collapse

Author Topic: Kayak Pro Tips  (Read 2756 times)

Offline andrew37

Re: Kayak Pro Tips
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 08:50:54 PM »
Are you guys rigging the anchor line on the bow or stern of the kayak and why?

How many feet of anchor line do you carry? Another website suggested 7' of line for each foot of depth...seems excessive, but I just don't know. If I was anchoring in 50' I should run 350' of anchor line, hmm.

Definitely don’t need that much. The concept with anchor scope is that you want to allow the chain to lay flat, which serves the dual purpose of acting like a shock absorber and keeping the anchor horizontal on the bottom so it actually digs in. 99% of the places you anchor diving will be shallow enough that you can drop down and wedge your anchor in a rock. The bungee serves as the shock absorber and keeps you from breaking your line or accidentally sinking the boat in heavy swell.

I use a kelp clip for most of my diving, but where I do anchor I tend to eyeball a 3:1 or 4:1 scope. The forces we deal with on kayaks are so much smaller than the forces you deal with in a legitimate boat anchored over sand that it’s never been a problem for me. Not that you can’t pull anchor inadvertently, but especially if you deploy it in a crack, it’s really hard to screw it up.

And I anchor to the bow, partly because I don’t have an anchor trolley and it’s the easiest spot for me to reach from my seat and partly because I find my kayak pulls less if the bow is facing into the wind/current.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:52:39 PM by andrew37 »

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
I attach mine to the stern, but for the same reasons.  It's easier on my yak to reach it on the stern.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 12:00:48 PM »
I would add one thing to keep in mind when launching/landing. If you roll, do not get between your kayak and the shore. The wave coming right behind the one that rolled you is going to send your kayak towards the shore with enough force to break 2 legs if it hits you wrong. My friend actually saw that happen to a woman in Monterey.

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 04:30:11 PM »
Dan speaks truth on that.  I rolled once coming in.  It pushed me face down into the sand and I could not get out from under it for a while. Finally got it off, but a definite eye opener.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »
Most of what is in this video has already been said, but there might be an extra tip or two. Esp helpful is visualizing the anchor line and zip tie set up. I'm also not sure this one got said, but don't launch or land with your paddle clip attached to the paddle. can drown you if the yak flips.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 11:32:18 PM »
I like that idea of putting a zip tie on the anchor line for a quick release. But that also makes me nervous as a big swell is WAY stronger than anyone giving a solid tug. I think i'd rather pull myself down on the anchor line to free the anchor for my last dive of the day and hopefully nail a ling.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 09:30:47 AM »
I like that idea of putting a zip tie on the anchor line for a quick release. But that also makes me nervous as a big swell is WAY stronger than anyone giving a solid tug. I think i'd rather pull myself down on the anchor line to free the anchor for my last dive of the day and hopefully nail a ling.
I've gotten  a few vermilion that way. Usually  ill sneak down there and just the noise of pulling the anchor out will bring in some vermillion  or lingcod.   

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »
I have a 6' bungee that absorbs a lot of the swell push. I was anchored recently in some pretty nasty swell and didn't have any issues (other than losing my paddle.... like a dummy I forgot to put the paddle leash on)... But I def see your point. The zip tie trick came from hook and liners which makes way more sense for them.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast