collapse

Author Topic: Tomales Point  (Read 3324 times)

skicat7

Re: Tomales Point
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »
Here's my 2 cents, I picked off the point many moons ago before my bro convinced me that real people swim for abs.  There were good numbers but not good size. Back when Lawson Landing was in its prime, people would cross the bay and hike over the hill to pick.

My mind set on the care taker.  More for me than anything else.  I don't worry about him.  He can be there or close at any time.  Before I swim I sit on the beach or rock and listen to the locals.  If the birds or seals are acting "funny" or fighting for rock space high off the swell, I listen and go home to try again later. Most of my trips are multiple days with camping so I can afford a day off if things don't look good Harvesting isn't that important as we can feel it is.  A boat shop owner in Sabastipul once told me, if the locals are swimming and goofing off then the odds that the care taker is away is good.  So swim with the seals, just protect your harvest cause they are always up for an easy meal at your expense.

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »
sorry it took me so long to post a report about my dive at tomales point but there was no report to post about. my uncle and step dad that talked such a big game about diving out there wouldnt even take the boat ride with me so i could dive it.so i decided to tango with budweiser insted and that is another story all together. oh well, im sure things work out for a reason.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:09:03 PM by Brandon Turknett »
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline norcalocal

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 11:29:31 PM »
I was told they tagged 71 individual GWS on the point last year.  The guy I heard it from is my brother who lives at Lawsons Landing, and he spoke with the scientific taggers directly.  However, I've been diving the point, and bird rock for the past 10 years without a GWS incident.

Abdvrob

Tomales Point
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 07:51:15 AM »
Lmao Brandon!! All that talk and didn't get in. Maybe next time brother

You can pull multiple limits of tens, won't catch my ass near Tomales, too scared.

Offline todd

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »
some guy got a 10 inch plus video of it last year at the rock just outside the bay enterence, lots of seals...spooky
Todd Stagnaro

Offline zzanolini

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »
Those angle sharks taste good  but they are hard to clean and you don't get much meat.

You took the words out my mouth. I catch them quite a bit halibut fishing. Be careful with angel sharks. They are very very snappy. More than seven gills and leaopard sharks. I was taking a picture with one one day holding it up with two hands about 8 inches to a foot under my chin when all of the sudden he reached his jaws out snapped so loud and fast. It sounded like someone clapped their hands under my chin. I could feel the wind on my throat from his jaws closing. My dad was speachless as he saw everything and i quickly threw him over the boat and decided i'll stick with halibut from now on

Offline Erin

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »
who here has seen a GSW in person?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »
I have with my dad diving about 15 to 20 years ago up at horse shoe cove.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
Well, I have never seen a GSW in person but I've dreamt of 3 of them taking my fish.  That's the closest I ever want to see one, in my unconscious. 

Famous quote "Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then..." 

you punch him in the eye   :toothy9:, that is of course after you fishing crapping in your suit  :bootyshake:
Alex L.

Abdvrob

Tomales Point
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 06:26:19 AM »
Haha, great quote from a great classic.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 07:15:02 AM »
Well, I have never seen a GSW in person but I've dreamt of 3 of them taking my fish.  That's the closest I ever want to see one, in my unconscious. 

Famous quote "Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then..." 

you punch him in the eye   :toothy9:, that is of course after you fishing crapping in your suit  :bootyshake:

Ya, and if punching him with your fist doesn't work, try beating him with your stump.  :laughing7:

Offline Badfish

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »
I have encountered four Landlords.  But all were seen while surfing in Santa Cruz and San Mateo counties.  Never while diving, thank God!

Offline Sactown syndrome

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 05:00:47 PM »
By far most of my diving is done there, and that's because it's where my step-dad introduced me to the sport during fishing & camping trips.  In the past we'd fish for 'buts, crab, and dig for clams, so I figured let's try this abalone diving.  I've never pulled a 10", but I keep going back.  If I ever see the landlord, I honestly don't know if I'd go in again.

Interesting story:

http://yourtown.pressdemocrat.com/2010/10/bodega-bay/great-white-shark-baiting-in-the-red-triangle/

After reading this article on-line last year, my buddies and I plan a dive over Thanksgiving weekend.  After launching our inflatable from Lawson's and heading towards the point on a calm, quiet, and cold morning, a boat passes us.  I take a quick glance at it and then return to my task of rearranging gear.  My brain tells me to look again, and I see the words, "Bodega Bay Marine Lab" on the side of the boat.  The boat reaches the point and heads south.  I begin to wonder if I should tell my buddies what I'm thinking.  We reach the point, and there is the boat offshore from our preferred diving beach.  We concentrate on where to anchor and begin to don our gear.  At this point I share my thoughts with my buddies.  We occasionally look at the crew and notice:  no fishing poles, no wetsuits, no crab traps:  These guys aren't fishing.  Then I see what I fear:  a bucket going overboard.  Chum - that's great.  We continue to gear-up, and next thing we know the boat has approached us.  One of the crew asks us if we're ab diving.  He then asks, "What about the sharks?"  I reply, "We kinda figured you're interested in them."  He informs us he is indeed a tagger and is getting reads on two sharks in the area.  We all kind of look at each other for a few seconds.  Then the guy adds, "You're probably OK where you are."  (We were in six feet of water.)
We end up diving for about an hour, and the vis was fantastic - maybe 20 ft which is one of the best days I've had.  No tens, probably because the refraction of light on the sides of my mask was causing my head to swivel and not concentrate on abs.  We all got nice fat abs, some 9's in the haul, but we all admitted we were a little on edge.  By the time we were done, the boat had left.

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »
Thank you for the eye witness account.

nainofteceide

Test, just a test
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »
Hello. And Bye.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt