collapse

Author Topic: A handy link to public access to sea ranch  (Read 2714 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
A handy link to public access to sea ranch
« on: June 28, 2009, 07:16:40 PM »
A handy link to public access to sea ranch.

http://www.sonoma-county.org/parks/PK_SRNCH.HTM
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

echinoderminator

Re: A handy link to public access to sea ranch
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »
There is one thing in Sea Ranch that bothers me and that is the Sea Ranch Lodge not allowing diving or fishing from their public access at Black Point. I love to dive Black Point and I feel they don't have the authority to allow access but deny fish and diving. My friend was ticketed years ago for it and they confiscated his abs. He fought it in court for a bit then backed out. I recall hearing about someone else fighting it and I wonder how that went or is going. Does anyone know about that?

Offline Kaveh

• the ocean and I get along just fine
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:22:43 AM »
hmm.. that IS an interesting point because my understanding was that NO ONE privately owns the water.. and in this case, F&G would be the ones putting restrictions on diving certain coves, not private owners. its interesting to find out that this had problems in the courts.. i wonder if there was anything more to this
diving the edible ocean since '99

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »
I have been trying to get in touch with someone at the Coastal Commission and I plan to get all the scoop on the laws regarding Sea Ranch and the public access. I spoke with someone at the Sea Ranch Association and she didn't seem to know anything about the laws other than "stay on the trails."

I understand there is a bluff trail that runs from the south and I intend to find out who owns the land directly to the west of the trail. In other words, if we walk west of the Bluff Trail, can Sea Ranch ticket us?

I think in the wake of the MLPA closure at Horseshoe and Fisk Mill, it's time for the state to increase both parking and trail access at Sea Ranch.

The Sea Ranch access was used by IPA supporters as a reason to close Fisk Mill/Horseshoe instead, but the reality is that the public access at Sea Ranch pales in comparison to the access at Horseshoe/Fisk Mill.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 01:34:40 PM by Malibu_Two »

Offline el_pedorro

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:33:11 PM »
...other than "stay on the trails."

My understanding of their policy is that as long as you confine your entry and exit to the public access beach north of Black Point, you're allowed to take abs and fish. If you go off the clearly marked trail to find another entry, they'll get you.

...the public access at Sea Ranch pales in comparison to the access at Horseshoe/Fisk Mill.

Ain't that the truth. Currently, with Walk On being closed, there are only 4 public access parking lots for diving, and two of 'em (Shell Beach is one) only have 4 parking spots. In the near future we might have to be waiting in line on Highway One as the sun comes up to get a chance to dive Sea Ranch.

echinoderminator

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:15:57 AM »
can anyone tell exactly where the mlpa line will be drawn in regards to Sea Ranch? The map is hard to read but it appears to cut into south Sea Ranch just a bit - that is some of my favorite diving with very limited access.

Offline el_pedorro

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 07:54:30 AM »
If I had access to the area south of Black Point I could (hint...hint). The DFG site calls it out at: 38 degrees 40.5 minutes North latitude.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:10:26 AM by el_pedorro »

Offline Kaveh

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
when you say fisk mill cove, you arent actually talking about fisk mill cove are you? or the cove just one highway turnout north (the long walk aka red barn)?  my understanding was that diving sucked at fisk mill.. large undercurrent and most abs fished out.. is it a rockpicking area instead? or do you all use kayaks there?

i would love to dive sea ranch again.. the last time i dove it back in august 2006 there was almost 70' of vis and we launched some zodiacs out of timber cove to get there... it was amazing and i got some really nice abs.

echinoderminator

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 10:34:33 AM »
If I had access to the area south of Black Point I could (hint...hint). The DFG site calls it out at: 38 degrees 40.5 minutes North latitude.

That would be just fricking north of some of my favorite haunts. Here is a link to that location:

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=12224&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2002

Offline el_pedorro

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:16:09 PM »
I wouldn't use the California Coastal Records for pinpointing the latitude. I found it was off by several hundred yards on the southern boundary of the Stewarts Point SMR.

Walk the coastline with a GPS.

echinoderminator

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »
I wouldn't use the California Coastal Records for pinpointing the latitude. I found it was off by several hundred yards on the southern boundary of the Stewarts Point SMR.

Walk the coastline with a GPS.

Good point - gps will be a good tool for all this stuff. google earth has that coordinate right at the old barn overlooking what I call Black Point Cove. Interesting. They will most likely have a nice big plaque right there.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:40:49 PM by echinoderminator »

Offline Kaveh

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 02:41:08 PM »
hmm...interesting.. so these public access roads.. is this merely a road we can access the beach with and park at/along? is there a staging area at the end? or do we need to drive down it, drop our stuff off and then park on the highway?

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 09:23:19 PM »
The public access at Sea Ranch is a joke. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

There are 5 access points. At each access point, there are between 3 and 6 parking spaces, roughly.

From the access points, you have to hike to the water, 1/4 mile to 1 mile away, roughly.

You MUST stay on the designated trails. If you don't, you are trespassing, and can be ticketed by the vigilant Sea Ranch private security.

Once you reach the water, you can only enter the water by staying on the trail. If you look up the coast 1/2 mile and say "Wow, I want to dive by that juicy cove up there," you CANNOT walk up the shore to get there. You have to get in the water, and SWIM to that cove, then SWIM back when you are done. If you do otherwise, you are trespassing.

That is lousy public access. I have spoken with both the Sea Ranch Association and the Coastal Commission about this in the past week. The Coastal Commission isn't happy about the situation and their hands are tied. With the recent adoption of the NCC MLPA, a lot of divers from Fisk Mill and Horseshoe will be displaced, and unless Sea Ranch increases the access, the areas to the South of Fisk Mill will get hammered.

The lousy public access at Sea Ranch was used as an argument to close Fisk Mill/Horseshoe instead because the access at SR is supposedly so great. These two letters were written by famous celebrity diver Jack Likins:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/comments/jl_031208.pdf
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/comments/jl_012108.pdf

I don't know what Mr. Likins' agenda was, but the access as Sea Ranch sucks sucks sucks compared to the 2 wide open miles of parking and trails at Fisk Mill/Horseshoe.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:46:57 PM by Malibu_Two »

Offline el_pedorro

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 07:04:10 AM »
I don't know what Mr. Likins' agenda was, but the access as Sea Ranch sucks sucks sucks compared to the 2 wide open miles of parking and trails at Fisk Mill/Horseshoe.

He's a trophy ab diver, and Sea Ranch is renown for big abs.

jacklikins

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 07:08:21 AM »
Yeah, I know who he is. But it seems to me he was trying to protect a honey hole by selling out the rest of us.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt