collapse

Author Topic: Equalizing  (Read 1237 times)

Offline snaildiver

Equalizing
« on: April 19, 2010, 03:57:54 PM »
Hey Guys,

Mot and I (Snaildiver) went out April 19th for our first dive of the season :hello2: We dove off horseshoe.  It was my first time there and dang, that cliff is steep and hard to climb back up especially after you pick your abs.  The vis. we got was between 3-5feet.  You saw nothing until you are about to hit bottom!  Someone wrote they got 7-8 feet of vis.  Where was that?  :protest: Anyways, I ran into a problem equalizing.  At the surface, I equalized and as I'm diving down, I'm pinching and blowing.  I think around 25 feet, it becomes much more difficult so I go vertical equlize and able to go down a little more before I have to do it again.  I would have to do this constantly and still get ear pains.  This pain wasn't there when I was around 15-20 feet.  So I have two questions.

1) My left ear now feels clogged.  How long will I continue to feel this way before it returns to normal?

2) How do I prevent this from happening again in the future. 

Alex

p.s. I didn't find any 10's but I did find an awesome abalone pearl!!! :cya:   
Alex L.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Equalizing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »
lets se a pic of it I have yet to find anything bigger than a very small bebe and I mean small and they all have ben black or beige in color
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline ASteve

• A Steve Cali Outdoor Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:34:45 PM »
Not sure this is what is up but....I got this from: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=13

Symptoms of Barotrauma

"The most common barotrauma symptom a diver experiences may be mild discomfort to intense pain in the sinus or middle ear - this is usually the first indication of a problem in equalizing. Middle ear barotrauma may also include symptoms of ringing or hearing loss. As blood or fluid accumulates in the middle ear a diver may experience a partial, complete or muffled hearing loss as well as damage to the inner ear. Roaring in the ear, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, a sensation of spinning and decreased hearing may also indicate inner ear barotrauma, which requires urgent specialized treatment. Blood from the nose or in the sputum is also an indication of barotrauma and does not have to be associated with other symptoms. These are symptoms that should probably end the day's - and possibly the week's - diving. Continuing to dive with barotrauma may result in serious injury."

You probably should see a doctor to check it out too, and should not dive until you have resolved this issue.  Your hearing will depend on it...

Be careful and good luck.

SC

Pacific Freediver

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 05:25:17 PM »
Snaildiver- 

Here's a great link to Dr. Edmons Kay's lecture on equalizing-  6 part series.

http://pacificfreediver.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=127&func=view&catid=247&id=55#55

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »
With allergy season starting up i take some sudafed before diving.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:49:01 PM »
Same thing happened to me on the last dive of the season last year, I still have a loud buzzing and gurgling in my right ear; plus my hearing is about 50 to 60 % gone in that ear. I did go see a doctor, I had a small hole in the drum, but no infection. He gave me antibiotic just in case, and told me to stay out of the water till the hole healed, (about 3 weeks). I would strongly suggest seeing a doctor for, you don't want to make it worse. The buzzing drives me nuts, the only thing that's cool is now I have an excuse to say I didn't hear you say that dear. anyway very important to see a doc.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Calif_Diver

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »
Stacy when i see you diving again I'm gonna loan you my hearing aids so you dint miss a word your wife says . :laughing7: :laughing7:

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 07:28:40 AM »
Thanks for all the info and great links.  You always learn something new on this board!  I'll let it rest until the end of the week and if it doesn't feel better, I'll see the doctor. 

Matt: I've dug through easily over 3 seasons of abalone guts.  This was the first time I found something bigger than sand bits.  It does look like a bebe and grayish in color.  That's a beauty in my eye.  Hopefully I find something bigger this season.  I'll post a picture as soon as I get a chance. 
Alex L.

Glaucus

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 09:38:55 AM »
I always seem to have a harder time equalizing in the beginning of the season, and the old timer who showed me how to dive said that was kinda common.  Yesterday was no exception.  Maybe my ears just need to get used to clearing again (or maybe it is allergies like someone suggested).  I don't know.  When I'm diving once or twice a week I hardly have to pay any attention to clearing though.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »
Stacy when i see you diving again I'm gonna loan you my hearing aids so you dint miss a word your wife says . :laughing7: :laughing7:
No No I'm good it's working out well for me LOL don't let her know that
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt