collapse

Author Topic: Grilled Abalone + Fruit Skewers w/ Bobby Flay  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Julian

Grilled Abalone + Fruit Skewers w/ Bobby Flay
« on: May 26, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »
Hey guys thought I'd pass this along. 

My buddy Geoff dug this up during the end of last season, tried it out a couple times and swears by it.  I havent gotten around to trying it out myself but I think I'll do the next one and see how it stacks up against the Ab Cordon Bleu (might be my favorite non-fry recipe so far)

Enjoy

Grilled Abalone-Food Network

Ingredients

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sherry
1/2 cup mango juice
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
16 (1-ounce) abalone steaks
2 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
8 ounces pineapple, cubed
8 ounces pears, cubed
8 ounces peaches, cubed
Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes

Directions

Mix soy sauce, sherry, mango juice, vinegar, mustard, ginger, and garlic together in a bowl. Reserve 1/3 of the mixture for a glaze. Put abalone steaks in a shallow baking dish, pour marinade over. Marinate the steaks for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate covered up to 4 hours.

Preheat an outdoor grill to high heat.

Put the reserved marinade in a saucepan, whisk in the brown sugar and cornstarch. Simmer over low heat until marinade thickens to create a glaze. Set side but keep warm.

Place 2 skewers about 2 inches apart on your work surface. Weave the marinated abalone steaks onto the skewers so that the steaks will lie flat on the grill. Alternate with fruit pieces between the steaks. Each double skewer will hold 2 to 3 steaks plus fruit.

Grill over high heat until abalone is cooked, about 1 minute per side. Brush the fruit with the glaze and serve immediately.

(link)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bbq-with-bobby-flay/grilled-abalone-steak-and-fruit-skewers-recipe/index.html

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
Re: Grilled Abalone + Fruit Skewers w/ Bobby Flay
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »
Don't want to offend anyone but, who can YUPPIE STYLE! He kept saying Cali style! My idea of Cali style is, dive for it your self. The recipe sounds good though, I'll try it next weekend
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline Julian

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
Don't want to offend anyone but, who can YUPPIE STYLE! He kept saying Cali style! My idea of Cali style is, dive for it your self.

lol Yeah Flay doesnt get down like that...thats more Ramsay's style.  He used to dive for scallops and crab on his show "the F word" and cook them right when he got back to shore.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
"Dive for it and you  will end up in jail"  yea if you dive in that guys abolone farm lol.  they should have taken Bobby out and made him get his own and then he would really  love it.

Offline Geoffrey

• Carpe de Carp ~ Latin ~ "Seize the Fish"
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:46 AM »
Don't want to offend anyone but, who can YUPPIE STYLE! He kept saying Cali style! My idea of Cali style is, dive for it your self. The recipe sounds good though, I'll try it next weekend

Flay is a good cook, but lacks the hunter gatherer gene. We, my NCUH friends, don't have that problem :) I don't think this is actually Flay's recipe either... but I might be wrong.
 @ at Stacey, when the Ab is done marinating, add about a 1/4 of brown sugar to the marinade and reduce it in a saucepan for about 15-20 mins until i thickens into a syrup. When the Ab-kabobs are done, drizzle it very litely over the whole plate. It doesn't take much and adds alot of flavor! Oh, and use thick pieces of tenderized ab. Thin pieces cook too fast and are done before the fruit is. I'd use metal skewers too.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:09:10 PM »
Thanks Geoffrey sounds good.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:47:38 PM »
I wonder if I can cut a real abalone that small. ;) sounds interesting.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:10:04 PM »

I was thinking the same thing...the recipe sounds awesome, but eating farm-raised abalone with a bunch of ignorant yuppies looks awful!

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 07:30:56 AM »
I have done a different version on this. You can skip the skewers by just doing the traditional steaks, tender rise as normal, marinade as suggested and just toss the steaks right on the hot grill, flip the steaks at least twice as you watch to judge when cooked. And, you can still cook the fruit and veggies on a skewer on the side as a kabob to your liking this way.  I have found that the abalone cooks faster than fruit and veggie kabobs, thus the reason for cooking separate.     

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 10:30:56 AM »
"Dive for it and you  will end up in jail"  yea if you dive in that guys abolone farm lol.  they should have taken Bobby out and made him get his own and then he would really  love it.

LOL  :laughing7:

Offline Julian

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »
Gave it a shot last week. 

Very tasty recipe....but personally I didnt really think it was worth the time/effort and prep. 

Between getting and dicing up your fruit, making the marinade and reducing the glaze, tenderizing your ab and marinating it, skewering everything together, finally cooking them, brushing on the glaze, and taking everything back off the skewers to eat....it can be a bit of an ordeal.

Cordon Bleu's still gotta be my favorite non-fry recipe.

Offline Geoffrey

• Carpe de Carp ~ Latin ~ "Seize the Fish"
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »
Gave it a shot last week. 

Very tasty recipe....but personally I didnt really think it was worth the time/effort and prep. 

Between getting and dicing up your fruit, making the marinade and reducing the glaze, tenderizing your ab and marinating it, skewering everything together, finally cooking them, brushing on the glaze, and taking everything back off the skewers to eat....it can be a bit of an ordeal.

Cordon Bleu's still gotta be my favorite non-fry recipe.

I made the Cordon Bleu for dinner last night and might I say, it was AMAZING!!! It was so rich in flavor!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt