collapse

Author Topic: What type of scuba gear are y'all using?  (Read 566 times)

Offline NC_Diver

What type of scuba gear are y'all using?
« on: May 22, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
I just joined up here and want to know what some of you are using for scuba gear.

I know many or most here are freedivers and freediving gear speaks for itself, but scuba gear is where things can get very intersting. Many very heated debates follow scuba gear discussions around like a big stink cloud. I think the reason for this is that scuba diving has become so divided into so many categories.
I'm still trying to find a home with my very exclusive style + gear selection which is so minimal that just the utter lack of gear amazes most people when they first see it (or don't see it). My style is having the speed and agility like freediving except you can breath underwater. It's known as minimalism.

I went from using a regular jacket BC when I first started, to going to a conventional BP/W to try some tech diving, and now finally to a completely stripped down retro old school configuration similar to when diving first started.
I make a backplate that I designed to have the look, feel and performance of an old school back pack, or in some cases I use just a strap harness on a tank with no BC and the tank rests directly on my back.
For regs I use a Scubapro with just one single 2nd stage and an SPG for my modern setup, and/or lately I have gotten into vintage diving and I'll use an Aqualung DA Aquamaster double hose regulator. I'll use that with a J-valve/rod on an LP 72 (no place to put an SPG).

So what do you guys use?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:28:43 PM by NC_Diver »

Red Abalone Diving

Re: What type of scuba gear are y'all using?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »
Keep it the scuba gear to minimalism if you number 1 interest is game collecting or hunting. Free diving is the first love, but there time I put on the old compressed air rig.  I do get a kick out of them tech divers, man its like they, techno divers, are trying to see just how much funk they can clip on. However if that s what floats your boat, techno diving, then more power to you. Dive gear: Scubapro regs, black hawk B.C. with intrigued air source regulator/power inflate-less drag than octopus setup (owned a black diamond nice BC, but to much drag) an Oceanic pro deco meter for the s.p.g., jet fins for scuba diving open heel, low volume mask (black skirted to channel light in) a rubber snorkel (rubber flex's-a must for diving in kelp) knife, and if you really think about it, the proper equipped diver for cold water diving is vastly equipped different than a diver for tropical, stream lining is the key because of the extreme cold and kelp. Rigged to dive this way only requires little change to free dive- loose the scuba rig add a proper weighted weight belt for free diving and a abalone iron and am set. However I do loose the open heel fins and shift to waterways free diving fins, No. 2 blades for free diving, personal choice there.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:33:18 AM by Red Abalone Diving »

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:34:16 PM »
I use a standard bc style jacket with a aqua lung legend set up with a hp 100, is what I use most of the time.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:17:08 PM »
I use an Oceanic Probe BC (integrated), an Atomic B1 Regulator. Absolutely love and recommend both. The Atomic is so light that it feels like there is nothing in your hand while holding the second stage! It's all streamlined enough for me, I seem to have absolutely no problems with maneuverability, speed or penetrating holes and crevices. Besides, on SCUBA, you just can't and shouldn't be in a hurry, unless you don't care about getting good bottom times and as a hunter that is vital to the hunt. Quite a few times I've scored something big on the last minute of my dive!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline winklecl

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »
I have a ScubaPro set up (knighthawk bc, S600 reg and MK17 1st stage) that has been absolutely rock solid for me. I would recommend to anyone. Plus ScubaPro service has been fantastic. I orginally had an X650 reg that when it was serviced (after 3 years of use  :nono: "I'm a bad little boy") started to leak a small amount for some unknown reason. ScubaPro said that was common problem with that model and switched it out for the S600 no questions asked at their dealer! Walked in with old, came out with new! Can't ask for better!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt