collapse

Author Topic: Crazy Idea for an Ab Comp  (Read 1306 times)

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
Crazy Idea for an Ab Comp
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
I like to think I entertain a fair amount of crazy if not down right bad ideas, anyway, here's one. How about a Big ab comp with no wetsuits or fins, maybe even a division without ab irons, otter picking only. Sure it would be cold and downright dangerous for those who don't have experience swimming in the ocean without a wetsuit, but I guess that's the point, it's for bad ass mother b****es. I imagine I may be the only competitor in this comp, at least the first one, but I figure that assures me the first place trophy (Don't think I'm above awarding myself a trophy for winning a competition without competitors). Does anyone one else think this might be an enjoyable and sadomasichistic way to spend an afternoon? Remember, I'm not reccomending this be your first swim without a suit in the ocean.

Make a friend of pain and you will never be alone.
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Calif_Diver

Re: Crazy Idea for an Ab Comp
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:29:25 AM »
Ill definatley pass on that one,unless i can wear one of these :ky:>that wouldnt beconsidered a wet suit would it? All i know is i wouldnt be able to find my twig n berries for a month after a dive with no wetsuit. :toothy9:

Offline rafterman

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:35:37 AM »
perfect for a jack ass film. 
Do what You want to do…

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:14:19 AM »
I think you'll be the sole competitor and therefore the winner of this comp!

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »
I'm already training to swim from Alcatraz and so i figure an Ab comp doesn't seem all that more challenging. It is true your twig and berries shrink to near pre-pubescent sizes, magnifying glasses are generally kept ashore for when this happens. People do swim the English Channel and that requires being in 50 degree water for over 10 hours. So come on let's get wet.

And yes :ky: are cheating
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »
That's a crazy competition but tempting.  I'll compete in the no fins ab snatching comp.
Not crazy enough to go without a wet suit.
Alex L.

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 11:14:46 AM »
Just to make it interesting we could hold the comp at Tomales Point mid September.
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Glaucus

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 12:26:01 PM »
F the competition, but I'm down to try it with you in the fall.  I've always wanted to snag an ab w/o a suit, just a pair of fins.  Never thought about doing it without the fins!  I can't imagine staying down longer than 15 or 20 seconds.  I've done underwater breast stoke in Aquatic Park before and I know my breath hold is not very long in the cold water.

You swim at the Dolphin Club ever?  If not I highly recommend you check it out.  The members are super cool and that's all they do is swim w/o a suit.  My dad is turning 60 this year and will be doing Alcatraz in a speedo for his birthday!  You doing a swim only from Alcatraz (Sharkfest?) or a triathlon?   

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 01:47:07 PM »
I just joined the Dolphin Club last week. I've been swimming St AP every other day for about a month now, just got out a few hours ago. And yes the Dolphin Club rocks!!! Awesome people great facilities. Anyway I'm totally down to go when you are! It will be bad ass!!!
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline IceColdChuck

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »
And yes I'm going to do the Escape From Alcatraz Tri, the one that's only for Dolphins and South Enders. And dude your dad must be in great shape and just plain hardcore.
-Charlie

-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Glaucus

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 10:56:49 AM »
Nice!  I've always wanted to do that race (not a member of either club  :crybaby2: ).  You must be a pretty strong runner.  I've run the Dipsea a few times but the Double is just another ball of wax!

I don't know if I'd call the old man hardcore as much as hard-headed!  He's middle of the pack at best but can stand the cold like a champ.  In the winter I'm good for 45 minutes tops (and even at that my jaw is frozen solid for at least 20 minutes till I can talk), he can bust out over an hour and tells me he's cold but can speak perfectly and as lucid as when he got in.  His name is Joe Gannon, real nice guy.  The whole cold water swimming deal is a trip. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt