collapse

Author Topic: float line ?  (Read 937 times)

Calif_Diver

float line ?
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »
Ive read some of you use a floatline for your gun and Ab iron on the north coast. Do you use a float  or kelp carrot too or just the line float enough?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: float line ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:48:22 AM »
I use a smll watter bottle attached to the end of mine that I have painted bright orange and I know my buddy Rob has a small float on his as well.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Flyin Brian

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:10:49 AM »
I have a few different lines and more than a few ways to rig them:

I have a 35' hard plastic "National Divers" float line, orange, with a 6" oval float on the end that I got from West Marine.  I hook my ab iron to this and when I pull up somewhere to hunt on my kayak, I usually just toss the ab iron in the water before I even get my fins on.  If the line disappears and all I see is the float sticking up, I know it's probably deeper than I want to go on my first dive of the day, and I may consider moving.

I have a 50' neptonics line and I usually hook this to my main gun, regardless of what I am hunting, and leave the other end hanging loose if I am in kelp.  I would like to get a carrot for it.

I have 100' foot lines and a bungee line for YT or WSB, but I don't use either of those for the north coast.

Abdvrob

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 12:35:23 PM »
I have a few different lines and more than a few ways to rig them:

I have a 35' hard plastic "National Divers" float line, orange, with a 6" oval float on the end that I got from West Marine.  I hook my ab iron to this and when I pull up somewhere to hunt on my kayak, I usually just toss the ab iron in the water before I even get my fins on.  If the line disappears and all I see is the float sticking up, I know it's probably deeper than I want to go on my first dive of the day, and I may consider moving.

I have a 50' neptonics line and I usually hook this to my main gun, regardless of what I am hunting, and leave the other end hanging loose if I am in kelp.  I would like to get a carrot for it.

I have 100' foot lines and a bungee line for YT or WSB, but I don't use either of those for the north coast.

You sound pretty dialed in Brian. I'd like to snag me a YT or WSB sometime.

Offline thereefgeek

• Do what you like, not what your friends like.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »
I made 2 of my own floatlines.  Nor Cal ended up being 43', So Cal is 60', and I can clip them both together for a 100+ footer.

For North Coast, I use the 43' on my gun and drop the gun to the bottom (bands loaded) while I hunt for abs and use the gun to mark trophys.  Depending on conditions, I'll clip my Boogie board to the kelp and hunt concentric circles around the area with a small Kelp Carrot on the floatline.  Other times I'll drag my board around on the end of my floatline and hunt with the bottom end of the line attached to my gun.
-Rich VanDusen (my friends call me "Dick")
www.svrambleon.com

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »
 I use a 30' that I made myself. If im diving for abs my iron is attached when spearfishing my weapon and i attach the other end to my float tube..I guess i cant call it a tube considering my float is inflatible but is shaped like a mini zodiac. anyways this works great for me. If im diving thick kelp I leave it off my float and attach a water bottle thanks to matts great idea... Oh and I should say it was very inexpensive to make all together it cost me about $9.00 and some change
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline Flyin Brian

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 05:18:59 PM »
how do you guys attach the water bottle?

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 05:25:26 PM »
 I use zip ties they seem to work well. Im not sure what matt uses though
Jason Holliday

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 06:53:12 PM »
Zip ties they work for every thing they are the new duct tape and bailing wire.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
 So i guess the expresion has changed if you cant duck it zip it...... and yea the zip ties work great
Jason Holliday

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt