collapse

Author Topic: Myths and bad information  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
Myths and bad information
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:06:43 PM »
You know we all have a story about some diving myth we followed until we learned better.  Lets help the new divers out by posting the No No list for divers.

Who knows we could save a life.

Never hyperventalate before you dive it can trick your body into thinking that you do not need more air and you may black out and never get your next breath.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Myths and bad information
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »
well I am guilty to this day of that and will continue to but with much attaention, but here is one for you do not tuck you extra length of weight belt back threw your belt you are baiscally putting a not in it make hard to get rid of quickly whne in a emergency.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline speargearshop

• Sven Anderson Owner- speargearshop.com
    • speargearshop - high performance spearfishing hardware and lifestyle clothing
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »
Myth- That regardless of how long you've been at it, that you know it all.  Go take a PFI course.   :thumbsup:

Fact- I took a guy from Florida diving here.  The guy had never been in the Pacific, never in anything approaching 50 degrees.  Good freediver and ridiculous spearo. I gave him a CA 101 on the way to one of my spots.  I gave him an iron and I pointed to a place to look.

I shit you not, the guy comes up with a 10-1/4". First dive, first ab, first 10".  "Hey, what's hard about this?!"   :BangHead:

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:28:45 PM »
You can use the same amount of weight for freediving and scuba. In most cases you should have less for freediving. If not you will be fighting to stay on the surface when breathing up.  Nothing is more irritating than starting to breath in and sucking a mouth full of water.  Busts the concentration every time.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
Stream line yourself, don't strap a bunch of crap on yourself, that you'll never use in the first place.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

rangair94

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:59:18 PM »
Stream line yourself, don't strap a bunch of crap on yourself, that you'll never use in the first place.

X2

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 05:16:04 PM »
If you have fins with buckles tape them up your feet have stoped growning and it is one less thing to get hung up in the kelp makes your fin much more stream lined !
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:18:56 PM »
Plan your dive dive your plan!
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline Geoffrey

• Carpe de Carp ~ Latin ~ "Seize the Fish"
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »
Do you mean to tell me that "Snipes" aren't shellfish?

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:10:53 PM »
Do you mean to tell me that "Snipes" aren't shellfish?

Yes they are they only come out at night.  They also like the taste of peanut butter. Find a nice calm cove O/C works well go down to the water about midnight smear a bunch of peanut butter on your gloves sit on a rock put both hands in the water and move them back and forth slowly.  In a couple of minutes there will be several attracted.  Then slowly move the opisit hand under it and grab hold.  Remember the limit is six. 

Please do not tell anyone this is my best snipe spot.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 08:19:17 PM »
When ab diving do not fasten your ab iron or gauge to your wrist.  If you reach into a hole to grab something the ab iron or gauge can get stuck holding you in place. 
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
i always have my ten gauge on my wrist and have been hooked twice. just had to calm down and look at what was going on, it was easier to get loose than i thought. not that im saying its ok to hook stuff on your wrist im just saying if you do be prepared and be carefull.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
i always have my ten gauge on my wrist and have been hooked twice. just had to calm down and look at what was going on, it was easier to get loose than i thought. not that im saying its ok to hook stuff on your wrist im just saying if you do be prepared and be carefull.

Glad it worked out Ok for you but think is you were after that 10" ab that dropped way back under that rock and you had to reach in real far stayed down a little longer because it to drop and wanted to grab it before it sucked back on you got it and start to pull your hand back out and it will not come out and you can't reach your other hand to free the strap and you can't pull free.  all you can do is look at the surface a few feet away and pray you have enough strenght to break the strap.
Myrel C. Willeford

Calif_Diver

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 10:32:34 PM »
I usually have my bar lanyard around my wrist too, i just don't tighten the lanyard real tight, had it stuck under an ab once and had to yank my hand out and  it pulled my glove off,It took me a few dives to find my glove,but learned not to tighten the lanyard  to tight.

Offline Tino B

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »
When you entry consists of big sharp rocks...and most other times...:D
ALWAYS watch the ocean for at least 10 minutes. 
It can be tuff if you are like me, but well worth the wait learning the swell/wave pattern.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt