collapse

Author Topic: Park closures and Sonoma / Mendocino coast access  (Read 1138 times)

Offline danton

Park closures and Sonoma / Mendocino coast access
« on: April 09, 2020, 01:21:50 PM »
Hello NCUH!

First time poster, I hope this message finds you all in good health. I'm curious if folks know if the current shutdown of public parks in Sonoma and Mendocino effectively outlaw access to the coast line?

The State is indicating vehicular access is restricted to all parks, but parks are open unless explicitly listed: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30350

On the other hand, the county sites say all parks are closed.

Offline ryang85

Re: Park closures and Sonoma / Mendocino coast access
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
Across the whole west coast it seems very unpredictable. In Oregon they claimed all parks are closed but in reality close to nothing is actually changed. Its only keeping people from  inland going to the coast.  Legally  as citizens we all have access to any coastline below the  mean high water mark.   Its getting to the beach its the problem . Once your on the beach your not breaking any rules, assuming you parked legally.

They are allowed to close off all parking lots and make things a real hassle. Which they are doing.  They closed most gates and baracaded most  access roads.  If you have a secluded  hike in spot while your parked at a pullout, thats your best bet and you may or may not get a ticket. Your probably fine but all it takes is one unhappy warden or sheriff.   Some law enforced say that diving is a " dangerous  activity" and if you need to be rescued you are putting search and rescue at risk.  I personally  am willing to take the risk knowing search and rescue will not come so I think that's a poor excuse for limiting  access.

Also another thing is that CA dfw is currently  talking about   mass recreational fishing closures, the meeting today got canceled  due to technical problems but  no one really know what the plan is. They claim they only want some restrictions to "prevent  spreading"  but California  dfw generally puts  in 100%  effort  when it comes to restrictions.
I know people  gathering on boats have to have the same last names or same addresses.

Washington closed all recreational fishing and Oregon remains open and is planning on remaining open.  So like I said no one really knows whats happening or going to happen.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline danton

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 08:31:34 AM »
Thanks for that info. We all want to do our part to get through the pandemic, but it does seem like closing access to remote areas while requiring people to stand in a 200 person line for 3 hours to go grocery shopping aren't helping society get through this...

I guess Chris Godley might have his private beach access for a while  :P https://sfist.com/2020/03/30/sonoma-county-emergency-manager-takes-heat-for-private-trip-to-closed-beach/

Offline Travis Mills

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 07:31:19 PM »
thanks a lot Ryan.    it's fuking confusing..   everyone still bumping elbows at grocery stores but don't you dare pull over on the side of the road to jump in some saltwater to look for fish with a buddy!

Offline the_derek

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 02:10:17 PM »
anyone know if the noyo beach is closed?
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 04:29:27 PM »
I drove up the Sonoma coast Tuesday to see if there was any access and every place and road side pull-out was roped off with cones or yellow ribbon.
I did see 3 trucks pulled off to the side of the road along the way and I saw two guys in the water.

Offline Michael_Alive

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 04:37:00 PM »
Noyo Beach is open. A lot of pulloffs in mendocino area are open that I've seen. The main restriction is state parks from what I've seen

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt