collapse

Author Topic: Diving with goggles?  (Read 1698 times)

Joe Mag

Diving with goggles?
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:52:56 PM »
has anyone ever tried diving with regular swimming goggles? the kind that don't cover your nose.

I know you cant go very deep with them because you would get too much mask squeeze but i normally stay around the 20ft. or less range when i ab dive anyway.  I'll go deeper if im spearfishing.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
Re: Diving with goggles?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
don't even try it, very dangerous!

yakfisher

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:18:12 PM »
You can't equalize and your face would get cold.

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:03:44 PM »
Dive too deep and you'll end up with black eyes.
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:16:23 PM »
guesss that's a big no
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 03:25:51 PM »
Your eyes do not have pain censers for the squeeze pressure and the damage will be done and you will not even feel it.

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 06:26:26 PM »
I was told your eyes could get squeezed and blow some blood vessels.  So not only are you left with a black outside but also a red eye.  Like the guys say, seems like a bad idea.
Alex L.

Glaucus

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »
We mess around in the dive pool with googles on, that's 12'.  I don't see why you'd want to though. 

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Well if you are one of those guys that can blow smoke out the corner of your eyes you might be able to equlize them.

If not I would just go out and buy a mask, it will give you a better field of view.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 12:36:33 AM »
Ken Goudey

Offline rafterman

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »
I follow your link; liquivision to find this guy is a world record holder and provides a new way for equalizing (well new to me), down load PDF it goes into clear details how to equalize his way... the Frenzel-Fattah equalizing workshop is good stuff.
Do what You want to do…

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
Rafterman, that's what we learned at the Equalization talk.  Supposedly, you practice and one day you'll achieve equalization with this new method.  I equate it to underwater enlightenment allowing you to go achieve depths never thought of. 
Alex L.

Joe Mag

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »
i was actually thinking more along the lines of these goggles. I actually have the mask version of these goggles. lowest volume mask ive ever found. but my face is too fat and i have a problem with water leaking in around my nose when i go to equalize.

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 08:54:09 PM »
simplify, triing to get all these new and great gadgets is only gonna make you try harder than you need to. unless your open water spearfishing down south or back east in warmer water theres no need to hit 50 feet. you can find the same fish and abs in 10 - 20 feet of water as you find in the deeper waters. if you want to achieve more just relax and get in the water as often as possible. its a proven fact that the more you do something the better you will get. then once you have gotten real comfy in the water start triing new equiptment. just having the stuff isnt gonna make that much diffrence.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 09:45:43 AM »
I agree with Brandon, equipment mighht be a little more comfy, but if you aren't comfy in the water then all that cool new eq. isn't going to help.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt