collapse

Author Topic: spear shaft/SS wishbone  (Read 820 times)

Calif_Diver

spear shaft/SS wishbone
« on: July 18, 2009, 07:06:42 AM »
Does any one use stainless steel cable on your bands .instead of dynema or the articulated wish bones? i bought a threaded shaft and it cut the dynema  first loading,i want to keep the shaft but i dont want to use the articulated wishbones,i saw the SS on Mako site and was courious  if any one uses them  and what is the pros and cons. thanks.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
Re: spear shaft/SS wishbone
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
Sounds like there is a sharpe edge on the shaft.  It would not bother the metal articulated one but it will cut the dynema.  See if you can round and smooth it a little and it should be ok. They also sell little sleves to go over the dynema at wallens.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline thereefgeek

• Do what you like, not what your friends like.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:41:44 AM »
I'm guessing it's a notched shaft and not shark fin?
Like Myrel said, a fine round file like a jewelers file to smoth the edges on the notch
-Rich VanDusen (my friends call me "Dick")
www.svrambleon.com

Calif_Diver

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:34:48 AM »
yes notched shaft and i did file it  quite a bit  but i guess not enuff, i just dont want to  have to change the dymema alot  and thought maybe the SS would be better>

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »
If is is sharp enough to cut the dynema it will also cut the cable not as fast but you would with a frayed cable and it would rip up your gloves my brother had the problem with one of his cables that got frayed wishbones. 
Myrel C. Willeford

Calif_Diver

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »
now im wishing i  wouldnt have bought the shaft and looked for a RA threaded shaft instead, but i was in a hurry  so i guess its my bad. ANY one want to  buy a picasso threaded shaft?

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 10:35:07 AM »
think of it this way once you get it rounded off it will be good to go the rest of the time you own it.
Myrel C. Willeford

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt