort ross cove. The first time was about a 16'er off the rocks at the north point. On this occasion there where divers in the water and they never knew(guess he wasnt hungry) scary huh. The second time it was a larger fish with a 2-3' dorsal fin amd must have been 100 yards off shore. I will never dive fort ross and thatnk to you guys MacKerrick soundl like a good place to pass on. Thanks for all the info.
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

skicat7

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »
thanks diver Dan, that was a great post. I'm heading there on Thursday for my first stay if they let me. I'm draggin a 28 foot trailer with a reservation for a 20 footer.  We'll see how that goes. some times It is easier to ask for forgiveness.  We have a back up plan at pomo.  I think I'll hit peter creek if I stay at pomo.  As for the land lord which,rightfully so, has been a big topic on this post.  He owns the water but in respect to other man made killers, he really does not eat on man that much when you think the number of people who play in his house. when I punch my card for the last time, that is when I'll think about him.  I think we are very fortunate that the tiger and Bull don't like our waters. I fear them a hole lot more when I'm swimming in there back yard.

skicat7

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »
Just made it home on 6-23. 6 days at mackerricher.  We dove the cove south of the wooden walk way the first day.  Vis was about 1 foot or less. we ended up at Mendocino headland for abs. vis was terrific.  All the abs were solid 8.5.  Great trip.  We went to Van Damn to swim later in the week.  Fish were small and wary of every thing. I really missed my boat. It spoils you. I see why yaks are becoming so popular.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt