collapse

Author Topic: Diving from a jet ski  (Read 1518 times)

Offline rafterman

Diving from a jet ski
« on: June 04, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »
Has any one dived from a jet ski
Do what You want to do…

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
Re: Diving from a jet ski
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:48:23 AM »
HaHaHa, That sound bad ass!! I'm down to try.
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
I've fallen off a jet ski.  Does that count?

Seriously, it seems like an awesome idea on the right day.  Some gear-storage and anchor issues to resolve, but talk about range!

Do, however, keep in mind that you are required to tag your abalone when you get back on your jet ski.  Yes, right there on the seat before moving.  Fill out the tags and attach them to the shell or the citation will be yours.
Ken Goudey

rangair94

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:09:22 PM »
I don't think it would be anymore difficult to tag them on a ski then a boat.

Offline rafterman

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »
I'm thinking one of those three seaters, the ones like are used at surf comps.
Do what You want to do…

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »
To damn much money to spend. guess you could rent one though
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 08:57:29 AM »
 All I can say is good luck renting one for salt water. Anyways there are a few jet ski divers in so cal and Ive seen setups with a skid on the back normally used for rescues but converted like we do to out boogie boards with storage for everything. I think the coolest thing is that you only need 18" to float around you could tuck in pretty tight to shore. When I really think about it who ever decides to take this venture make sure to have a buddy with his own to travel with. safe diving
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 03:30:44 PM »
Whats the price difference between a jet ski and an inflatable?

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »
Used you can pick one up for around 4K that is about 4 years old.  A newer one can be about 14k or more.  There is a pair of 2001s for sale for 6400 in Sacramento. vs about 4K for a used soft bottom zodizc. 
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
Here is a link to a SB thread there is a sled in it.  It is a big sled there is a video later in the thread it is worth watching.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=76551&highlight=sled

Some of they guys in socal go out to the channel islands and past on ski's it could be good for hitting hard to get at spots up north soon.  taking off out of albion and heading south of navarro there is a big stretch of coast that is never dove between navarro and elk.

Should be sone nice abs there
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 10:17:50 AM »
Here is a pair for 2500 on craigslist.  Someone buy them and I will ride your second to make sure you are safe you should alwayse dive in pairs. :toothy10:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1778009569.html
Myrel C. Willeford

Sebastes

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
Check the local regs but I have been told that PWC are not allowed in Mendocino county on the ocean.  Seems silly but I have not seen one used here in the last 2 years

Dave
BTW the ocean is really flat today   :sign17:

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 03:47:00 AM »
There is a federal bann in national parks they banned tow in at ghost tree.  cali calls PWC's a boat and they have to obey the same rules.  Any other laws out there anyone knows of?
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
 One other issue I see with this idea is that jet skis/ waverunners operate with a jet style propultion meaning that water is forced through a small hole and projected out of the back kinda like a vaccume. That being said the ocean has a lot of particulate matter and large objects floating around like loose kelp, Drift wood, and many other forms of debris which can become lodged in the propultion system. I had a conversation with a petaluma fire chief who uses a zodiac type boat that is propelled in the same fashion he told me that it was a pain to deal with because weeds and debris become stuck and its a pricey fix if you dont know what your doing. Just make sure and do your research before making a purchase. I know ive seen coast guard at fisk on wave runners and im sure they have this problem aswell. Hope this helps guys be safe out there.
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt