collapse

Author Topic: Bottom time  (Read 3068 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Bottom time
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 04:26:16 PM »
Simple Time in the Water !
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »
time in the water but you also need to push yourself a little each time
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 08:33:40 PM »
Get your mind set in tune with your goal as well, but know your limitations. If your going to practice, make sure you have buddy watching. Safety in numbers.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Glaucus

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 11:27:34 AM »
Yeah, a lot of us have quite a bit of time in the water, but what's going to make this year different from all the rest?  Stacy is right, dive with a buddy, but not just for safety.  What I'd like is a buddy that can help me hit my goals while he makes sure I make it back to shore without a toe tag.

Diving is VERY individual, because only you know how your body feels.  However, it's a lot easier for a buddy to tell you if you're duck dive is off, or you're not going straight down or... the list goes on and on.

But yes, if you don't put the time in, as with anything else, you wont see progress.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 12:17:41 PM »
  You are both right and I have proof...Last season I started as a 10-15' diver max and because of the buddys I had I have become much more comfortable at moderate depth. Im not saying I have the best bottom time or even the deepest dives but I consider myself to be a more well rounded diver going into this season. The knowlege I have gained and the push from good friends and dive buddys has dramaticly changed my prespective in the water I have gained bottom time aswell as depth and comfort. This season I strive to smooth out the rough edges and expand my skill even further. I dont know if I will hit 60' or even a 2 min dive but what I do know is that I will be takeing advice from this thread and I will try and be more graceful and smooth in the water to make sure to not burn my energy or my oxagen too quickly.
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

rangair94

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 02:54:37 PM »
Its up to yourself to make this year different. If your goal is not to increase your dive time, you are not going to. I can't speak for everyone on this board, but most everyone I know is always looking to improve. Diving is one of those things that you can always improve on. Even if you are trying or not. Every time you dive you get that much more comfortable in the water, in turn slowing you consumption of oxygen, and allowing you to stay under longer. 

If you are looking for someone to lay out a plan for you to improve your dive time. I don't think it can be done by anyone on this board. Everyone is going to improve differently. I don't think anyone here is knowledgeable enough to asses and critique anyone elses technique, aside from the physical form of diving. Its up to the diver to figure out what works for them. You might try a website focused more on freediving like deeperblue.com. In my opinion the only way you are going to improve is time in the water. Its like training for war no matter what kind of training you do it wont compare to the real thing.

Glaucus

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 03:45:35 PM »
Yes, clearly I'm on the wrong website...   I have competed in various endurance and technique sports all my life and have had many extremely helpful peers.  Guess I'm barking up the wrong tree on here though, no worries.   :wave:

Jason, keep up the good work!  Make sure you go to the clinic at Bamboo Reef, there was some great info and was just plain interesting on top of that. 

Glaucus

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 11:24:40 AM »
Conditions definately play a huge part in my dive times. on my last dive in carmel we had some of the greatest conditioins ive ever goten down there.  Now my usual dive times were about 40sec. This day logging with my immersion prowler dive computer I was hitting 2 min. plus.  Longest was 2:16.  Couldnt believe it.  I would just cruise to the bottom and using my hands poull myself along the rocks.  Hope the next dive goes anywhere near that one. :icon_thumright:

Damn Kai, that must feel like you're down there forever!  Were you using any new techniques or anything else that would account for so much more bottom time?  That's a huge breakthrough! 

Offline Dino222

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »
Nice going Kai
I'm about like you with around 40 sec avg. and want to get to 2 min. So what was your secret ?
Dino Spadoni

Kai Kane

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 10:09:10 AM »
That Day I had already gotten some good fish, so I was basically swimming around and trying to work on technique. 

My routine was;
Relax on the the top totally static for about 60 sec.
Then do 4-5 breathe ups totally exhaling on two of them
relax again for a few seconds and then take 2 large breaths
trying to work on form I would bring my body out of the water as much as I could and dive down letting my body wheight take me down, with a few kicks.

once on the bottom just really trying to conserve my energy and using my hands more than my legs seemed to help alot.

after coming back up I try to stay up just as long or longer than I was down and do it all over again.

Really working on my breath ups made the real difference and relaxing my body.

Hope that could help someone break there times! :headbang:

scubastern

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 09:04:59 PM »
I have never timed myself on coldwater dives but have free'd a stuck anchor at 65' in tropical temp water. Also, just to see, I was able to breath hold at the bottom of a pool for 4:20 after extended prebreathing. My wife timed me from the pool bar and had a fair crowd of spectators by the time I came up (brain damage jokes were rampant :tongue3:). Of course I wouldn't be able to pull close to that while actively freediving.

Offline Lokumoto

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »
Lots of time in the water with out of water training helps me. I have severe asthma, and practicing my technique out of water has helped me a lot over that last few years.

aquaman

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 11:09:26 PM »
Try out underwater hockey if there is a club near you http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=1696.0

Diving is the best training for diving, but most of us can't dive enough times during the week to use diving as the only means of training.  Pool work is good, but only if you have a partner because pushing yourself under water will likely lead to a blackout at some point.  I blacked out during a freediving class I took from freedivers.net. When it happened I was clipped into a line and i had 2 safety divers watching me.  My blackout only lasted a few seconds before they had me awake again.  But it drove home the point that it is not safe to train solo underwater.  Thats the upside to Underwater hockey you have 6-12 other guys in the pool with you and you are all doing underwater training. 

If you cant do breathold work in a pool because you can't find a partner you can do it on dry land with very good results.  My friend lives in Sac. and can't get to the coast as often as he would like.  He does dry land breatholds and has a 2:30 diving breathold on good days.  He can easily hunt past 60 feet in norcal and has shot a fish past 100 feet in warm water.  I think it is still important to swim laps with fins to fine tune you fin stroke.  If you search apnea tables on deep blue you will find a good place to start.  I am not disciplined enough to do apnea tables, but when I was swimming a lot I had the breatholds and depths that you are looking to achieve.  They are obtainable by the average guy.  It is just a frame of mind.  Think about it this way: the competitive feedivers are doing over 100 M (328 feet) with a mono fin!  But then there isn't really any reason to dive deeper then 20 feet in norcal, except for the novelty of it.

Train safe
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:13:46 PM by aquaman »

Offline AB MAN

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
I have a D3 freedive watch and typically dive 45-60 sec at depths just past 40'.....sounds pretty average for the group.

Good for abs, but I'd like to increase bottom time for hunting fish. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt