collapse

Author Topic: Speargun wood.......  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
Speargun wood.......
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »
I had to visit a site in Oakland today for work.  On the way I stopped in a few places to try to buy couple of rubber wheels for my 14" band saw since mine are shot.   What I found instead was a  great place that sells a nice selection of exotic woods.  It is MacBeaths (sp?) on Ashby between San Pablo and 80 in Emeryville.  What a selection they had.  Did I mention that I have been inspired to build a little gun for the north coast?

I was so tempted to purchase a boat load of stock, but didn't.  I need those wheels first.   

Anyway, if any of you bay area guys are in the mood to build a gun and need a spot to check for wood, this place might be worth a shot.  The people were helpful and nice, and the wood looked good.  The selection was much better than the place in Sacto I checked yesterday, and they were out of wheels to boot.

Fortunately, my Oakland job will be going on for the next two years, so I should be able to pick up a few goodies from this place on subsequent trips.

MN

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
Re: Speargun wood.......
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:28:25 PM »
Did you use the rubber or the poly wheels for your saw.  I got a set from grizzly or rockler I forget they are supposed to last longer than rubber.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline thereefgeek

• Do what you like, not what your friends like.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:50:03 AM »
Nice Mike, I can't wait to see what you come up with for a gun design.
-Rich VanDusen (my friends call me "Dick")
www.svrambleon.com

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 03:55:02 PM »
Myrel - The old wheels are rubber, the new wheels will probably be poly.  I struck out on a lead for a shop in Martinez today.  I think I'll have to settle for an on-line  source for these parts.  Finding these things at a store is harder for me than finding a 10" ab.

Rich - I 'm looking forward to it also.  I have a few sketches in the works for the stock, now its just a matter of pulling the trigger on the material choice.  I have contacts at a lumberyard in Sac where I worked in high school and Jr college. I scouted out their selection and I am leaning towards an Ipe and rock maple laminated stock, they have some other stuff that might work, but it didn't look too user friendly for this application.  I plan to use six 3/8" x 2" peices, two Ipe and 4 maple.  I'll lay it out M-I-M-M-I-M for a racing stripe look on the top and bottom.  That will give me a  full 2x2 to start with from that I'll cut out a tapered blank. For this selection the price was right, one case of MGD for wood plus milling.

If those woods doesn't work out I'll go with some other woods like purple heart or padauk and maybe yellow heart or teak. Too many choices.

Next I'll have to figure out the hardware.

MN

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Hi Mike, Did you give Woodcraft and Rockler a try I think they had them in stock you can also order on line.  Grizzly has them in the on line catalog.  They are not too hard to put on make sure your water is hot! and you have gloves.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »
Woodcraft was out twice, so I ordered a set of urethane wheels on line.   They should be here soon.

I did glue up a blank today. This one is about 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 and 32" long.

MN

46inchwoody

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 10:45:56 PM »
nice blank, what wood did you go with?
I'm working on my own gun right now too, I'm using pacific yew that I harvested and milled myself.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 11:05:49 PM »
That is going to make a nice looking gun.
Myrel C. Willeford

Abdvrob

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »
I cant wait to see what you guys come up with. I'll be starting my gun in a bit too. Keep the posts coming in on the progress with the guns. Im extremely interested in seeing how they're coming along. Thanks.

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »

The wood is Ipe and rock maple.  They also call Ipe, Iron wood and Brazilian walnut.

Here is the final blank, 1-7/8" x 1-7/8" x 31.5", I trimmed it this evening.  I guess that's the easy part.     Now I have to figure out the rest.   ???

I think I am gunna use the remaining stock and make a 40" blank.

MN

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 10:24:15 PM »
Looks like a nice blank.  I would now rip a pine blank the same size.  I like to do all my test cuts on scrap wood.  This will let you get your setup right before you cut your good blank.

There is a little trial and error work when you are building a gun so let the errors be on the scrap. 
Myrel C. Willeford

46inchwoody

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 10:32:31 PM »
nice, I'm familiar with Brazilian walnut, never herd of rock maple, is it allot harder then regular maple?
I'm doing the mec. cavity and spear channel first, the gearhead mill makes it really easy.

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 10:40:53 PM »
Good tip on the pine.  I'll do that.

I couldn't tell you what the difference is between maple and rock maple if there is any at all.

The stuff works pretty easy and is softer than the Ipe.

MN

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt