collapse

Author Topic: Cen Cal web site info.  (Read 1384 times)

Online MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Cen Cal web site info.
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:34:10 PM »
I thought I would post this for the rest of you  just incase you have not heard about Cen Cal or what they are about.

About CenCal

The Central California Council of Diving Clubs, Inc. is better known as CenCal. It is a diver membership organization based on the diver to club to council to national to world idea. There are about 40 clubs in CenCal whose territory covers Oregon to Nevada to San Luis Obispo County. The premise is from 1862: "united we stand, divided we fall." CenCal's motto is "United for Better Diving."
CenCal represents divers in northern and central California. What's it good for? It's good for Access -

Ever dive Carmel River Beach? The Monterey Land Use Plan wanted to ban divers from crossing the beach except at either end. Constant and persistent CenCal testimony to the Coastal Commission prevented access restriction.

Ever dive Fort Ross? CenCal kept the Park open early for divers when Parks and Rec wanted to open at 10 am.

Ever dive Lovers Point Cove? The City of Pacific Grove passed an ordinance preventing diving in the Cove for five months each year. CenCal initiated successful litigation to prevent total closure.

Ever dive Stillwater Cove on the 17 Mile Drive? You can thank CenCal for collecting the usage data and being persistent before the Coastal Commission. The result was not only access but bathrooms, parking and a pier. Issues at 17 Mile Drive are continuous.

Ever dive Monastery Beach? Again the Monterey Land Use Plan would have closed all parking or built parking on the far side of the highway - sometime. CenCal kept the parking open and is still working with Parks and Recreation on better and safer parking.

Ever Want to Dive the Farallons? Well maybe not, but you can if you want because CenCal worked when a nine mile closure was planned.

Its good for information: Ever get a ticket for your inflatable boat? Some years ago the Coast Guard began ticketing - with every right - inflatable boats for many irregularities. CenCal got all the regulations on paper, created a pamphlet and sent it to all stores selling inflatables, all dive stores, all dive clubs, so boat owners now know! Pamphlets are available on request.

CenCal has produced informational pamphlets on diving Stillwater, Lovers Cove and inflatable boat regulations. These are free and always available.

Current access issues concern the 17 Mile Drive, Monterey and San Simeon.

It is good for regional diving activities: CenCal purchases insurance yearly which allows diving tournaments, educational events, u/w hockey games and so on. CenCal Committees could purchase insurance to hold these events, but the cost would be prohibitive. The same is true for the clubs, and clubs holding special events may 'ride' on CenCal's insurance policy. For details, cost and information, contact the Council.

It's good for Marine Resources: Some issues cover both access and marine ecology: There was concern over access and inflatable boating in the New Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. The boating issue is solved, and a diver now sits on the new Sanctuary Advisory Committee.

CenCal worked for the Prop 132 Reserve Initiative. This initiative banned inshore gill nets in Southern California and provided for four reserves. After a bad bounce from the Attorney General, CenCal worked and achieved locations for the new reserves that have little impact on recreational diving.

On the Marine Resources front, its good for abalone.

CenCal collected thousands of signatures opposing any commercial abalone fishery on the north coast. There is now a law preventing such a fishery! CenCal sits on the DFG Recreational Abalone Advisory Committee working to solve problems. CenCal did not give up hope of an Abalone Stamp to provide funds for enforcement and research for abalone.

In 1997 CenCal worked tirelessly to gain passage of SB 463 which provided for the Abalone Stamp, closed recreational and commercial abalone harvest south of the Golden Gate Bridge (including off shore Islands) and provided for recovery of the abalone resource. The Measure passed and was signed by the Governor!

And for halibut - halibut were under great pressure, and CenCal provided expertise at meetings to change the "experimental" halibut fishery that was demolishing the fish population, tearing up the bottom and wasting incredible amounts of "incidental catch."

No one opposes sea otters, but CenCal has worked to keep a balanced perspective on the furry critters and supports zonal management.

Even dive for lobster? CenCal works with the other three California Councils on issues to benefit divers. Lobster season now opens a little earlier for divers.

Nearshore long lining was a hot issue, and proposed legislative action was passed and signed with support and testimony by the council. The current issue is the declining rockfish populations.

And it's good for sensible laws: Divers do not have to "carry their fishing licenses on their person" as a result of a law the councils initiated.

It's good for divers who want underwater photography contests, for free divers who want competition, for u/w hockey players who want to go to world championships. CenCal has all these activities under its umbrella too. These activities are entirely self supporting without benefit from Cen Cal income which is mainly from dues.

It's good for information: main contact with members and others is through the newsletter, Odyssey ,issued six times a year to keep divers informed of the California diving world with some information on the nation and the world. The rules and regulations for Stillwater, Lovers and inflatables and information on abalone regulations are printed annually in the newsletter.

It's good for education: CenCal also has an annual Marine Science Scholarship. A $500 Grant is given to a worthy California diving college student each year.

And for Diver Education - CenCal has hosted a "Warden's Night" to discuss and explain Department of Fish and Game regulations. CenCal Free Diving Seminars proved very popular with all divers. New in 1999 was the CenCal Divers Day Educational Forum; this is an annual, all day forum held in March.

CenCal provides an annual Tide Table for each member.

It's good for dive clubs: CenCal works for divers and marine resources, but there are benefits for dive clubs too. An annual "Where the Clubs Meet and When" is printed and distributed to those looking for a dive club. CenCal believes club diving is safe diving. CenCal has a booth the local Dive Show where dive clubs may have their promotional material available for handout.

If it sounds as if CenCal is a busy organization, it is. Keeping up with the legislature, Fish and Game, Parks & Recreation, Monterey Bay Sanctuary, Pacific Grove, the Coastal Commission, etc. is a full time job, and it is managed by all volunteers. More bodies are always welcome and needed. It takes a lot of work to be wary and beware.

And That's CenCal and What It Does for Divers....
Here is a link to there web page.

http://www.cencalspearfishing.org/Default.aspx
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Dino222

Re: Cen Cal web site info.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »
Are you going to get our club up on there ?
Dino Spadoni

rangair94

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »
I think we fall under NorCal.

Online MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
Dinno we are not an official club ! we area on line dive forum, If some one wants to step up and take on the extra work of collecting dues, file the proper papers with the county and state for non profit tax status and then we need some one to keep records and then we will have to file taxes at the end of each year, waivers and liability issues just seams like to much work but if some one or a group of you would like to step up feel free I am to bizzy with work family and diving to do it.

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 03:17:46 PM »
Well, the users of NCUH are not really members of a club. Best described; we are users of web based forum. And, the success of NCUH is owed to a great deal because the user are not members for the most part a club.  A club holds elections to have a president and other officers. All positions and direction in club must be brought before the membership, motioned and voted upon. Thus, clubs may or may not have political agendas.

Personally, this the precise reason why I chose UCUH to discriminate relevant recreational abalone information to "you" the users of Norcal underwater hunters. The users of this forum can be anyone and therefore is free of agenda's and positions.

Second, once a club transfers their "flag" per say under an organization to such a function that Cencal is: any club that does so loses it's independence and is therefore subjective to direction of the membership and officers of that organization an organization whom may or may not share your perspectives.  It is like kind of like asking, you should know whom the make up of the main body is and whom are they affiliated with: for example are they more bubble blowers and are these bubble blowers more hunting or more MLPAI orientated or has the leadership and direction changed to new directions, directions that perhaps do not represent your interest. Yes, a look into the history, the make up of the main body and the resent shift of perspectives and why change of officers may of happened and whom left and the reasons for doing so before acting upon should all be considered before joining a club.

NCUH is independent and this and can be a very good thing.   

Online MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »
That was the way it was inteneded to be Bill. An open forum for all veiws of diving ! weather I agree or disagree or all of you agrtee or disagree for that matter ! Freedome of the divers to speak there mind !

Offline Dino222

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »
Well that works for me. I'm like you Matt, only so many hours in the day to dive, work and hang with the family  :occasion14:
Dino Spadoni

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »
That was the way it was inteneded to be Bill. An open forum for all veiws of diving ! weather I agree or disagree or all of you agrtee or disagree for that matter ! Freedome of the divers to speak there mind !

Agreed! freedom and expression and that the way I will always help to keep it, free and independent.

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 04:59:15 PM »
I agree this forum is best left as what it is.

But what is our organization?  Who represents us at MLPAI and such?  Is it SCAN?  CenCal?  Both?  If there's a "Northern California Underwater Hunters Club" that we should all be members of (in order to back our representatives) I'd really like to know what that is.  Do we "need" such a club to participate in CenCal?  Is there already one that I just don't know about?

Would really love some clarity - and would really love to support the people working hard with the MLPAI on my behalf.
Ken Goudey

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 05:13:21 PM »
I will of tackle this one. Brandi Easter and Dave Wright (yak abalone diver/fisherman) are appointed representatives and others are representing the recreational diving interest in the NC MLPAI process. I was the recreational abalone diving interest for the NCC MLPAI process. Brandi weighs in and updates the user on this forum about the MLPAI process and the going on with that process. Thus far I think Brandi and Dave are doing a good job with that process.

We, the users of NCUH are not a club nor I think we should be either. It is our independence and open forum that makes this site special.  However know Brandi and Dave, do support Brandi and Dave as much as possible, they have a huge and a hard job to do and what ever becomes of the NC process I know they will have given it their all to secure the best possible outcome. 

Online MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
I agree this forum is best left as what it is.

But what is our organization?  Who represents us at MLPAI and such?  Is it SCAN?  CenCal?  Both?  If there's a "Northern California Underwater Hunters Club" that we should all be members of (in order to back our representatives) I'd really like to know what that is.  Do we "need" such a club to participate in CenCal?  Is there already one that I just don't know about?

Would really love some clarity - and would really love to support the people working hard with the MLPAI on my behalf.

S.C.A.N = Sonoma county abalone network, and                     RFA = Recreational Fishing Alliance also there is Bill Bernard AKA Red Abalone diving on the board those are the one I know about on the front lines for us divers with the MLPA and help with The ARMP, with the TAC with DFG. I would suggest checking into those resources. As you can see we are a big supporter of Scan as well as all the other agencies and individuals helping us divers. Hope this helps.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt