collapse

Author Topic: Red and Purple Urchin.......my favorite way to do them justice  (Read 1648 times)

Offline todd

Urchin, so many culture praise these splendid Echinoderm's, highly evolved animals with unique sensory organs.  So important to our evolution we have spent massive amounts of money and research mapping out the genome of the anaimal comprised with a Aristotles Lantern for a mouth, Often they get in the way of our search for more prized game but dont forget to fill you bag with some prime specimins to eat back on shore.  The Purple urchin do not get as big as the Red Urchin and thus are less desirable but both are highly desirable for their gluttanous properties.  If your like me you have a fancy Urchin opener which helps split the urchin in half after you jab the tool into the Aristotle Lantern mouth.  The golden  creamy colored Roe is attached to the shell in two places, use your finger or small spoon to gently get out.  Wash off any Urchin gut connected to the individual pieces of roe and wash with cold fresh water.  If you have lemon or soy sauce, thats all you need for fresh shashimi style sushi, its like the essence of the sea with every bite. Everyone knows about Urchin omoletts or  flat-top grill seared Urchin benehana style with garlic butter but  If you have more time and a little savy you can do this.  Take some sizzors and cut around the aristotles mouth and remove the mouth from the "test" body of the Urchin.  Then you have a circle opening.  Take the Urchin and bang it upside down and empty the contents which will be roe and guts.  Separate and clean roe.  Clean the shell inside very thorough, reserve for later.  The Roe is best unbroken but most times one or two roe sacks will pop, take these oozing pieces and mix them into the eggs, two eggs to one big Red Urchin.  Mix the egg and urchin until smooth, add a little milk, cream, or if not available use a tablespoon of water.  Salt and pepper to taste. Next fill the empty Urchin shell with the "egg custard" and then use one of your perfect Roe pieces and put in the middle of the custard in the shell.  Next steam for 15 minutes or place on the grill over low heat until eggs set.  Once done,  top with some cilantro and notice the how the Urchin essence merges  and embues with the eggs, its perfect pairing of flavor.  This is my ultimate Iron chef recipie when it comes to celebrating the culinary treat so often overlookd here on out california coast.
Todd Stagnaro

Offline Abking

• It means nothing w/o Honor
Re: Red and Purple Urchin.......my favorite way to do them justice
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
I tried some raw for the first time last fall.  It was a little funky.  Your recipe sounds good and makes me want to give it another try.  Thanks for posting it.

Where are you located?

Eric

Offline mot

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 07:56:23 PM »
I am a urchin fan myself. I usually only eat them with a little wasabi and soy. I like the sound of this recipe! I will try this. I have question about the shell prep though. Do you cut the whole bottom of the shell open to the largest diameter of the urchin?

bherdal1

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »
What's the time span on freshness? How long will they keep on ice after picked?

Offline ASteve

• A Steve Cali Outdoor Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
Urchin can last up to a week.  Place row in a quart jar and place the quart jar in bowl of ice.  Now place the bowl of ice in the refrigerator and the row will keep fresh for a week.  Just replenish the ice during the week.

Todd, I am definitely going to try that recipe.  Thanks.

SC

Offline sydwayz04

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 08:33:21 PM »
either way eating it is kinda like eatind bait or something, it just aint right..lol but the way above sounds almost doable but i still dont know maybe some day
one breath at a time....

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »
MMM....mmmm.  I love urchin.  I look forward to trying this recipe.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:38:37 PM »
The first time I cut into live urchin, the look and smell turned me off.  It's black inside and stunk  :puke:
A few months later, a friend suggested I throw it in fried rice and it was much better.  I washed the roe four times to remove the strong flavor and more edible for the newbie urchin eater.  So I'm now a fan and looking forward to the custard recipe!  Thanks Todd
Alex L.

Offline todd

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »

check out the Iron Chef Urchin battle!!!

Todd Stagnaro

Glaucus

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 11:37:28 AM »
Nice, thanks for the post Todd.  I never noticed this one until you added the video.  I have always liked urchin, but all I do is eat it raw while I'm in the water.  Having a recipe sounds like fun.  Where did you get such an interesting recipe???

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 12:07:41 PM »
Speaking of Irn chef has anyone watched the one they did on abalone if you go to you tube type in iron chef abalone you can wtach all 5 parts.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline todd

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 07:52:27 PM »
Yeah I watched the abalone battle, its had japanese chef Morimoto.  Kind of hard to do all those fancy asian dishes, too bad Iron Chef French Sakai did get picked, I was hoping he would get the nod then we would have seen something more approachable for home chefs, both using familiar ingredients and western  French style.....at least he got the nod for urchin battle, ha
Todd Stagnaro

Offline mot

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »
I just made this and it was a hit. Todd you got some good stuff! When I cooked this I was surprised by how much the egg expanded out of the shell and then collapsed back in. Here is a before and after pic.
[smg id=854]       [smg id=855]

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt