collapse

Author Topic: Tomales Point  (Read 3321 times)

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
Tomales Point
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »
I am aware that Tomales point is a particularly well known Shark hot spot. That in mind Whites are migratory and seasonal animals. Psychologically it seems daunting, but statistically I understand it is fairly unlikely to be attacked outside the feeding season. Is it crazy to dive Tomales point outside of shark feeding season? Does anyone on here dive there? Comments?
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Tomales Point
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:16:21 PM »
nope I dont, I know guys that have and they say the ab are not any bigger, and do not be fooled the land lord is allways around just certain times there are more of them and more frequent. just my-2cents.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline winklecl

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »
The latest research says that the GWS does migrate...BUT how many have they actually tagged and which populations? How many are just sticking around and following local pinniped populations? Tomales is a well known "breeding ground" but I haven't seen any data to suggest that they have a defined breeding season. May be animals are stopping by all year long to kick out the kids and make new ones? There is enough danger and uncertainty in this sport, why add to it? 2 cents.

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »
I'm probably gonna try and dive it next weekend, we will be camped at Lawsins Landing so its nice and close. besides i have a couple tube floaters that will look like easy targets compared to me :laughing7: :laughing7:. at least i can say ive dove it once. im trying to dive as many new spots as i can. the old ones are getting worn out and its nice to spread it around a little. who knows i might even find a ten or two there cause everyone else is worried about the man in the gray suit.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

chadwtts

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:50:50 PM »
I talked to a biologist at the Bodega marine lab who is one of the divers that surveys and checks some of their underwater instruments about this subject and he said that we have some residents that don't leave the area and around the months of September the numbers greatly increase. The lab stops checking some of their instruments during that time. I also know that someone got bit in tomales bay water skiing when they lost the rope.  Plenty of other places for me to dive. The odds are in your favor, but it's not for me. 2 cents

Offline rafterman

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 06:53:50 PM »
Its a place that I would like to try also, i bet there some big ones out there...good lucks :icon_sunny:
Do what You want to do…

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
Like i said, ill try it once. Unless i find some big giant abs, then im sure i could talk you guys into diving there with me. :toothy5: dont even lie, if i pulled a limit of tens out of there you would be all over it saying  :sign5:

chadwtts

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:16 PM »
You got me there, brandon, but I'm a big p@ssy and I own and dive with a shark shield!  :crybaby2:

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:08:37 PM »
nope no ten's at Tomales, once in awhile some 9.5 but that just about it and to boot lots of clickers mixed in. the place is shark infested.

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »
I gotta try it once, you never know. have you dove there? or do you know someone who has?

Offline el_pedorro

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 09:36:44 PM »
I dove there for halibut with two others many years ago. We launched our paddle boards at Lawsons, and first looked for abs on the south side of the bay's entrance. They were all barely legal.

Then we paddled out to the 1st buoy that marks the bar at the mouth of Tomales, and rode the tide in, drifting just off the bottom. It was only about 17ft deep so we used some extra lead to stay neutral. We tethered our guns to our boards which were drifting overhead. Once the tide had swept us in past the 2nd buoy, we climbed back on our boards and headed back out to the 1st buoy in order to drift in again. We did that for a couple of hours.

All I saw were a couple of leopard sharks and one angel shark. The angel shark was lying in the sand pretending to be a halibut, so of course, being young and ignorant, I speared it.

One of the guys I was diving with, Frank Carly, speared a monster halibut. Frank was paddling a big old modified tandem surfboard and that fish overlapped its sides.

As we were paddling along the beach back to the landing, a crowd of kids and vacationers noticed the big bloody fish and started following along the shore.

"What do you think it weighs?" I asked Frank.

"Probably about...40 pounds", he replied.

When we got to the shore, the crowd parted and opened a path up to the big old fashioned scale they had at Lawsons, and when Frank lugged his halibut up to it and hung it on the hook, the dial swept up to and stopped at 40 pounds...on the nose.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »
Frank Carly was a true north coast legend and Icon and will forever be missed, Doug you were lucky to dive with him and meet him. Any who every thing I have heard is basically what Doug has said drift dives with the tide. I think I would rather go to monteray for my butts a little safer in more than one way.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Glaucus

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 09:58:02 PM »
That's a great story Doug.  I'd like to try that dive for butt's someday.

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:03:46 PM »
That is a great story and shows how dedicated you guys are.  Sounds like that kind of diving would have made me  :icon_puke_l: and then  :puke: some more.
Alex L.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 06:54:01 PM »
I have gotten some 8" abs at Tomales, if you go south from the point there is a large rock the size of a building, between the rock and the point there are some abs.
I have gotten some nice halibut doing the drift dive from the buoy like pedorro says.
Usually have one guy in the Zodiac fallowing the diver, mainly so the boats coming and going don't run you over.
Those angle sharks taste good  but they are hard to clean and you don't get much meat.
No shark bites yet.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt