collapse

Author Topic: Tips for MacKerricher state park?  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
Tips for MacKerricher state park?
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:04:10 PM »
I'm going to MacKerricher state park this weekend for the first time and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for a good beach dive in the area.  Thanks!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Tips for MacKerricher state park?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:26:23 AM »
never dove there but let us know how it is
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Kaveh

• the ocean and I get along just fine
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:32:16 AM »
I dove there once and after talking with some local divers i found out that you want to walk a little... there is the large cove that you dont want to dive when you first park.. instead you want to find the wooden path and walk it till you go around the bend and dive south of the point.. i tried that and found it to be successful
diving the edible ocean since '99

skicat7

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:44:38 AM »
Are you ab diving or shooting fish.  I'm heading up there in two week so any help would be fabulas.  The only spot up in Fort Bragg I walked in to shoot fish was glass beach.  The group I went with swam for snails south of Fort Bragg.  Good luck, I'll keep looking to see what the rest has to say.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
My only opinion about MacKerricer is, the wooden walk way leads out to a point and  there are alot of seals/sea lions there, and we all know what  likes to  eat them. If they put that board walk  there so people can walk out and see all the  seals and baby seals. To much of a smorgasboard for me to dive there.

skicat7

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 12:51:26 PM »
My 2 cents on seals. A boat shop owner in sebastapol once told me that if the seals are all playing around and having fun in the water, that is a good sign.  If the locals are all fighting for space out of the swell and barking at the water, it means the the bar has opened up early and go have a barley pop instead of diving.  To restate it, listen to the wild life.  They deal with the land lord alllll the time.  They are your best friend and first alarm of danger.  Never think that you have to go plunder! keep it as a privilege.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
I have heard the same thing before,i just hate to be in the water when 100 seals are wanting out.

skicat7

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »
 :violent1:LOL that is what makes this such a great club.  It forces you to look at things differently.  I would love to have the ability when my swimming days are done to go back and see how many times the land lord was swimming around me. 

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 01:34:35 PM »
thats funny you say that cause i have thought about that alot. especialy when diving spots that are wide open or diving out of a boat when you anchor 250 yards+ from where you are gonna dive and then swim through the deep water to get where your going.im sured hes been around at least once or twice.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

aabaloneguy

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »
I take new divers there. There is a slight cove  out at the left end of boardwalk.  When the viz is good there is some easy to swim to small abs in less than 12 ft.  The point stops the north swell.  The bottom is the typical north coast aquarium with perch, crabs,rockfish and bottom kelp. The entry and exit is easy and it's a shorter swim for 7-8 inch abs than Vann Dam state beach.  Speaking of Vann Dam,  there are still 9 inch abs,  amazing for the amount of use that area gets. The only shark I have seen there was a 4 ft leapord.....gave me a little startle....beautiful fish.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 03:04:01 PM »
Never dove there cause the locals talk about that being a hang out for the landlord. I dove the harbor, go off the jetti and swim to the concrete wall, thgen swim out past the big rock, there's some great topography there. We've pulled some 9 plus out of there, just look out for boats. Also Jack Peters Creek is a pretty good place, thats south of Fort Bragg. Hope that helps.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Abdvrob

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »
I see it the same you fellers see it. I feel comfortable with the seals playing around, BUT I cant outswim a damn seal trying to exit the water!! I can try and shank one and slow it down a bit and give myself a better chance. But thats it! :laughing7:

chadwtts

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 06:54:14 PM »
My 2 cents on seals. A boat shop owner in sebastapol once told me that if the seals are all playing around and having fun in the water, that is a good sign.  If the locals are all fighting for space out of the swell and barking at the water, it means the the bar has opened up early and go have a barley pop instead of diving.  To restate it, listen to the wild life.  They deal with the land lord alllll the time.  They are your best friend and first alarm of danger.  Never think that you have to go plunder! keep it as a privilege.
I've used this theory a few times myself, but I've never seen the landlord on the shore that has died from starvation, but I have seen more than one seal with its fricken head bit off. My point being I don't think the locals(wildlife) always know the landlord is around until it too late for at least one of them. I hate being the slowest seal in the water.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
WHEN YOU ENTER THE WATER YOU ENTER THE FOOD CHAIN !
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »
WHEN YOU ENTER THE WATER YOU ENTER THE FOOD CHAIN !
just to clear things up, im not worried about the man in the grey suit but i do know that hes almost always there so im just thinking that hes there more than we think he is.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt