collapse

Author Topic: Abulón con Chile Rellenos  (Read 870 times)

Offline todd

Abulón con Chile Rellenos
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:21:11 PM »
Abulón con Chile Rellenos
Funny how Baja Mexico still has a commercial abalone fishery, yet in this Baja theme we find our next gluttanous treat. REAL Chile Rellenos, not some pickled jared up greyish green things from a can.  If we risk our lives for the Abulon, then we must treat it with  the proper respect it deserves, baja style! 
First get yourself some deep dark green Pasilla peppers, they are thin walled but long available at any mercado including safeway.  Yeah its easy to open up a can of pre-roasted peppers but let do it the 5th level way shall we?  Take the peppers and fire roast them, make sure every side has some light char on it, transfer fire roasted peppers to a plastic bag, the steam produced will help the outside skin come off when its time to peel them in a few minutes.  So the peppers are peeled on the chared outer skin, next make one cut down the peper and skillfully cut out the seeds keeping the papper somwhat intact in the process, make one pepper per person.  Now take some tenderized abalone stakes, pre-heat the cast iron skillet and sear the abulon with "manteca", rendered pork fat, available in "crisco like form" un-refridgerated on the self at market, if you cant get the real deal, use bacon drippings.  Take out the seared abalone and deglaze pan with lemon juice and drip back over the abalone, cut abalone into small pieces the way carne asada is chopped, garnish with minced cilantro, reserve for later.  Take some mellow cheese like monterey jack and stuff the pepper with cheese and the  seared abulon.  Now comes the hard part for REAL Chile rellenos.  Separate at least 6 egg whites from thier yolks.  2 eggs per pepper.....Whip the egg whites with a little salt unti it forms stiff peaks, 10 minutes around the camp fire and you will get stiff peaks.  Take the egg yolks mixed and use 1/3 to mix with the egg whites. Now gently fold in the remaining egg yolks and quickly dredge the stuffed abulon peppers into the light and fluffy egg mixture.  Transfer to the same iron skillet oiled with pork fat "manteca" or bacon drippings, flip when browned and serve while hot.  What a process, can you imagine eating canned abalone from baja mexico with fresh peppers, just like we eat canned peppers with fresh abalone? Never again! try this recipie and be sure to make your abalone party a real fiesta......
Todd Stagnaro

Glaucus

Re: Abulón con Chile Rellenos
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 08:02:05 AM »
Daaamn, this sounds good.  What are you a chef or something?  I like to cook, but all I've ever done is fry abs, bake them and make ab cakes (like crab cakes)..  You really do take it to another level!  Thanks again for all the good ideas.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 06:50:40 PM »
 Looks like we have a new Abalone cook book author amongst us. Sounds great I cant wait to try it. Everyone watch out at the cookoff....Oh and we want all our copy's autographed :laughing7:
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Glaucus

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »
Thanks Todd!  I made this last night and it was damn good.  I was lazy and just used veg oil, so the flavor was probably not as good as if I'd used the "manteca", but the wife and I are hooked.  You were right, you have to have everything ready to rock when you whip the eggs, they do separate quickly.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »
sounds good

Matt why don't you start a thread for abalone recipies and copy all that have been posted into one and we can all post to it? 

Then we can print it up in a year or so and sell it to make a few bucks to support our sport.
Myrel C. Willeford

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt