collapse

Author Topic: Which Kayak?  (Read 460 times)

chadwtts

Which Kayak?
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:33:59 AM »
Looking to buy a yak. I've narrowed it down between the Ocean Kayak Prowler Angler and Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140. Does anyone have any advice and experience with these brands? Is there another brand that I should consider? I'm also looking into getting a fish finder for the yak?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I make my investment. 

yakfisher

Re: Which Kayak?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:13:19 AM »
If you are diving you should consider the Ocean Kayak Trident. I have owned many kayaks and fished/dove from them. They all had good/bad points. The trident is in a class of its own for diving. It has a rod pod in the cockpit that will accept guns and even 7 foot one piece rods. Having the hatch in the cockpit makes all the difference. A big hatch up on the bow is a pain to retrieve gear from on the water. The Trident also has a considerably higher weight capacity for carrying a bunch of gear, fish etc. You can check out mine May 1st if you are going. I will have 4 or 5 different kayaks there. 

Offline Tim C.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:55:43 AM »
I have a 587ci fishfinder on my Hobie Outback.  It's coupled with a GPS--which I highly recommend with your ff.  You can mark your dive or fish sites with just a push of a button and have it right in front of you for easy access.  I still keep a hand held GPS stored in my hatch--just in case...

chadwtts

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »
Thanks for the input. I will check out your kayak on the 1st.
The Gps would be a nice addition to a fish finder.

chadwtts

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »
I just checked out the ocean kayaks on line again. What's your opinion on the Trident 13 or the 15?

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt