collapse

Author Topic: Pony bottle?  (Read 3268 times)

Calif_Diver

Pony bottle?
« on: July 19, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »
Do any of you bubble blowers dive with a pony bottle when hunting? i have one  but im not liking how i have it rigged. I have a rubber bungie  thing  around my neck for the  second stage, it  seems to sometimes get tangled in my  computer hose when i reach for the computer. Any of you guys  have yours set up differently, and does it interfere with your  hunting. I didnt use  the pony last trip over and im thinking i should  use it every  dive since i have it might as well use it for safty sake.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
Re: Pony bottle?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:21:54 PM »
I assume you know this but it is against the law to use it when you are hunting for abs. 

I would think it is more of an entanglement risk to have it and that may outway the value of having it along.  If carrying it and it is what caused you to get tangled up and need it why did you take it in the first place.

Having a scuba bottle in the car could come in handy if you lose some gear.  But having one in a boat in Nor Cal is a no go if you take any abs.
Myrel C. Willeford

Calif_Diver

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:35:59 PM »
Yea  i was asking about hunting on scuba for fish, i am fully aware of the laws concerning abolone since ive been doing it for 20 years. the second stage  donesnt get tangled as much as its in the  way and catches on the  computer  at times , althoug im aware it happens and i have used the poney a  bunch of times i wasnt hunting  when i had the pony on, but  i think trying to load spear gun and  string a fish  would  be  some more concerns, im just courious how and if any one else has a pony bottle rigged when they dive with one.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
I have never dove with a pony bottle one of my friends did he had it strapped across his chest and it was a giant cluster f@ck for him.  If you really need the spare air can you rig it to the right or left of your tank?  use a couple of large hose clamps to attach it to your tank so all it would take to get it on and off is a couple of twists.

It just seams like a lot of junk to carry around while you have a speargun in your hand.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:18:50 AM »
Personelly I think it is just one more thing to get tangled up and possably lose.  No need for them. I have you thought about the spare air, but I have seen guys dive with those and they to are bulky and cumbersome when straped to you.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Calif_Diver

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:00:30 PM »
Ill probably on ly use it if im site seeing or maybe tryin to find some scallops,not with a gun.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »
Here is my question why do you think you need it?  You said you have used it several times while on scuba.  Why did you use it?  Were you out of air? did your primary airsorce quit on you?  Did you suck your tank dry without knowing it? or were you just using it for a little extra bottom time?

Myrel C. Willeford

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 10:41:46 AM »
Do any of you bubble blowers dive with a pony bottle when hunting? i have one  but im not liking how i have it rigged. I have a rubber bungie  thing  around my neck for the  second stage, it  seems to sometimes get tangled in my  computer hose when i reach for the computer. Any of you guys  have yours set up differently, and does it interfere with your  hunting. I didnt use  the pony last trip over and im thinking i should  use it every  dive since i have it might as well use it for safty sake.

Why do you need a pony bottle while hunting? Are you diving solo? Does the sheer excitement have you breathing your tank down faster than when you're not hunting? Have you thought about getting a bigger tank or sticking closer to your dive buddy?

Two weeks ago I was trying out my new pony bottle that I bought on craigslist. It's a 30cuft bottle and I have it rigged like a stage bottle. I found it really cumbersome just using it without being task loaded with a gun or my camera. If I were to use my pony in the future, I think I'll have it sitting next to my tank instead, so that it's out of the way.

-eR
20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Calif_Diver

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »
Here is my question why do you think you need it?  You said you have used it several times while on scuba.  Why did you use it?  Were you out of air? did your primary airsorce quit on you?  Did you suck your tank dry without knowing it? or were you just using it for a little extra bottom time?

Its  redundent safety air tank, Just in case.  I hope i never have to use it.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 04:18:20 PM »
I agree it is cumbersone,BUT  i would rather have it on IF i ever ran out of air, (which i never have) im pretty cautious about my air useage i  often come up with several hundred to 1000lbs of air,MY question wasnt about why   i use it ,it was about if any one else uses one and where do  you  attach it to your gear. Currently mine is on a bungie i have worn around my neck and i don not likethat.I will figure out a different way before my next dive. Thanks for all the replys.PS I know one person who has had to use one due to malfuntion of a first stage at 80 ft.

NorCalDvr

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »
I am currently looking for a 20cf bottle and a harness that will be out of the way. I agree that when hunting darn near everything gets in the way, but... I have begun to flirt with the dark side of diving solo and when hunting sometimes even with the best buddy you are solo. I want to go home to my kids every time I dive so there is nothing wrong with a little insurance. just my 2 pennies

Calif_Diver

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »
Norcaldvr i know what ya mean by diving solo with a dive buddy lol. I had the occasion of haveing to buddy breath my dive buddy to the surface last year due to a pony bottle.
MY bottle has a yellow hose and my  personal second stage i have a fitted mouthpiece.His did not ,when he flopped out of the boat he had his pony  second stage in his mouth, needless to say ten minutes or so later he was at my face wanting my regulator,he took mine and i use my airsource to the surface,just a idea for any one using a pony  have them clearly marked as i do, that wont happen to me, its funny now but at the time it wasnt,and this guy is a well trained diver.A mistake was made that he wont again i bet.

NorCalDvr

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »
Although I have never been in an OOA situation I have recognized many situations real or possible that could or had led to a real emergency. An extra air source could only have helped. My thought is to have a pony bottle with a separate first stage and second stage completely tucked out of the way. I have considered it strapped to my stomach horizontally with the hose bungied to the tank, and the tank clipped with a harness that I believe you can get to readily. That way it is manageable and available. I would still use a primary second stage and an octo ( donate your primary second stage to an OOA diver and a bungee necklace for your octo. If (insert your god) forbid you run out of air by your self (or your primary has a failure) you have a second compleat air source to get you to the surface. Those are my thoughts I have been looking into this for a while all the long flirting with disaster.  Sorry about being so Long winded.

Mike

Calif_Diver

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »
I dont mind the long winded BS  ;D  yeah im set up pretty goog the pony has its own first and second stage and an air source on the BC.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 11:03:24 PM »
Cal Diver that is a great reason to have a pony bottle.  That is what I was hoping (If you kept running out of air all the time that would be bad and you would need to re plan how you dive)

Here is an idea you could make a frame with one side cut to fit your scuba tank AL 80 for exmple and one side cut for your pony bottle then use a spare nylon tank strap to secure it to your primary tank. Place it on the right or left as close to your back as your BC will allow run your pony bottle reg up and attach it on the right of your BC.  Near your backup reg.  I would use a diffrent method of attaching the regs so you know which is which. 

This would keep the tank out of your way and securely fastened and keep your air source avalable to you for use.  It would also keep your chest area clear for loading a speargun. 

Myrel C. Willeford

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt